New Puppy & Middle Aged Dog

Rose ThornRose Thorn CanmorePosts: 2Member
I got an eight week old Rottweiler puppy last weekend, a dream come true. :) I live with my boyfriend, who has a seven year old Bouvier/Standard Poodle. The problem I am having is that my boyfriend's dog is not a very well behaved dog. He is most of the time, but when he gets excited he jumps all over the place, stops listening, & has even knocked my puppy over a few times. He lifts his leg to mark EVERYTHING when we go for walks, which I learned from reading on the Dog Whisperer's website is a sign of dominance, he just runs around doing his own thing on walks, and if you put a leash on him, he just pulls. I am trying to train my puppy to walk well on a leash, so I can't really be focused on my BF's dog. I have tried leaving him at home, but my BF is working out of town right now, so it's basically up to me to exercise his dog. When I leave him home, he barks like crazy. I am REALLY frustrated-so much for being the calm, assertive pack leader at the moment. :( Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• Cindi LeonardCindi Leonard Plantation, Fla.Posts: 1,670Member
    Accepted Answer
    You have a problem, especially if your Rottie learns from this poodle that he can do whatever he wants and get away with it... and he will. When your dog is 100 lbs. it won't be cute, so if you want him to behave you're going to have to keep him separated from this other dog. Why did you not mandate the training of his dog before the puppy? You can try taking them to classes together, which has a 50/50 chance of working with the older one? Is there anywhere else you can move to raise this new dog? Responsible breeders will not give pups away before week #9, which is the imprinting phase... I hope your pup did not spend any time with the misbehaved dog during that time, because what is learned that week becomes ingrained to memory. Good luck ^_^ and make sure the pup eats his puppy food!!