Focus Training: Strange Dogs, People and Other Distractions

Currently, I'm working on my dog's training, something that I've admittedly been slacking on for the last few months. My dog is a 1 year old american pit bull terrier mix, and while he still has a lot of that playful pup behavior still in him, he has also been exhibiting dominance and stubbornness. 2 weeks ago, he would pull me while walking and act as I wasn't even there, so I started making him sit and look at me every time he attempted to pull. Now, I can almost go on a walk around the block with only a few stops if there aren't too many people or dogs around. With practice and time, my goal is to have my dog focused on me throughout the entire walk no matter the distraction. A look, sniff or two is fine, but that's it. Am I on the right track with having him sit and look at me?