Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

Desperate Help Needed for Training my Corgi/Shepherd

I need help with my one year old Corgi/German Shepherd that I am trying to train as my seizure assistance dog. She is either so skittish that she does one tiny thing wrong and runs and hides or she won't do anything because she doesn't feel like it. I really need help. How do I get my dog to do what I need her to do. It's been two months and I can't even get her to lay down for longer than five seconds. She refuses to walk on the leash the correct way even though we've spent countless days working on it. She won't stop getting distracted by dogs even with all of the socialization. She is a little terror service dog. After two months she refuses to do anything correctly. I can't figure out why. It's super frustrating. I have never raised a hand to my dog, I only use positive reinforcement, but she won't do what she needs to do. When I put on the vest she does alright training in public but she still can't do the seizure alert tricks she has to be able to do to be a real service dog! We are FAR from that... Someone please help...

Best Answers

• Evelyn CummingsEvelyn Cummings Posts: 11,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    Dogs selected as Service dogs must undergo comprehensive testing prior to beginning training. Even with this pre-screening, not all dogs are suited for use as Service dogs. These dogs must have impeccable behavior and attention, especially when it comes to responding while in the public. It sounds to me like your dog is not cut out to be a service dog. Please be aware, more dogs are washed out during training than actually end up as SD's...this is one reason many people opt for an already trained dog since it can be MUCH less expensive, especially in time spent training. I would suggest you hire a private trainer who specializes in training service dogs for an evaluation of your dog. If she is not going to make the grade it would be better to find out now rather than spend more time and money trying to force the issue. In two months of training the average dog should be able to pass a CGC test. one of the first evaluation tests for SD candidates. If your dog is unable to pass this
  • Maria ElenaMaria Elena Posts: 202Member
    Accepted Answer
    Seizure alert dogs are especially trained for that purpose. You can enroll your dog or seek the help of professional providers.
  • Maria ElenaMaria Elena Posts: 202Member
    Accepted Answer
    Seizure alert dogs are especially trained for that purpose. You can enroll your dog or seek the help of professional providers.