Is it separation anxiety or something else?

I have a 1yr old lab/cattle dog mix who when left alone whines and attempts to escape from the laundry room. When we first got him we were placing him in a kennel( which he refused to enter on his own) but we would always come home to a wet dog because he licked his arms and blanket. We decided to give him the laundry room as "his place" with his bed, water, toys specifically designed mental stimulate him. he doesn't touch the treat toys or drink while we are away and has escaped from the room (door doesnt close shut very well and we have a baby gate on the sill) and he has chewed 2 pairs of flipflops or heavily licked other shoes. We go on a walk/run every day for at least 30/45 min and during my lunch we play in the backyard for about 20 min. What i dont get is if we leave him in the back yard unattended he doesnt mind he lays in the grass chews on sticks and never comes up to the door scratching to come in. Any insight would be helpful