Charged with harboring a dangerous dog. Pa what to get to prove otherwise?

My lab pit mix ginko is an escape artist. He has gotten out of our fenced in yard several times. We have made numerous attempts to keep him in the yard. We have put him on a lead whenever he goes out and put up yard timbers to attach the fencing to so he can't get under it. This has worked well until our neighbor was dog sitting 2 small dogs. The whole week the dogs we there they would go crazy at the fence every time I let my dog out. One morning we let our dog out (on his lead) made sure the other dogs weren't out and had to run back in the house. Our dog got into the neighbors yard and injured one of the small dogs. (I think he was trying to play) we took fault because our dog did go into their yard and payed the vet bills. In my interpretation the dog was not severely injured(some stitches). The owner of the dogs and the dog warden decided it was unnecessary to press charges but now the police officer is charging us with harboring a dangerous dog. What can I do to prove he isn't?