Severe separation anxiety and a busy work week. What do I do?

I just moved into a new home and my once well behaved, crate trained dog is now an anxious, whining, wreck. I know I have to re-train him to like the crate again but with working being from Mondays to Fridays and no doggy daycare in this remote part of the country, I can't leave him loose in the house. When I leave, I lure him into the crate with a treat and leave quietly without fuss. When I return from work, I try to wait until he stops panting like a helicopter, drooling, and whining but it usually takes around 3 hours on average if at all for this to happen. I try to sit near him with my computer near the crate but he just keeps whining. Today I let him out to go potty as soon as I got home and then put him back in to wait for him to calm down but it took 6 hours this evening! It's not fair to leave him in for so long but I feel like I'm running out of options. He's broken the plastic crate base and is chewing and bending the metal bars on his wire crate.