Have a 4 year old ACD that has awful anxiety - goes berserk when home alone. Need help/advice.

We have had our ACD since she was 6 months old. She has always been anxious and had issues being alone when we first got her. She eventually got over those issues and had no problem. Now, neary 4 years later, our ACD goes berserk when home alone. She has cost us thousands of dollars in damage over the past 2.5 years, including: Destroyed blinds Closed Doors broken open Loss of groceries (she breaks into the pantry) Urinating and defecating in the house EVERY day It has become unbearable. We believe she is still jealous of our daughter who was born 2.5 years ago, despite the attention she still receives from us, and their own bond. I do NOT want to hear "I should've thought about that before I got a kid" - self-righteous please do not bother answering. We have tried so much, NOTHING works: Changed routine - spend over an hour with her before work every morning, playing outside Clomicalm Prozac Music Taking her with us everywhere NOTHING has worked. PLEASE help!!

Best Answers

• DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    How much exercise does she get? Have you tried crating her? Australian Cattle Dogs are working dogs, so they need a job or lots of exercise. Maybe you could take her to agility classes, herding classes, or hiking, something to get rid of her excess energy and work her mind. A tired dog is a good dog. I hope that helps. Good Luck!
  • Keyla HigginsKeyla Higgins Posts: 4Member
    Accepted Answer
    Tiring you dog out was gonna be my first suggestion but that has been covered already. So, my suggestion would be to practice leaving her alone for short periods of time. Slowly lengthen the time when she starts to get more comfortable. It may take a while but it is worth a try. Getting a crate and giving her things that are ok to destroy are also a good idea. I am currently dealing with a puppy who shrieks like a banshee when left alone.

Comments

• F PiF Pi Posts: 1Member
    Now, I want to make some additional info clear. This situation has gotten so bad that we have made the absolutely heartbreaking decision to try and find our dog another family. I feel that this is the ultimate cop out. If my daughter kept urinating on the floor every day, would I get rid of her? No. And our dog is family to us. She was out first "baby" together. But the destruction and soiling of the house has just gotten out of hand. I cannot stop working, nor can my wife. We cannot afford doggie day care, as we already have a mortgage and daycare expenses...a 3rd $1000 bill per month is not an option. The heartbreaking discussion we have been having in regards to finding her a new home is for HER own good...she obviously is not happy with us anymore, and needs a family where someone is home every day, not working. This is the absolute LAST resort. I do NOT want this. There MUST be a solution.
  • My son also has a heeler pup. he is home every other day with it and only crates it for 8 hrs with potty breaks at lunch and dinner for 2 to 3 days a week. It destroys everything! He jumps in the crate so much he scoots it to whatever he want s to destroy. he can not be left to run loose in the house as he has chewed the stair railing and clothing, shoes , you name it. When he is out he is fairly well mannered but destroys even the indestructible toys.he strapped the kennel to a table but he chewed thru the strap. He may soon find himself up for adaoption. HELP!