Walking my dog in a rural area on a private road

Hi everyone I would really appreciate a reply I've been using Google with no luck. First off I live on a road that's 2miles long and only me and 3 other people live on it. It's privately maintained and there is now a new neighbor. I always walk my dog with no leash and she stays by my side. The neighborhood dogs come out to visit from time to time and no one seems to mind the socializing. Anyway the new neighbor has a very small dog and it came out in the road to sniff my dog /vice-versa. The neighbor then came outside and freaked out in the most obscene way I could imagine. He was screaming at probably the top of his lungs that my dog would hurt his and I was **ect ect for not having my "monster" on a leash. This left me completely confused and baffled. He left a note in my mail box saying the cops will be coming. I know they can't prove anything and the cops will probably laugh. But my basic question is DID I DO SOMETHIN WRONG? WAS I IN MY LEGAL RIGHT? thanks alot