We adopted a 3 year old chihuahua mix 3 days ago and he is showing aggression, can he be rehabilitat

We adopted a dog 3 days ago and at the shelter he showed a reluctance to have his teeth checked but otherwiseashowed no aggression. He was a stray before the shelter and in the last 3 days he has begun to show more and more fear based aggression. Showing his belly, cowering, snapping and growling. It was first only when he got excited and Jon tried to pick him up but now it has escalated to whenever either of us tries to manually move him. He has had no training yet and does not always respond to verbal comands. we plan to have children in the next year so what I am wondering if his behavior can be completely changed, with kids I can't take any risk. I feel horrible but it seems like he has been abused because he is very sweet and loving and just wants to snuggle and then he just snaps into defense terrified mode. Me and jon would be able and willing to try and accommodate his fears but kids cannot. can rehabilitate him or if it would be better to find him a home without future kids.