I need help with my 4 month old lab/retriever mix. Not sure how to help a rescued puppy mill dog, if

I'm not sure if this is where I'm supposed to ask but I have an issue with my new puppy. I'm not exactly sure where she came from. I adopted her about a month ago at my local shelter but no one could give me a straight answer on where she was picked up at. The condition that I got her in, scars on her legs and extremely malnourished, made our vet believe that she had come from either an abusive home or a puppy mill. I've asked my vet about what I can do as far as rehabilitating her and all I was told was that I should look into obedience training. She's very sweet, just with a few issues. Obviously she has an issue with food. We've had to separate her from our other 2 dogs around food time because she refuses to let them eat. That had steadily gotten better over the month, but it still worries me. When we first brought her in, she didn't seem to understand the other dogs were playing with her, as she would snap at them and growl when they tried. That has gotten better too. She actually rolls around with them now. The only thing that doesn't seem to have moved forward is her reaction to us. I've had her snap at me a few times. Last night for example, she was chewing on a blanket. I tried to remove the blanket and give her a more acceptable toy, and she actually got a hold of me. Luckily it has only been me, since she seems to adore my boyfriend. A friend of mine said it could simply be that she is trying to be the alpha female of the house and that I need to fix that. My problem is that I want to help her, I want to love her and make her part of our family, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about helping her and everyone I ask seem to have no useful information at all. I'm worried that with no information on how I should handle this, that I'm going to have to take her back to the shelter because I'm worried about the safety of my other dogs and myself. But I really really want to help her. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas or had been in this situation and knew how to help.