Helping cats adjust to a new home.

I unexpectedly took in 2 cats who were going to be thrown away by their owner. I have them in a spare bedroom with everything they need and I check on them periodically. One is extremely timid and fearful and hides (very well) most of the time. I don't think he ate or drank or used the litter box for the first two days. Not sure if he did last night, but this morning the litter box was full, looked like both cats had used it. Water bowls were not touched. Some food kibble was eaten. The other cat is friendlier and has come out of hiding and let me pet her. I have a coonhound mix who chases outdoor cats. I haven't introduced them. she sniffs their door in the a.m. and p.m. and that's it. The cats are indoor cats and were declawed. I want to do this right and make sure we can all live together. I don't know how or even if I should introduce the dog and the cats. I want to make sure the cats are eating and drinking. Thanks

Comments

• natnatroswell22natnatroswell22 Posts: 41Member

Your patience and understanding during his initial adjustment period can do a lot to help your new cat feel at home.