Bernese attacked 7yr!

Vlad VisanVlad Visan AncasterPosts: 5Member
Our 5yr male Bernese (he's not neutered) just lunged at a 7yr girl. Her family was a guest at my place. Her and her 5yr old sister were wearing large puffy scarfs. He didn't have an issue with the younger one, but when for the neck/scarf of the older one. I pulled him off of her. That was an attack for sure, snarling, teeth, etc.

This dog is otherwise very friendly. My 3yr literally sits on him and he's there like a rug. Our 7yr old cat sometimes annoys him and nothing happens. He's otherwise a very docile guy. 

What the f* happened? Was it that the kid has a little fear of dogs or was it the scarf? He's no longer trusted with visitors and will be locked in the garage during their visit. 

Comments

• Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc BangorPosts: 108,514Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may want to take him to a behaviorist.   Did you get him as a pup or as an older dog.. maybe he was hurt by someone who wore similar clothes... Or it could be the scarf was so different that it scared him.   I had a pony once who was never afraid of anything til a plastic bag flew in front of him it was something he had never encountered before and it terrified him. ....  It might be best to keep him from children he does not until you figure out the cause of the outburst 

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born