Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

Thunderstorm/fireworks anxiety

Kathryn LillisKathryn Lillis PortlandPosts: 4Member
edited 19 October, 2009 in Australian Shepherd
Maggie is an Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix, and she has SEVERE anxiety with thunder and fireworks. I am not talking about the kind of anxiety that can be tamed with some DAP sprayed on a scarf. I have been hoping to find something that works other than meds from the vet. Any ideas?

Comments

• Cisco CarrigCisco Carrig WatervlietPosts: 35Member
    edited 19 May, 2009
    That is a tricky one. Our dogs sense storms before they are even close and get more clingy. The best thing to do is to try not to react to the noise or storms yourself or they will pickup on it. I would try playing with them during a storm the next time. Basically try to associate something positive happening during the storm. If your pup is food motivated, maybe even some food based training to distract them. Good luck!
  • Joshua MadsenJoshua Madsen OrlandoPosts: 321Member
    edited 22 May, 2009
    Thunderstorms are not Thomas' favorite but we usually just pretend like we don't notice it and grab a ball or rope and start playtime. He has gotten a lot better :)
  • bob fosterbob foster west virginiaPosts: 8Member
    edited 27 May, 2009
    my casey doesnt like thunder at all. she wants on a lap when it hits and will be nervous for a long time after the storm is over.
  • Anna GutierrezAnna Gutierrez Hacienda HeightsPosts: 5Member
    edited 23 September, 2009
    We once had an aussie (Molly) that also had SEVERE panic attacks during thunderstorms/fireworks. She would start panting really hard, start shaking and you could see the fear in here eyes. She\'d want to get out of the yard. We would have to put her in her crate inside the house becuase even when she was inside in the house just roaming she\'d be searching for a way to get out and destroy things.
  • Philip BantaPhilip Banta Posts: 25Member
    edited 19 October, 2009
    fireworks are a little easier to work with because of their predictability (most of the time). My aussie was extremely scared of loud 18 wheeler trucks when they would pass on the street. All I did was keep "good boy" going while the track passed and keep on walking like nothing was happening. He would pull back then run forward etc and slowly he was able to get over his fear. Now he walks passed them with no problems!