Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

Everything Chihuahua :)

Eryn WatsonEryn Watson TorontoPosts: 1,025Member
edited 3 November, 2009 in Chihuahua
Hey everyone! I am considering a Chi as my next dog and would love everyone's input... Obviously working at a vet clinic I have seen some stereotypes of smaller dogs...specifically smaller dogs being yappy and nippy I must admit the first time I got bit while working at a vet clinic was NOT by a pit bull or stereotypical 'biting/scary' breed but a Chihuahua! BOL Anyways...a co worker has 2 Chis, a small one and a larger one and I love them! What can you tell me about the breed?...The good...the bad and the ugly ~a~ Also...if someone could tell me about pad training and their experiences and whether house training is good for Chis? Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Linda AspreyLinda Asprey El CerritoPosts: 7,541Member
    edited 14 October, 2009
    Hi, just thought I would give you my input. I never owned a chi, have had small breeds and big breeds. anyway I also was told that chi\'s were yappy and some times snap and not at all good with kids. anyway I was given a chi as a gift, let me tell you I am in love, the only thing that I was not used to is my girl like to be on my lap at all time, it is like having a two year old all the time. I would not trade her for anything, she has become more than just a pet to me, and I can not ever think of life without her. as for pads I live in an appartment that does not have anykind of yard, so she goes on her pads. she will go wet outside when we go for our walks but will not go poop. I do carry doggie bags just in case. if you do choose a chi I think you will fall in love and become a chihuahua nut like I am.oh one more thing my chi loves kids I have small grandkids that she just loves to play with. good luck tiki\'s mom;c;
  • Eryn WatsonEryn Watson TorontoPosts: 1,025Member
    edited 14 October, 2009
    Thanks Tiki! Here is the link for a Chi I am considering. He is currently at a friends rescue and in foster care with another Chihuahua who the foster parent adopted from my friend. I just want to see how I fit with the breed and you never know...maybe I will click with this cutie... http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14841612 Isn't he adorable?! Keep the advice coming
  • Jack's PackJack's Pack AustinPosts: 4,608Member ✭✭
    edited 16 October, 2009
    It is very important to socialize Chihuahuas, no matter their age, because they are prone to fear aggression. Our rescue organization has several foster families with Chihuahua expertise that foster Chihuahuas primarily or exclusively. We host regularly playdates, where we bring the dogs together to interact, which helps build their confidence. You can find organized "playdates" or "meetups" in almost any area, often specifically for dogs of a certain size or breed.
  • Jack's PackJack's Pack AustinPosts: 4,608Member ✭✭
    edited 16 October, 2009
    I noticed the rescue organization refers to Mikey as a teacup. :-/ There is no such thing as a "teacup," the smallest dogs are categorized as toy breeds. The term "teacup" was created by disreputable breeders and puppy millers for the purpose of greater profits and is not recognized by any legitimate kennel club for any breed. Sadly, these dogs are usually bred solely for tiny size, without any concern for their conformation, temperament, and most importantly health. More often than not, an extremely small puppy's size can be attributed to a serious health defect. When rescue organizations use these terms, it provides credibility for the disreputable sellers and their cruel practice of breeding tiny sickly dogs.
  • Kay AyalaKay Ayala SacramentoPosts: 439Member
    edited 18 October, 2009
    I have to tell you, if you're not fully ready for a lifetime friend, who will consider your food, lap, time, attention solely thiers and thiers alone, you're not ready for a Chihuahua. These little scamps bond so very closely with thier owners that it's hard to tell who's the owner and who's the pet!! I strongly suspect that I am my Chihuahua Pennys' pet!! And I LOVE IT!!! She has stolen my heart like no other. I have had other breeds that I loved and cherished, but they weren't bonded to me with the special intesity of this little one! She adores me and is only happy when next to or on my lap. This is fine with me, but if you don't have the time or patience for constant adoration and attention, PLEASE don't adopt this breed!! Also, this is NOT a good breed with small children!!! Not for snappy or yappyness (my baby is neither of these!) but due to the fact that small children can inadvertantly hurt these babies by dropping them or stepping on them. This is another concern with this breed. They adore thier cherished master SO MUCH they will be underfoot quite a bit in thier quest to participate in your life and be part of your "pack." I went barefoot and had my family (youngest child 17) go barefoot for the first few months we had her, as she was constantly underfoot and so very tiny!! You can feel them more easily this way with thier tiny noses touching you for attention. If you wish to be loved enormously and completely, this is the breed for you!!! Sigh, I would have no other, now that I have experienced the wonderful world of Chihuahua!!!
  • Kay AyalaKay Ayala SacramentoPosts: 439Member
    edited 18 October, 2009
    I have to tell you, if you're not fully ready for a lifetime friend, who will consider your food, lap, time, attention solely thiers and thiers alone, you're not ready for a Chihuahua. These little scamps bond so very closely with thier owners that it's hard to tell who's the owner and who's the pet!! I strongly suspect that I am my Chihuahua Pennys' pet!! And I LOVE IT!!! She has stolen my heart like no other. I have had other breeds that I loved and cherished, but they weren't bonded to me with the special intesity of this little one! She adores me and is only happy when next to or on my lap. This is fine with me, but if you don't have the time or patience for constant adoration and attention, PLEASE don't adopt this breed!! Also, this is NOT a good breed with small children!!! Not for snappy or yappyness (my baby is neither of these!) but due to the fact that small children can inadvertantly hurt these babies by dropping them or stepping on them. This is another concern with this breed. They adore thier cherished master SO MUCH they will be underfoot quite a bit in thier quest to participate in your life and be part of your "pack." I went barefoot and had my family (youngest child 17) go barefoot for the first few months we had her, as she was constantly underfoot and so very tiny!! You can feel them more easily this way with thier tiny noses touching you for attention. If you wish to be loved enormously and completely, this is the breed for you!!! Sigh, I would have no other, now that I have experienced the wonderful world of Chihuahua!!!
  • Sara SachSara Sach TulsaPosts: 5Member
    edited 22 October, 2009
    A chi, like any dog will do what it is allowed to do. I am one of two. We do not yap or bite, because we were taught not to. We tend to excuse a dog being yappy becasue they are little, but not a big dog. But they can easily be taught to "hush" when asked to. Weare a very smart breed of dog. my best bud, Rosie was pad trained when she was 14 weeks old. She took right to it. We do have little bladders so we need to go often. Once a chi walks into your life, you will fall in love with them. We want to be held alot, and can be fragile or easily stepped on. Hope this helps.
  • Holly WareHolly Ware BirminghamPosts: 1,316Member
    edited 26 October, 2009
    I know this is over a week old, but still. I think you need to really think about this one as far as size goes, I was not prepared for how small a chi could be. 3lbs is lighter than your average bunny rabbit, and when you're used to shelties, a small dog of maybe 30lbs, a tenth of that can take a lot of getting used to. That means never sitting on a cushion without checking underneath, never opening a door without knocking on it first, and checking under your kitchen cabinets for places where the little thing will get himself stuck. I'd also consider health, the 'teacup' label, the small size and the ckc registration all denote a puppy mill dog, this kind of overbreeding can cause all kinds of issues. But with that said, he is adorable, and does need a good home, I can't say that I would be able to say no if I was you. But just think it through.
  • Stephanie PykeStephanie Pyke OmahaPosts: 1,372Member
    edited 3 November, 2009
    oh I've been doing some reading trying to figure out the possibility of foxxy's breeding, becasue I simply don't know what it is. Chis like small packs. this can be you and your human family and a single dog, or maybe 1-3 other dogs. Chi's tend to be dominant dogs, so be prepared to gently show it that you are the boss, on the same level (albeit considering its size) that you would to a powerful breed like a rottweiller. In fact that is what it thinks it really is. I know foxxy does. She goes to the in-laws and bosses around an Airdale, and a Bernese mountain Dog, and colaborates with the border Collie, and she has my own parent's schnauzers cowed. I believe that outside is the best place for all dogs to toilet, even if they are tiny, and so we go out together. Be prepared to have a velcro dog who follows you everywhere!