Itchy Scratchies

Darrilyn DavisDarrilyn Davis VeronaPosts: 5Member
edited 6 December, 2009 in Chihuahua
My mom has a 7 year old chihuahua that is on seizure medication so that limits the prescriptions for itching. She gets a bumps down the middle of her back and a rash on the inside of her legs and on her bottom. She'll scratch until she bleeds and she'll chew all her hair off if givin the chance. The vet says the only thing my mom can give her is childrens benedryl but that doesn't help. We have tried lotions, anti-itch otc, she gets a bath almost every day and doesn't have any fleas. We've tried giving her a bath twice a month but that doesn't help either. She eats kibbles and bits and whatever my mom eats during the day. I'm pretty sure if it was mange the vet would of said so. If you have any ideas or suggestions i'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

Comments

• Kay AyalaKay Ayala SacramentoPosts: 439Member
    edited 5 December, 2009
    Time to take the poor baby to a doggie dermatologist! I did and it was the only thing that helped. We, also, had tried everything else and then some. Turned out with my dog, it was a skin fungal infection and she has to be on daily antifungals, fluconazole. Everytime we try to take her off, the rash comes back, so she's on it for good. Skin scrapings have been done by the vet, I hope? Itchies are SO uncomfortable! Good luck!
  • Anne MartellAnne Martell Posts: 208Member
    edited 6 December, 2009
    She could also have a food allergy. I would recommend a food change to something like Natural Balance or California Naturals. :D