overweight chihuahua help

Tiffany WilsonTiffany Wilson Studio CityPosts: 9Member
edited 27 December, 2009 in Chihuahua
Hi all my little rescued chihuahua Twink is overweight and she has been since we rescue her a year ago. She should be around 7.5-8lbs and she is 11lbs!! UGH ... she eats 1/4 cup of orijen a day and gets around 20minutes of exercise .. I would do more but she is really not a lover of her walks. Anywho ... my vet wants to put her on Slentrol since she hardly gets any calories and is difficult to walk... but I am just not stoked about that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Like I said she only gets 1/4 of grain free kibble a day and maybe two treats zukes mini naturals ... so not much at all .. but she still has weaight on .. also she had her thyroid levels checked and they are perfectly normal .... has anyone had their chi on Slentrol? Thanks! Tiffany and Twink :-/

Comments

• Jessica BertucciJessica Bertucci Chino HillsPosts: 54Member
    edited 14 December, 2009
    I wish i could help you, as where my chi is just a puppy still and at times has underweight issue due to being a finicky eater. I found some info online though as to what it may be other then thyroid. Possible cushings disease, or dare i say a tumor in the pancreas :(( I would go back to the vet, assuming finances allow for more testing at this time, and tell them to run some more tests. Maybe for those specific things. Good luck! Keep us posted|bb|
  • Anne HoltzAnne Holtz Posts: 10Member
    edited 24 December, 2009
    Have you tried leash training. Maggie hated walks on her leash until I took one afternoon to acclimate her to it. Give treats at the end of each step. 1. I put the leash on her collar while she laid on the bed and gave her a treat. 2. After a few minutes, I held a treat and had Maggie follow the treat around the bed. 3. I got her down and led her around the house with the treat. 4. I held the leash while leading Maggie with a treat in front of her. 5. I put the leash on Maggie and carried her outside. 6. Repeat steps 2-4 outside. Maggie enjoys walking on leash now, especially at the campground. It also makes it harder for her to try going after golf carts.
  • Kay AyalaKay Ayala SacramentoPosts: 439Member
    edited 27 December, 2009
    Sorry to hear your baby's having problems! As a human with weight issues, I hated to exercise too! But I took it in small steps and got used to it gradually and now I can keep up with my "pack"....lol Also, my Chi Penny really enjoys green beans and mini carrots for treats and snacks, maybe your baby would like those, too? They're healthy and cut down on treat calories. Small gradual changes add up to big results!!! You can do it!!! ;c;