Any thoughts on how much Bella may weigh full grown?

Amber ArnettAmber Arnett Posts: 32Member
edited 9 January, 2010 in Chihuahua
My baby Bella is very very small. I get so worried that she is going to hurt herself because she is just so tiny. At a little over 8 weeks she was 1 pound, 16 weeks about 1.6 lbs, and at 18 weeks about 2 lbs. I am just hoping that she is going to have a growth spurt and get bigger!! I know she still has lots of time, but does anyone have a Chi that was about the same in terms to size when your little baby was a puppy? And then it bothers me because people I talk to are so rude and say things like, \"Wow, she is a runt and you are going to have major health problems with her when she is older. Be prepared for the vet bills\" and \"You must have gotten her from a puppy mill or BYB. She\'s way too little.\" I guess it just worries me because she is very small and I would be so upset if she did get hurt or have some type of health problem because of her size. She eats alot and has been to the vet. He says she is a very healthy little girl. Thanks everyone! ;c;

Comments

• Nikki SmithNikki Smith AnchoragePosts: 930Member
    edited 9 January, 2010
    I think your Bella is just fine. At my Bella's breeder there was a puppy from another litter that was 1/2 the size of her littermates. That little girl was healthy as a horse and ate like one too. She had a big personality to go with her tiny size. Try not to worry about what other people say, as long as your vet says she's doing good and she's eating well and doesn't have diareah or anything you're good. I was trying to estimate how big my Bella was going to get. I came across a website that says for small breeds take the weight they were at 6 weeks, double that, then take that weight and double it again and that should be close to their full grown weight. That does not account for over eating or lack of eating tho'. At this time a teeny-tiny Chi won't work for me because I have twins that are 5 and a 3 year old. They are all really good with animals, but accidents happen. At some point in the future I would like to get another Chi that may be around 5 lbs full grown, but right now Bella (who will be around 8-10lbs) is the right dog for me. Your Bella is the right dog for you and noone has the right to make you feel bad that she's so little or try to scare you with threats of health problems. You enjoy your Baby and all her tinyness. ( Not everyone can sneak their dog into the store with them in their pocket. BOL!!)
  • Amber ArnettAmber Arnett Posts: 32Member
    edited 9 January, 2010
    Aww..thanks Bella\'s mommy. You made me feel better. I love Chihuahuas and I didn\'t realize how much criticism I would get by having one! People are just so rude! And about going to a store and being able to have them in your pockets is SO true..HAHAHA! When Bella was about 2 1/2 months, she fit in the front of my sweatshirt pockets. I would wrap her in a blanket and put her in there..and take her with me to the store! Now she has a carrier, but I love how you can do that with them:) I hate leaving her alone and she loves going \"bye-bye\" so it\'s perfect.
  • Kay AyalaKay Ayala SacramentoPosts: 439Member
    edited 9 January, 2010
    Bella is Beautiful!!! Anyone who has that much to say about a dog they know nada about is usually talking out of under thier tail. BOL!!! I was 8 ounces at 8 weeks when I went home with my new family. I was adopted on a friday evening, so didn't see the vet until Monday morning, but he said I was nice and healthy and have been ever since. I have had some minor skin issues and some joint issues fixed by surgery, but that was because I came from a bad backyard breeder and it didn't even show up until I was over a year old, so you just can't tell everything when you're a pup. Other than that, I'm healthy as a horse so weight is a lousy indicator of health, unless it's grossly underweight or overweight. As long as your vet sais your healthy, just enjoy and do what I do when people get stupid with your mommy. Walk away!! BOL! BTW I grew up to be a VERY healthy 3 and 1/2 lbs of happy puppy charm! TINY IS WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ps, I have a BIG personality!%:D%:-h
  • Nikki SmithNikki Smith AnchoragePosts: 930Member
    edited 9 January, 2010
    People are so critical of Chihuahuas, most without ever having any personal experience with them. When I brought Bella to Christmas at my Grandma's house one of my cousins said "ewww, you got a Chihuahua? They're discusting" After I chewed him up one side and down the other for being disrespectfull, I asked him if he'd ever even seen a Chihuahua up close. He hadn't so I let him hold Bella for a few minutes. When he was holding her he kept saying how mellow she was, and that she was "actually pretty cute" I'm the first one in my family to have a Chihuahua (Most of my family have Pitbulls and Rottweilers) So Bella is kind of our Chihuahua ambasador. BOL!!
  • Cathy RistowCathy Ristow Central WIPosts: 16Member
    edited 9 January, 2010
    Dear Bella's mom~ My Gracie may was soooo tiny when i got her she didn't even weigh a pound! We used to keep her in a pack and play for safety purposes but now she is 4yrs and weighs 2.6 lbs and really healthy we put off getting her fixed because even the vet didn't want to take the chance but we recently had it done and she did great we actually kept her in a small rubber maid box on the bed so that Angel wouldn't bother her while she recovered. I would just make sure your vet knows how to handle a itty bitty i went through a couple vets because they just didn't know how to treat her (using smaller needles, breaking doses of immunizations in half ) stuff like that - and btw i have a big dog and another chi and Gracie rules the roost they get very nimble and quick and watch out for feet and other things as they get older - I hope this helps |$|
  • Amber ArnettAmber Arnett Posts: 32Member
    edited 9 January, 2010
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it and I'm glad that I found this site. I have asked questions before on Yahoo Answers and instantly when people saw that I was asking about a Chihuahua, they had negative reponses, so it's nice to have people who can actually relate. I feel better now about her size. And she also has a HUGE personality! That's what I love about them. Their size does not intimidate them one bit and they are so affectionate. People really need to be around them and get to know them before judging. It's sad.