Thinning hair

Amber ArnettAmber Arnett Posts: 32Member
edited 18 January, 2010 in Chihuahua
I have noticed that Bella's fur right in front of her ears on her head is thinning and she is starting to bald there. The rest of her fur is nice and shiny, so I'm a little worried. Has anyone had this happen and what did you do or what caused it? Food? Allergies? Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Tracy BrowneTracy Browne Posts: 1,439Member
    edited 14 January, 2010
    Normal. Some Chi's have very thin ear in front of their ears, down their necks and chests and undersides. It's a breed quirk. If she's otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Kay AyalaKay Ayala SacramentoPosts: 439Member
    edited 14 January, 2010
    Brodys right Bella! Also, did you know we go through a really wierd shedding cycle when we're about 8 months old to around a year or 15 months old? Yep, they call it the "teen shed" equivalent to our funky "teen years" when most of us go through an awkward stage. Our coats go all wierd and patchy sometimes, and if we're show Chi's we don't show when we go through that. It all clears up with a little time and patience. I'd think allergies if there was also vomiting of bile and/or rashes or diahareah. Also, itching and running nose can go with the allergies. They have lots of different symptoms. Since it's just "pattern Chi baldness" I wouldn't worry and it may even last only a few months.....maybe...maybe not. Bella's a beauty no matter what! No worries! :):)
  • Kathleen TruaxKathleen Truax Posts: 12,839Member
    edited 15 January, 2010
    Even us smooth coat chi's shed year around, you just don't notice it as much on the ones who has a thicker coat:o)
  • Deanie McGuiganDeanie McGuigan WilmingtonPosts: 1,793Member
    edited 18 January, 2010
    Lila Rae has thinning hair on her head right in front of her ears as well as on her neck. She hasn't always had the thin hair on her head, and my vet seems to think it's her environmental allergies. She scratches her head sometimes in the spot where it is thinning. The last trip to the vet, he said he ears were a little red. Nothing to be put on antibiotics for, but just her allergies acting up. Harley is a long hair chi and doesn't have these thinning spots, but maybe that is because she has a long coat!