To breed or not to breed..

edited 19 January, 2010 in Chihuahua
My mommy is thinking about of breeding me, since I'm a registered purebred chihuahua. What do you think? Any advice from other breeders since my mommy is a newbie?

Comments

• Tracy BrowneTracy Browne Posts: 1,439Member
    edited 14 January, 2010
    I am not anti-breeding. But I am pro breeding smart. To me that means breeding to improve the breed, not just to add more Chihuahua's to the world. Go to petfinder and put in Chihuahua's in your zip code. In my part of the country, there are hundreds of homeless Chi's. They are a dime a dozen sadly. Papers are only as good as the paper they are printed on. AKC is a registry. (I won't even speak to the "other" registries such as CKC which are scams in my opinion). Papers don't guarantee quality. The prove the parents are the same breed. You could have a 20 pound Chihuahua and it could still be AKC registered. Purebred? So what. There are millions of purebred Chihuahua's. That doesn't make them worthy of breeding. So how do you know if your dog is going to make a contribution to the breed? I believe by showing your dog in conformation. If you can't do that, at least get some opinions from show breeders in your area. Chi's are popular. There are reputable show breeders in every state. Go to akc.org and look up Chi Clubs or all-breed clubs. Get a referral to a conformation class and get some opinions on your dog. Is it worthy of being bred? Will it improve the breed? Then the matter of the stud dog comes up. Where are you going to find one? You will want a dog that has proved itself in the show ring, a champion, if you want to find a good market for puppies. Most people are not looking for a garden variety pet. If you're going to breed, do it right. Do it to improve the breed. That means finding a dog that compliments your ****. He should be a champion with a track record of producing quality puppies. A reputable stud dog owner should be able to evaluate your **** and let you know if she is breeding quality or not. That is another avenue to investigate or pursue. Many people say they just want to breed "pets". I say WHY. There are dozens of Chi's in shelters or available in your local newspaper. Why add to it? Healthy, pedigreed Chihauhua's are put to death in shelters every day. Then there is health. The bare minimums I would expect would be CERF certification on eyes, and patella and seizure free. Not just the breeding pair, but back in the pedigree as far as you can trace. We don't need more chihuahua's with seizures, PRA or SARDS eye problems/blindness, or patella luxation. Next, are you prepared for a c-section? Many Chi's end up having sections from uterine dystocia. Can you take off several weeks from work to hand feed a litter if the mother can't or won't take care of the pups? Do you have a mentor? Someone who can help you through each step of the way? If not, I'd say to take a pass. Breeding is something that should be carefully considered by people who are intent on improving our breed. NOT to be undertaken lightly. Everyone thinks their dog is "cute" and having puppies sounds like it might be fun. But it can be heartbreaking and expensive, even deadly. Unless your girl is an AKC champion and from a long line of champions, who has health tested eyes and knees, with a rock solid temperament, and you have a mentor who can help you and guide you every step of the way..... then I'd say to leave the breeding to the experts and just enjoy your girl. An unspayed girl runs a very high risk of pyometra, so I'd suggest having her spayed to prevent cancer and future problems.
  • Nikki SmithNikki Smith AnchoragePosts: 930Member
    edited 14 January, 2010
    Nicely said Brody
  • Kay AyalaKay Ayala SacramentoPosts: 439Member
    edited 14 January, 2010
    When I found out how much in danger it puts a Chi momma life in when she breeds, I decided to have my love spayed at 5 months and WOW is it a good thing I did! At a little over a year I noticed Penny limped occasionally on one of her back legs. I have pet insurance, I should mention. Well, I took her to the vet who diagnosed Luxating Patella and sent me to a surgeon. I call my insurance and yep, that condition is excluded. So, after $500 worth of X rays and consults I find out she needs $3,000 worth of surgery to get BOTH her back knees fixed. It's a severe, painful condition, so of course she's getting surgery. Thank goodness for Care Credit! But it's all out of pocket. MY pocket. BUT, if I was able to locate her backyard breeders (yes, I know, I learned the hard way!!) I would sue them and win ALL my medical expenses I've been out of pocket. Did you know that breeders are held financially responsible for genetic conditions? Yep, I'd win in any court of the land. And there are Many genetic conditions. So, if your baby has NO complications and is able to deliver normally (not always the case) it can still end up costing you big bucks in the long run. And YES, there are lots and lots of purebred Chi's up for adoption and next time THAT'S what I'm doing. Signed me Learned the Hard Way
  • Deanie McGuiganDeanie McGuigan WilmingtonPosts: 1,793Member
    edited 18 January, 2010
    I honestly wouldn't do it. Not with what is going on w/ the chihuahuas in LA being shipped around the country to find forever homes. I'm not anti-breeding either, but I don't think we need more breeders at this point in time in the world and in our economy.
  • Peggy SmithePeggy Smithe Long IslandPosts: 735Member ✭✭
    edited 19 January, 2010
    Brody and Bella said it all and very well I might add. Please don't breed, Their are 6 adorable chi's at the Miami-Dade Animal Services (kill Shelter) that are due for Euth this week, one is due tomorrow unless a miracle happens. Their are also countless maltese, poms, yorkies, pug, cairns, doxie's, rat terrier, bischon,jack russel, fox terrier and on and on that are going to PTS this week due to overcrowding at the same shelter. They are all young and just as cute as your pet. You will also find their list and more on "DogsInDanger' site. And that list is only one Shelter, multiply that for every shelter in every state, and then add on all the dogs that are in rescue care looking for homes and you will see just how sad things really are for the dog world today. Just the Petfinders list alone, should be an eye opener for anyone. The way things are going, with all of the shelters and no place to put these dogs, thousands are being put down every day across the states.. You would feel just so awful if a year or two or three, that one or more of your pups ended up in one of these places. For every 6 pups born, 3 will die an early death, mostly because they end up in a shelter because owners can't keep them. So please, if you should want another pet, rescue one, don't make more. Besides the odds are that your dog came from puppymill if you bought it from a pet store. Even if you bought it from a private breeder, it's parents and/or grandparents undoubtedly originate from a pm . So the odds of your cutie having show qualities and not harboring possible bad hereditary genes that can be handed down are very slim to begin with. Enjoy your baby for who he is... your pet and not a stud.