chihuahua and winter

edited 11 March, 2010 in Chihuahua
I know that they say that chihuahuas need to be protected from the cold when you go out. But what I'm unclear as to how cold should it be for me to have to put a sweater on him? I'm in FL and this winter it has gone down into the 40's and 30's. At what temp should the dog have a sweater on to go out?

Comments

• Nikki SmithNikki Smith AnchoragePosts: 930Member
    edited 10 March, 2010
    I usually put a sweater on Bella everytime we go out, and sometimes when we are inside. Outside there's always the possibility of the wind kicking up and giving your Chi a chill. I kind of apply the advice I got from my pediatrician when my kids were babies. "Dress them one layer warmer than what you are wearing" because they are so small. Fortunatly the dogs are always wearing one layer (their fur), but if I feel that I need a jacket to go out they get a sweater. Plus you can always take it off if they get to warm, and with Chihuahuas their clothes can usually fit in your pocket or a purse.
  • Stephanie AielloStephanie Aiello Posts: 12Member
    edited 11 March, 2010
    I live In FL too and during this winter my dogs were shaking and not wanting to go outside unless its 65 I put a seater or Jacket on our Jack Chi and little Chihuahua after that they were fine even here in Florida my dogs are cold. ~b~