Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

Daily Walks in the Cold and Wet?

christina isabelchristina isabel Posts: 22Member
edited 1 April, 2010 in Chihuahua
I know you're supposed to walk your dog every day, but what if you live in an area where the weather is poo for a lot of the year? I live in Vancouver, Canada, and there are a lot of cold, wet, gloomy days here. I feel bad having to take my Chi out for a walk every day because he looks so miserable, even with his raincoat and a sweater underneath. Is this just something he needs to get used to, for the benefit of getting his mind right with daily walks? Or should I not walk him every day when the weather is poo? Right now, the temperature range has been 3-10 degrees Celsius/37-50 degrees Fahrenheit, and wet, wet, wet :( I wish there was some sort of little bubble he could walk around in and stay warm and dry, like a big hamster ball, haha.

Comments

• Stephanie PykeStephanie Pyke OmahaPosts: 1,372Member
    edited 13 March, 2010
    Oh dog it's never-ending here. If there isn't snow on the ground its slush and melt on the ground and drizzle in the air. The ground is the consistency of a wet sponge and the temp is 0-50 farenheit. There is a river of pee behind the house from the runnoff of 50 inches of snow over the winter that freezes solid every night and turns into a shallow braided stream by the afternoon. but yeah, it's been awful. Foxxy comes home every walk covered in mud and crud, and with the gait she has, that typical chihuahua gate just sprays water with each step, which is awful because she has that fur that just holds water forever. Then I have to take her inside and rinse off her undercarriage so the mud doesn't stick in her fur. She hates baths because it takes her literally hours to dry, and she hates the blow drier, it freaks her out. Anyways, this goes on 5 times a day, that is with each and every walk. It just never dries out there. We have been completely unsuccessful in trying to litter train her. She just sits at the door and cries, even when it's way below zero. But the wet just has to be endured, I guess.
  • Bunny_PrincesseLilyCGNBunny_PrincesseLilyCGN bathurstPosts: 9,421Member ✭✭✭
    edited 14 March, 2010
    Princesse is in the house most of the winter. I take her for drives to pet friendly places or friends houses. I prefer not to take her out in the wet, but as soon as it hits above 0 celcius, I am out there with her. We went out for two 45 minute walks this weekend ;c;
  • Kay AyalaKay Ayala SacramentoPosts: 439Member
    edited 15 March, 2010
    Hi Bacon! NO you don't have to walk your Chi every day!!! Not at all!!! If it's yucky outside, we play a vigorous game of fetch or whatever game Penny is up for for as long as it takes to tire her out. Usually about 15 minutes or so. Sometimes twice a day, depends on how often she brings me a toy and asks for me to play with her. But, I've read in tons of Chi books that Chi's can get plenty of exercise even staying in thier house all day and not going out at all because they are so tiny. Thier short little legs get plenty of work out running through the house. Give me good weather and we're both out in it enjoying it together, but on yucky days we stay in and play! Walks are great for the mind and body of you and your pup, but not necessary at all in yucky weather!!! I usually have some fun new toys she hasn't seen for the yucky days and it works out fine. Oh and Penny is not an ounce overweight and in great shape her Dermatologist, surgeon and regular vet all agree on that! So, don't worry~enjoy!!! Have fun and your doggy will too as long as Bacons with you!!! :-h
  • christina isabelchristina isabel Posts: 22Member
    edited 1 April, 2010
    thank you for your stories! :) i feel more comfortable with the thought of not having to go out in the muck, and i'm sure bacon does too, haha! he just learned fetch a couple weeks ago, so we get to play that on the yucky days (and on the good ones too!). i also run around the house with him, possibly annoying our tenant downstairs, hehehe. but it's just so fun to see him run and have so much fun! when we do walk, i run with him too. we have a nice little park across from my house with a waterfall and pond, so it feels like a little adventure everytime we're out :)