Anybody else tired of the I dont like Chihauhau comments?

Bunny_PrincesseLilyCGNBunny_PrincesseLilyCGN bathurstPosts: 9,421Member ✭✭✭
edited 23 March, 2010 in Chihuahua
This is just a rant....So, I am visting friends of my husbands and talking about Princess and eveybody says oh I have no use for small dogs. Yappy little things. I get comments like that all the time. They havent even met her! I will admit I wasnt a small dog fan as a general rule, but I always gave an indivdidual dog a chance. Even Princess when she first went to live with my in laws. I thought she was sweet and a cute little dog.It just gets me when people say they have no use for a certain breed of dog. How do you know,if you have never been around one:?

Comments

• Holly WareHolly Ware BirminghamPosts: 1,316Member
    edited 3 August, 2009
    Tell me about it! Most of my family has made comments about Toby, not being a proper dog, being a 'yappy mutt', and various other daft things. A neighbour of my mums that I've known since I was a little girl actually said the other day 'one stamp of my foot and that thing would be gone' and then laughed, as if it was funny to suggest she was going to kill my dog!! He really needs a raincoat lately because there's been a lot of storms about, but I can't bring myself to buy one, because I know I'll just be reinforcing the stereotypes!! I don't know what I'll do in the winter when he needs a proper coat, I'm trying to find one of those green padded coats you get for gundogs so that he doesn't look all frou frou! But to be honest, part of me is glad, because I know how great a chihuahua is, I've never met one I didn't like, but its like my little secret. Because if it wasn't, who knows how many of these little angels would be bred by ignorant owners and kept by idiots, like all these stories I hear from America, and don't get me started on the handbag thing they seem to have over there. Nobody like chihuahuas much here, and I kinda want to keep it that way!
  • Jessica SattlerJessica Sattler MarquettePosts: 18Member
    edited 4 August, 2009
    Oh yeah, we hear that a lot here as well. A few of my relatives come and visit and they treat Zeus like he's a little rat and even call him a rat to my face. Usually I don't say anything because I'm more of a passive person, but one of these days I'm going to call them a rat to their faces. I also don't get this "yappy dog" stereotype that Chihuahuas have. Zeus occasionally barks, but it's not any more often than most other dogs I've met. And Toby, I live in America and I don't get the handbag thing either. My mom is really adamant about getting a bag for Zeus despite me telling her it's a really stupid thing to do.
  • Deanie McGuiganDeanie McGuigan WilmingtonPosts: 1,793Member
    edited 7 August, 2009
    I hate it!!! One of my friends calls my girls "rats".. it's soo annoying! I tell her to stop it, but she thinks it is funny. I am guilty of taking them places in their stroller, but that is why I have little dogs.. to take them everywhere they can possibly go with me! =;
  • themisfitbenji1themisfitbenji1 Posts: 6,990Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 August, 2009
    The 'bag thing' can actually come in handy. No offense, but if I lived in a city and was trying to go someone with my small dog- I would rather him be safely in a bag than possible getting trampled. It's kind of hard to see a three pound dog when the sidewalk is crowded. It can also come in handy if you don't have a car and have to walk far to get to say... the vet... and you live in the south (or any hot place, really). Again, no offense, but I would rather carry my small dog in a bag then let him walk on the hot pavement for his paw pads to burn. And they literally can. The 'bag thing' only has a bad reputation because people associate it with people like Paris Hilton. Until people like that started getting dogs that they treat like accessories (at least, publisized) no one thought much of someone walking down the city street with a chihuahua in a purse. And, rightfully so. Now, if the chihuahua can walk- then so be it, I say he should. /getting off my soap box Anyway, I get sick of those comments, too. But, living with four small dogs and two pit bulls, I'm pretty much used to hearing ignorant things from ignorant people. After a while, you get used to it.
  • Kara VenekampKara Venekamp SpokanePosts: 366Member
    edited 22 August, 2009
    I dread the \"what kind of dog do you have\" question. I get the same yappy rat comments everytime. But everyone who meets Luna falls in love with her. People who don\'t like dogs or don\'t like little dogs are always suprised by how cute and fun she is. Luna is a chi ambassador~b~
    edited 22 August, 2009
    I agree, Precious! Harley and Lila Rae are both under 4 lbs so it can get a bit tricky when walking in crowds. No WAY would I risk them being trampled. =;
  • Holly WareHolly Ware BirminghamPosts: 1,316Member
    edited 23 August, 2009
    Don't get me wrong precious, if we walk over broken glass or through a crowd, toby gets picked up. Safety comes first at all times, but once we pass the danger, he goes back on the floor. And I do not have a car, or even a driving licence, and he does pretty well. I actually know of chihuahuas that do not touch the floor, not ever, I've actually argued on dogster with people who think it's cruel to put toy dogs on the pavement.
  • Bunny_PrincesseLilyCGNBunny_PrincesseLilyCGN bathurstPosts: 9,421Member ✭✭✭
    edited 23 August, 2009
    I am like you Toby, Princess stays on the ground except for questionable situations. ( and when riding in my bike basket;) I did have some good comments last week when a friend of mine who used to be afraid of dogs ( after years of therapy she has improved some) and she thought Princess was hilirous. She couldnt get over how small and cute but dog like she was. She said "how am I supposed to be afaid of that? ;c;
  • Claudia ReichClaudia Reich SouthfieldPosts: 22Member ✭✭
    edited 16 November, 2009
    One of my friends chased The Bee (that's her nickname - for her flighty-ness) around and now Bee doesn't like her. She's constantly calling her "an ugly rat" blah blah blah and I'm really tired of it! I get it, you don't like my dog. She doesn't like chihuahuas in general apparently and says I should get rid of her. Now, as someone who's had a dog and knows they are an integral part of your family, how can you sit there and say that and expect me NOT to be offended? Whether you're kidding or not, that is bunk. /rantoff
  • Kay AyalaKay Ayala SacramentoPosts: 439Member
    edited 16 November, 2009
    YES, I am sick and tired of people talking mess about me when they don't even know me!!!!! My mom feels like telling them their kids are certainly the dregs of whatever slimey gene pool they crept out of, but she has way too much class. However, due to mom's Extremely short fuse, with anything that has to do with a critisism of me without even bothering to get to know me, she has been known to walk away and leave the bores talking to themselves. Lucky for them! She's very protective of me and tells me I'm the best baby in the world, all the time. I put up with the clothes and foo foo accesories cause she has really great treats and mom responds so well to training.....he, he.....:o)
  • Linda AspreyLinda Asprey El CerritoPosts: 7,541Member
    edited 19 November, 2009
    I to get so feed up with small dog comments, I have been called a rat too, and it hurts mommy\'s feeling and some people say what use are chihuahuas, well I am here to tell them I am the best gaurd dog ever I take care of my mom when she is sick, I even let her know if she is about to have an attack, I help her with her balance problem . We may be small but we have the heart of a lion, and just as fierce just ask my postman.... he gets a kick out of me =D>
    edited 20 November, 2009
    I really don't care what people think of my chihuahuas. They are the most loving and loyal little things, which are better qualities than most of the people i know possess! ;)
  • themisfitbenji1themisfitbenji1 Posts: 6,990Member ✭✭✭
    edited 23 November, 2009
    Amen, Lila. =D>
  • Nikki SmithNikki Smith AnchoragePosts: 930Member
    edited 22 December, 2009
    When I told people I was thinking of getting a chihuahua the response I got was "yuck, why?" Then when I brought Bella home everyone wanted to hold her and now they keep saying how cute and unique she is. She even won over one of her dad's friends who only refers to Chi's as "Rats" he held for for at least an hour.
  • Amber ArnettAmber Arnett Posts: 32Member
    edited 3 January, 2010
    I agree. It seems like people are so negative towards the breed! I just got a little one and people make comments calling her a \"rat, bat, rodent, etc.\" I\'ve also had random people ask me if she was considered a dog or not and that they would be embarrassed to own a dog that small. And then you have the people who say they are mean, bite your ankles, bark 24/7, and are terrible with kids. At first, it really hurt my feelings, but I am getting to the point where I just laugh it off because I realize that not everyone likes Chihauhuas and you are always going to have those rude people out there who say mean things about them. I love the breed and there are many others out there who do as well:)
  • ♥MaKayla♥ M-----♥MaKayla♥ M----- MissouriPosts: 324Member
    edited 5 January, 2010
    I agree, i hate when people say things about my Chihuahuas. EVEN before they have met them. They say stuff like "I hate that breed, they are so aggressive". WELL for one you can't hate a breed you've NEVER owned based on what you've heard, & TWO not ALL Chihuahuas are aggressive! It depends on how they were raised. I also get comments like "Chihuahuas are so very ugly, i'd never own one" For one they aren't ugly! I also get some like "Why would you ever want a Chihuahua? They are just BIG babies!" One i like Chihuahuas, and i like treating mine like they are my babies. I think people that haven't ever owned a Chihuahua should SHUT UP and leave their mean comments to their selves. Chihuahuas are smart and fast learners, they tend to want to please, they want to be held and treated like a baby, they hate the cold. So what? I hate the cold as well. BOL! & I love the fact that they let me baby them lol. My chihuahuas love dressing up as well. Or putting on shoes and warm clothes to go outside in the snow to use the bathroom. Chihuahuas are AMAZING! They also tend to become very close to one person in the family, and with my Chi's it's me. :))
  • Sarah McSarah Mc Posts: 11Member
    edited 6 January, 2010
    Yes! I've gotten a few rude comments in the past, people saying chihuahuas are yappy and mean etc. People change their minds after meeting Yuki though. :) I think Paris Hilton has affected a lot of people's views about chihuahuas..
  • Tina DukTina Duk ZagrebPosts: 11Member
    edited 22 January, 2010
    The worst thing i have ever heard was when a litlle boy at about 12 years said behind my back " wow...i have a bigger animal i my pants then your dog is"...so you can see how early people become so unemotional....but i don't comment with those who think so.... many times when i was in that situation i would like to have my other dog with me...he's 60 kg weight and pretty big....and just say..."hi....would you like to have a chat with Max?"
  • Stephanie PykeStephanie Pyke OmahaPosts: 1,372Member
    edited 22 January, 2010
    I know the first time my brother saw Foxxy he said :oh it's a rat" followed by my dad saying that Kenzo, our old mini schnauzer used to kill rats in the backyard as big as that, followed by an account from his childhood where he dropped the sunday Denver post on a chi that was overly agressive. I admit that she is cattish. she plays with her toys like a cat an perches on my shoulder and can jump pretty much anywhere she wants to be. But she's an incredible hunter. She can catch rabbits as big as she is, and she loves to lure course right alongside the italian greyhounds so as smallas she is, she's still quit thouroughly a dog. and way more intelligent than my bro's great pyrinnes imo. and she's never bitten anyone as far as I have ever known her. She's one of those dogs that has to be loved and adored. Dominant but not aggressive.
  • Danielle LocklearDanielle Locklear StatesvillePosts: 3,919Member
    edited 11 March, 2010
    Comments like that really peeve me too! I bring Butters to work with me everyday, and when a random salesperson walks in Butters will let out a bark just to say "Hey someones here" but it's ONE bark. And I always get a comment like "Oh, it's the guard dog! Those things are so yippy". I normally tell them Butters is a baby, because he is. He's never growled at or bitten anyone! He's the type of dog that will go home with a total stranger if they'd let him, which scares me at times. Now, I will admit, and I know all of you would agree with me on this, there are Chi's out there who are under-socialized that are very aggressive. I hate it how they ruin it for all the sweet Chi's and how people who've met one who is aggressive automatically assume they all are. Like one of you pups said, it's no different with any other breed. You'll have labs that are complete babies and others who are mean as the dickens. But do people look at them as aggressive ankle bitting yappers? No. I just wish people would give our sweet Chi's a chance.
  • Stephanie AielloStephanie Aiello Posts: 12Member
    edited 11 March, 2010
    I love my Chihuahua SOOOO much these people obviously dont know how to control or teach the dog to be better both of mine are pretty low key and never bark. :c9
  • Kimi HKimi H SunderlandPosts: 2,257Member
    edited 23 March, 2010
    Heck, I don't even have a Chi (yet?), and I'M sick of it. Now, I'm sick of the whole big dog/ small dog divide in general, mind you. I don't see a problem with people saying "I would never live with a big/small dog again, I like small/big dogs so much better, bla bla bla about how they're great," but I definitely see a problem with them saying blanket horrible statements on their bigot-tacular opinions against the whole other group or certain breeds. There are some that get it the worst... in big dogs it is Shepherds/Rotties/Dobies/Bullies. In small dogs? Good lawd, do Chis ever get special picked on for how "yappy" and vicious and on and on and on they are. Chica, you shoulda told that kid "My dog makes you think about your PENIS? Ew, what a gross little boy you are!" just really, really loud... at that age, embarrassment is worse than death, he would NEVER have done it again. ;) I can't think when I've ever been tempted to make a suggestive comment about my vulva to a stranger no matter what size dog they were carting around. What an obnoxious kid. I hate all these ignorant comments but I think the "yappy" thing is particularly low because whether or not the sound of barking or a certain pitch of bark appeals or annoys is such a personal thing-- YOUR hang up, never a dog's. I don't mind when dogs bark as long as it's not ongoing for a really long time or somehow loud enough to hurt my ears. Often, I enjoy happy dog barking. And I find the yip-yap of a small dog as harmonious as the bull-elephant-seal-bellow of some huge hound or the woo-woo of the Nordic breeds or anything in between. If the sound of "yapping" bothers you, that's legit but it's your problem. Choose not to get a small dog. But do not, do NOT, come up to me in the street and tell me how much you hate my ankle-biting yap machine, unless you want me to swiftly give you MY opinion of people who approach me when I'm minding my own business for the sole purpose of handing down judgements. I mean, are any of us standing outside the daycare going "boy I sure am glad I don't have any children/ my kids have grown past this stage-- I just HATE little kids, they're so loud and messy!"? Would that be acceptable in polite society? Would you make a comment like that in front of your boss? If the answer to any of these is no, then keep your mouth SHUT when you're tempted to tell owners of some kind of dog you're breedist against how much you arbitrarily hate their dog. WHY IS THIS HARD?! Hugs for all the people who have to hear this from their families and friends-- way to support your loved ones, families and friends, A and a gold star! (/sarcasm)