Ahhhhh! My Dogster\'s all weird! What\'s going on?? Is it 2012??

Comments

• edited 26 May, 2010
    Small complaint but the "Community" pull down is blocked a lot by the advertisement right under it. As in, the advertisement will populate over the drop down, making it impossible to click on anything within the Community menu....
  • edited 26 May, 2010
    Lilith, that problem is driving me crazy, I know the ads have to be there but jeez...can't they put them somewhere that they do not effect the page????
  • Peggy SmithePeggy Smithe Long IslandPosts: 735Member ✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2010
    Hershey I agree. This is one area that definatley has to be changed. You can't tell who has a Birthday or special occasion without haveing to go to each and every pup page first and keep clicking back to the community page. It takes forever to do that. Also before you could set how often you wanted the Bark Board to change. Now I have no idea, does it change every day, every other day, once a week, etc? We really need the thumbnail pics with each pups name as a link back like it was HQ! Please.... Also, the red print in the 'My Groups" is very hard on the eyes, as is the way they are all squished together. It would be better if the names of the groups were in a list or at least each one had a bracket around it. The third suggestion would be the ability to drag and drop the group names on each pups community page in an order that is faster for a pup to find a group. Drag and Drop the pictures on 'my pup pals' and corral page would also make things a lot faster. I can't imagine how long it takes for pups who have over a thousand pals to find that one pup that they want to send a gift or pawmail to. The alpha order never worked on my pc even with the old format, and it still doesn't work with the new changes. I have to go through pages and pages to find a pup..:(
  • king_2006king_2006 ImperialPosts: 1,083Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2010
    hi does anyone want the im back on here again because i do :-h
  • Peggy SmithePeggy Smithe Long IslandPosts: 735Member ✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2010
    Hey guys, I just figured out that you can see your pals activity! On the community drop down, click 'recent corral activity' or 'recent pup pals activity' and you can still see what your pups posted for the day.~a~
  • aiken parkeraiken parker Fred enjoys shared between 2 sPosts: 234Member
    edited 26 May, 2010
    We are doing our best to figure it all out but yesterday seems we got caught during the migration, or something..We rec'd a pup pal request and clicked on the dog(s) images and did an accepted response. But the next thing we knew got a "Sorry there was a problem, with your pup pal.. followed by an oooPs Where did that dog go!?????? I turned around and wrote and apologized to the person, as i had the wrong names with the wrong dogs, and the images had changed and their profiles! Gosh, Where did those dogs go?? :-O
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    edited 26 May, 2010
    It was kind of a shock at first, but, eh, I like it. Especially the new homepage. I like the background, too. Though it may make it tougher on slower computers/connections...
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    edited 26 May, 2010
    I also like how in the site's informational pages, they have included some well-written quotes from some of the members. Makes for a great balance of expert advice/opinion and community advice/opinion, and thus giving people a chance to see a bit of both sides. :)
  • Linda WoodyLinda Woody Posts: 299Member
    edited 27 May, 2010
    :q Well, after looking about, we finally saw all the informaton- just placed differenty. But all the pup pals info and other stuff is there- all on your doggie\'s page! At the top. So we are relieved. Oh, we didn\'t like the new page at first, but after finding out where everything was, (finally), I think we\'re okay with most of it. Okay, Dogster. That\'ll do! BOL! Oh, and a different background from time to time- will be okay too. =;
  • angie irwinangie irwin Posts: 2,055Member
    edited 27 May, 2010
    Oh dog! This new layout is taking some getting used to!!! We came on this afternoon and it was strange!!!! We are ok now:q
  • tracy stevenstracy stevens Posts: 667Member
    edited 27 May, 2010
    HQ, please fix the adoption so Dogsters can find homes for thier doggies instead of being sent to petfinder, maybe have both options (since I love petfinder it's where I found both Max and Tweeker) because the dogsters need a place where they can home thier pups to other dogsters. Thanks.
  • Rhon BrenzaRhon Brenza ChicagoPosts: 2,773Member
    edited 27 May, 2010
    This is a big change, Dogster, and very hard to get used to, but we just keep going back to the Community tab when we get lost. We agree with others that change for change\'s sake is not always good, but we think Dogster is doing this to complete with Dogbook and other newer dog-centric websites. We do think Dogster HQ is making a BIG mistake by moving the DOTW, DOTD and Diary Picks off of the home page. People visiting the website for the first time were drawn to creating a page for their dogs when they clicked on DOTW, DOTD, etc. and saw actual Dogster pages. That\'s how WE became members of the Dogster community. We do like the “grass” background, but would suggest using a very pale version of that hue of green for the background of text boxes, etc. Agree that the white is too, too stark, and hard on the eye. HQ, If you’re gonna stick with this new format, give us the option of selecting the Community Homepage as our Homepage when we login to Dogster. Most of what was on the old Homepage is now on the new Community Homepage. If you are active members of the Dogster “community” it makes sense that your Homepage should be the Community Homepage. Good luck, every pup! Yours in drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool, WINston XXLP and the rest of The Chicago Crew of Angels
  • Teddy RheingoldsTeddy Rheingolds San FranciscoPosts: 1,743Member
    edited 27 May, 2010
    @Max: can you explain how adoption isn't working for you? The purpose is to let people post to either and we show all in one view. What are you experiencing. You can email me at ted [at] dogster [dot] com. @WINston: That's a good idea. For now you might want to bookmark the community page and start there instead of the homepage. Turns out a lot of users bookmark the account page and start there. We've got a lot more updates going live soon. See you tomorrow. Ted @ HQ
  • Amanda MartinAmanda Martin KnoxvillePosts: 1,602Member
    edited 27 May, 2010
    I'm having a problem when I go to the page that has the thumbnails of my pup pals. The grass is so dark, I can't read any of the words.
  • Angie AllenAngie Allen ShelbyvillePosts: 5,110Member ✭✭
    edited 28 May, 2010
    HQ....when you first made all these changes we were kinda lost and sad ...but we told Mommy to play around with things and she would like it...and of course we were right ;) Mommy likes the new layout, the grass is cool!! The bright white background could be a little paler, but Mommy will get use to that too!! No matter what changes you make Mommy will always love DOGSTER and remain a plus member, DOGSTER was a saving grace when Mommy needed it most and for that she will always be here =; Thanks for making the best site ever |:|
  • John VarsJohn Vars MinnetristaPosts: 1,016Member
    edited 28 May, 2010
    @Gussie-Finknottle we are working on the friends page. Thanks for letting us know. @Bear and- Bambi - Mommys- Angels - thanks for your comments! Back to work! HQ
  • Amanda MartinAmanda Martin KnoxvillePosts: 1,602Member
    edited 28 May, 2010
    Wow! HQ is working on it and I didn't even have to threaten to bite anyone's rump! I usually threaten when I request anything from anyone, just to make sure! Cuz I'm a terrierist! :D
  • Lizzy NewbyLizzy Newby Cicero, INPosts: 2,769Member ✭✭
    edited 28 May, 2010
    Wiley- If you click on the \"Community\" button on the top right-hand corner, you\'ll find your forum posts in there.
  • Z LZ L New York CityPosts: 98Member
    edited 28 May, 2010
    I do not like the new changes to Dogster. I am not referring to the visual design elements, such as the color of the background and styling details. It's not that the new layout is bad, strictly speaking. It's not the new "design" that bothers me. What I don't like is the direction underlying these "visual design changes". These "visual design changes" are actually part of a bigger theme, which is how Dogster is downplaying the community members, as part of its apparent re-branding. The new slogan is "Expert info, community know-how" -- meaning the community members are secondary, and it's no coincidence that they are much harder to find via the navigation tools. It's a simple user-interface design principle to make the less-important things more clicks away. I understand the nature of free markets in the economy means that Dogster has to adapt and that Facebook's dogbook poses a threat. But this dog says this: Dogster, don't alienate your base.
  • Teddy RheingoldsTeddy Rheingolds San FranciscoPosts: 1,743Member
    edited 28 May, 2010
    Some changes/fixes just went live: * Homepage autologin bug is fixed * IE7 users now always see the whole Community tab at all times * IE7 users see whole community page * Some obscured links have been made obvious again * We put a small but sincere "For the love of dog!" on the Community Homepage * Pet of Day on Commuity Tab is same as Community Page Many many more fixes/updates to come: * Making grass more fun (and yes, we'll be changing background image often) * Making text on white pages easier to read * Better fonts for FF PC and IE PC. * And about another 25. too many to write Also I want people that customize their pet pages and groups to know that we worked very closely with Pawsome Pages people to make sure that most of the original embed and tweaks still work exactly the same. If you go to any furiends page with custom headers and fonts you'll still see them Also all the custom buttons we're updated to work on the new site and it will also change you top bar and footer area to that color. Just go to custom buttons in your pets admin account links to set your own! Ted @ HQ Oh yeah? Is everypaw loving the free BBQ Picnic! It's our little long weekend thanks to everyone for being such great members!
  • Janell KosmalaJanell Kosmala Posts: 21,487Member
    edited 28 May, 2010
    Not sure who first mentioned it, but thanks for helping me find the community home page! I didn't even think to click on the link, so I was wondering where the heck the DOTW went to. I agree that this should be on the Dogster homepage, not just the community page. =; One weird thing I noticed today was that when I looked at the rosettes I have gotten, some of them say weird names. :-k I have gotten a couple from 'families' and the name listed on the rosette were 'nOmad', 'makare' and 'boo' when there isn't a pet in the family named any of those things. I ended up clicking on the name and it got me to the family page for my pup pals and then it made sense who it was from. Was wondering if anyone else noticed this? When I get from individual pups, the name on it is correct. Also it's a little annoying when I am on the community homepage looking at my rosettes received because the box opens way to the left of the screen and parts of it are missing. It's simple enough to remedy by dragging it to the center, but I'd rather not even have to do that if possible. I use FireFox if that makes a difference.
  • Sherry BodinSherry Bodin Hood CanalPosts: 2,746Member
    edited 28 May, 2010
    I have a huge issue with the green - it is very hard to see and then the green links for the pups' names on forum posts is next to impossible to see! I guess that what I am trying to saw is that green is truly not a friendly color in the terms of normal reading (like the background is entirely too busy). It really looks no more professional than before...in fact I have been finding myself copy/pasting from my Google Documents to reply to people (I type up my response elsewhere because the "new" Dogster is hard on my eyes). I also agree with the other Dogster about the "Expert info. Community Know-how." I am not here for "Expert Info" (in fact some of the info doesn't even go along with what is hyped in the community). I did love the old slogan "For the Love of Dog" as that is why I, and many others are here - they are here for the dogs - not the "experts."
  • king_2006king_2006 ImperialPosts: 1,083Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 May, 2010
    hi whane anyone ask king and princess to be friends on here and i accpet it. and the pup pal reauset comes back to me.:-h
  • Z LZ L New York CityPosts: 98Member
    edited 28 May, 2010
    It would be great if HQ could answer the question, Why did Dogster change its slogan from: \"For the love of dog\" to \"Expert Info. Community Know-how\". I am wondering if all these little design quirks & changes are like a \"red herring\" -- it gets people to focus on the immediate little problems, and not the BIG or *real* change at hand, which is that Dogster is ... no longer for the love of dog? (Sorry if this sounds like a repeat, but I think the subtlety is important enough to bear repeating.)
  • Alison KingelinAlison Kingelin MiltonPosts: 31,004Member
    edited 28 May, 2010
    Ted, as a long time paying Dogster member, I have to tell you - I HATE this new layout. It looks like one of those fake websites or blogs you stumble onto when searching for something. The grass is okay, but some of the shades of green on white are hard to read. There's just way too much happening on the front page and none of it anything I want to see. Please bring back the old front page where we can see in a glance whether we have paw mail, who's dog of the day, what our friends have been up to, etc. The community tab just has the links, so you have to go to every page to see what you could have seen quickly on the front. Also, bring back my dogs names across the top - that really bothered me that those were missing. I'm sure there are changes that will be good, but honestly, the new layout is so distracting that it's hard to get past (and I'm a pretty savvy web user).
  • Rhon BrenzaRhon Brenza ChicagoPosts: 2,773Member
    edited 29 May, 2010
    HQ seems to be listening... we can already see changes on the Community Homepage after only ONE day. ALL of our family members photos are now shown, the gifts received are SORTED again by family member, there is a clickable LINK to recent corral and pup pal activity... the Community Homepage is ALMOST like our old Dogster Homepage *sob*. Tip #1: for those doggies still having problems with things not loading: Click on the white "d*gster" up in the grassy area. This will reload that new d*gster Homepage. Then whatever you click on SHOULD load... operative word is SHOULD at this point. Tip #2: for those doggies still getting lost: Click on the orange Community tab, and then click on Community Homepage and you SHOULD be able to find what you're looking for. The Community tab doesn't always load right away, so go to Tip #1 above--click on the white "d*gster" and try, try AGAIN!!!!! BOL (an aside to HQ: why Orange for the Community area??? Maybe the old Dogster Aqua Blue would be a better fit--I know orange is the ASPCA's fav color, but it's a proven fact that the reason fast food restaurants use orange in their decor is it gets people to LEAVE faster and have rapid turn over in the seating area. Soothing Dogster Aqua Blue leans more toward Community members visiting and STAYING in the Community areas that they helped build.) Now, HQ, under "account preferences", PLEASE let us be able to select the Community Homepage as OUR Homepage when we log in to Dogster. Pretty Please? With Meatz on Top? *winks at Zaidie* Yours still, forever and always in drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool, Big WIN
    edited 29 May, 2010
    Hi Winston and everyone, We are listening. We are trying to fix problems and see what we can do about some of the requests for changes. It is very important for us to get this right for everyone - especially the awesome community(!), but also for our growing audience of new people - a majority of them are brand new to dogs and come from searching and have a lot to learn. We are trying to make the Community "Clubhouse" special and awesome in ways that a first timer might not understand and yet make it easy for these first timers to find what they need at the moment. It is a huge challenge for us. We've gotten some thing wrong and we are trying to fix them. Stay with us. We'll work this out. One thing I will add. I really appreciate all the comments positive and not, truly. But those of you recognizing our effort to try and make things better, well, it really helps keep our spirits up and motivates us to work on this even harder. Thank you all. John @ HQ
  • Carly ThomasCarly Thomas Posts: 6,374Member
    edited 29 May, 2010
    HQ, What ever happened to advirtising? If I was running a business I'd want money...but you don't seem to be doing much for the people who pay for Plus. You're making us want to find another site, because honestly, it isn't like it used to be. Now it's all about information. The slogan to be honest is like some vet site. And I thought it was 'For the love of dog.' Not for the 'Love of dog information.' :? I'd really like to have DOTD and DOTW back on the HOMEPAGE, not this 'community homepage' crap. :n:
    edited 29 May, 2010
    @Natcho - I hear you loud and clear. I hear your need to have DOTD on your homepage. I hear your concerns that Dogster is focusing on information and casual, new users rather than core community members and paying Plus customers. These are all valid concerns that we need to and are reviewing and processing as fast as we can. We may need a little time on these. Please hear me that we are working really hard to find solutions that work for you. I don't think that we can make everyone totally happy, but doggone it we are going to try! John @ HQ
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong SpringfieldPosts: 6,559Member
    edited 29 May, 2010
    John. I don\'t think all of you HQ people are getting it. We dogsters ARE the community. The dogster.com home page used to show we are here and we are special and others wanted to be part of US ... The Dogster Community. The focus used to be to join our community, be a part of us ... For The Love Of Dog. There is nothing wrong with providing information, but what is different in providing the same one size fits all that is found everywhere on the internet? The real information and learning comes from the been there and done that of OUR DOGSTER COMMUNITY via the forums and groups and pmails and friends made here. First time visitors, if they ever figure out we are here, should be eager to join OUR DOGSTER COMMUNITY ASAP. Why do you want drive by reads over dogster members out of the dogster blue ~b~ ?