Ahhhhh! My Dogster\'s all weird! What\'s going on?? Is it 2012??

Comments

• Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    edited 29 May, 2010
    Well, the community homepage is my homepage...I added it through my browser settings. For Firefox: Tools > Options > Main > Paste community page URL under "Homepage" > OK Or does Winston mean when we type in "dogster.com", if we're logged in the first thing we should see if the community homepage rather than the general homepage? Hmmm, I agree with that...if it's even doable. I also agree with puting more about the community itself on the general homepage. HQ's doing their best. ;c;HQ;c;.
  • Ashley AumanAshley Auman High PointPosts: 483Member
    edited 29 May, 2010
    I often visit Dogster from my 3G phone but since switching to the awful grass background, it takes too long for my phone to load the page. An option to pick a plain, easier to load background would be wonderful. Another problem is the size of the Forums Home>>Forum Name. It is so small it is impossible to click without zooming in multiple times (and even then, I still end up clicking something else on the touchscreen). Same with the page numbers. In general, even on my laptop, the grass and white are really hard on my eyes.
  • OzfozzOzfozz OshawaPosts: 9,366Member ✭✭
    edited 29 May, 2010
    :? What was wrong with the old layout? It was easy on the eyes, and easy to navigate. The giant orange "Community" button I find is not in a great place. It overlaps the "Vet Finder" tab and possibly another one. Also, the orange and white really does not blend well with the rest of the very green layout. (The grass is a bit difficult on the eyes as well) I'm getting used to the new stuff though, there are a lot of nice things about it as well. I was wondering though, would it be possible to have those users that have already logged in go directly to the "Community" page? So instead of those already logged in Dogster members having to see the gaudy "main" page, we could just go straight to "our" stuff like we used to? And, hate to say it, but I agree about the motto. For the Love of Dog was a lot more appealing to me. Anyways, I'll check back in about a week and see if I can look at this without my head spinning.
  • OzfozzOzfozz OshawaPosts: 9,366Member ✭✭
    edited 29 May, 2010
    Also, we used to be able to search for a dog by name, is it still possible to do that?
  • Carly ThomasCarly Thomas Posts: 6,374Member
    edited 30 May, 2010
    Also, What about more badges, and more borders for our pics? The borders have been the same sine...well since they first came out. I'd add borders to all my pics if they didn't clash with my page. :?
  • C ThompsonC Thompson PhoenixPosts: 4,565Member
    edited 30 May, 2010
    I like the new look. Grass is nice! =; But it looks a little commerical- I think it needs to be "cutened" up a bit. The site seems to be moving faster too which is great. I would like to have an "account" tab back though. I also agree with Dakota. It needs to ne more about "us" the Dogster community. A LOT of us pay $20 a year for plus membership and if it were not for us, well Dogster would not be what it is today. When people go to Dogster they should be made aware that this is a dod loving community first and foremost not just an "informational" site.
  • Angie AllenAngie Allen ShelbyvillePosts: 5,110Member ✭✭
    edited 31 May, 2010
    HQ...... as long as Dogster is up and running we are happy :) we know you all are trying your best and we truly appreciate it...Dogster is THE place to be regardless of what is on the homepage and what is not...click \"Community\" and see what we always saw....Keep up the great work =;
  • Emmeline LamEmmeline Lam GuelphPosts: 484Member
    edited 31 May, 2010
    Hey, HQ: the grass background should have pee burn patches! :))!
  • Ashley MeyerAshley Meyer Posts: 276Member
    edited 31 May, 2010
    BOL @ Winnie!! :))!:))! I came here via a Google search suggestion. I had just gotten Luna and was looking for information on training. I saw a great forum post in my Google search and clicked on it. It had all the information I needed! After that, I immediately bookmarked the Dogster community and created an account for Luna. I wanted to be a part of this great, caring, informative community where people were experiencing the same things I was. The point I am getting at is the community is a wealth of information. I think more attention should be drawn to it, not just the big orange "Community" tab. And also, bring back the old slogan. ;) I'm just a newbie.. only been here for 5 months. But I already feel a great connection to this forum and I am extremely thankful for all the information and support it has provided.
  • Joy CoffriniJoy Coffrini Long IslandPosts: 482Member
    edited 31 May, 2010
    Is it just me or are we no longer getting pup pal acceptances sent to our emails any longer? I get other Dogster emails just not the acceptance emails anymore. I didn\'t change anything on my account. Do I have to reset my preferences? Does anyone know or have the same problem since Dogster changed their layout? On another note, I would prefer if the community page was the homepage.
  • Tam R CortezTam R Cortez San Joaquin ValleyPosts: 6Member
    edited 31 May, 2010
    I love to roll in the grass! I'm at home here.
  • Charlotte VenableCharlotte Venable SpringdalePosts: 2,450Member
    edited 31 May, 2010
    I hate everything about this change. Everything. So long, Dogster!! I won't be renewing my Plus membership.
    edited 31 May, 2010
    thought I should let someone know.... I just swapped out my profile picture. When I clicked "change primary photo" from my account page, it brought me to a page where I could select which photo I wanted to use. That page did not have a white background on it, and made the text very hard to read. it was just the grass background. :-k
    edited 1 June, 2010
    oh, and sometimes the Community tab isnt working for me. I have to refresh the page to get it to work. this happens a couple times a day.
  • Tena ParkerTena Parker PittsburghPosts: 3,333Member
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Before going live, they probably should have had beta testers... the site is buggy... community tab doesn't work in some instances... pages have fallen through the cracks of the design/layout/readability. i'm so NOT HAPPY about the changes (and i'm a person who really likes change for the better especially on the web... when websites update, i'm always the first out there checking it out and really enjoying the new feel....but this is just a HORRIBLE "update").
    edited 1 June, 2010
    I have to say, I've lost my temper a few times when the community tab doesn't work cause that's the only freaking way I can get to forums when I log on. I LIVE on forums, and I hate the fact that it's no longer 'important.' on this site and is in the community tab. :?
  • John VarsJohn Vars MinnetristaPosts: 1,016Member
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Are you seeing the community tab work better now? We released a fix about an hour ago. You may need to do a hard refresh to get it to work. John @ HQ
  • John VarsJohn Vars MinnetristaPosts: 1,016Member
    edited 1 June, 2010
    @Luna - the "change primary photo" issue should now be fixed. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
  • Z LZ L New York CityPosts: 98Member
    edited 2 June, 2010
    let me try to explain what makes me mad. when i look at all those dogster member pages and see all the rosettes and stars and photos and comments and wildly clashing backgrounds and zany graphics that some people have on their dogster pages, i think, Wow these people have put in so much time and energy and care not just showing off their pets proudly but also cultivating friendships, developing relationships, helping one another, etc etc over years -- which makes me happy that people care so much about their pets and the pet community. which is also why it makes me mad that these same people -- the heart if not the backbone of dogster -- are now being treated like third class citizens, because dogster HQ wants to capture the \"casual internet surfer\" who is searching for general or specific answers about \"dogs\", and give priority to this casual user. It\'s no coincidence that the \"Community\" is now so difficult to find. It\'s a very simple principle of user-interface-design (which I do professionally) that you make the important things easy to navigate to, and you make it difficult to get to the unimportant things. I have a hard time believing that the \"bugs\" regarding Diary Central, Paw Mail, etc are really just oversights and \"inherent in the software upgrade/migration process\" -- I believe that the community itself was One Big Afterthought. (As a former software developer, I would have been fired if I had allowed so many \"bugs\" \"kinks\" in core functionality, such as the Community tab not working, especially when that Community tab is the only way in. Also as a former software developer, I can tell you that I am not convinced that \"upgrading technologies\" was the motivation for this change.) It\'s not about the color scheme, or the design of the buttons. It\'s about the paradigm shift. It\'s about the fact that Dogster is now treating its most loyal supporters and members like third-class citizens, and making casual internet surfers (\"first-timers\") the first-class citizens. The fact that so many people have voiced their opinions against the \"New Dogster\" and the fact that HQ\'s response has really only addressed the minutiae, the technicalities, the superficial, the \"bug fixes\" means that it\'s not listening to its community. And, before I get censured off this, let me say that Dogster HQ recognizes that one of its strengths is its \"loyal and passionate\" members -- hence the tone and length of this forum thread.
    edited 2 June, 2010
    THIS NEEDS TO BE REPEATED AGAIN AND AGAIN UNTIL HQ VALUES THE PEOPLE (or acknowledges their mistakes and fixes it) WHO HAVE SUPPORTED THIS WEBSITE FOR YEARS AND WHO HAVE DONE MUCH OF THE LEG-WORK TO MAKE IT WHAT IT WAS (PRIOR TO THE AWFUL "UPGRADE")... Cairo =D>=D>=D> It's not about the color scheme, or the design of the buttons. It's about the paradigm shift. It's about the fact that Dogster is now treating its most loyal supporters and members like third-class citizens, and making casual internet surfers ("first-timers") the first-class citizens. The fact that so many people have voiced their opinions against the "New Dogster" and the fact that HQ's response has really only addressed the minutiae, the technicalities, the superficial, the "bug fixes" means that it's not listening to its community. Cairo, since you seem to be in the "behind the scenes" field, I have been complaining about the PATHETIC search function of dogster for at least a year now... i have a basic understanding of computer sciences and programming and the like (i have computer science literacy but not the ins-and-outs detailed understanding).... It is my understanding that there is a wide variety of options for free and paid search function coding/services.... it is also my understanding that while changing the search function would make the WHOLE SITE more user friendly, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to integrate the new coding/service.... true, not true, opinions?
  • Joy CoffriniJoy Coffrini Long IslandPosts: 482Member
    edited 2 June, 2010
    The community tab doesn\'t always work for me either and sometimes some of the choices on it (particularly on the right side) are blocked or covered by an advertisement.
    edited 2 June, 2010
    thank you, HQ. the community tab has been working flawlessly for me so far.
  • Megan PMegan P KankakeePosts: 7,989Member
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Holy crap this is frustrating. So many people are pointing out different aspects they don't like about Dogster and HQ responds to only comment on the community tab not working? ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!? You won't even acknowledge everything else that has been said? For petes sake, if you're going to reply, at least let us know you're listening to everything instead of just minute aspects of the sight that you might have fixed. Can't help but feel completely ignored with responses like that HQ.
  • Charlotte VenableCharlotte Venable SpringdalePosts: 2,450Member
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Well said Cairo!! My thoughts and feelings exactly!!! =D>
  • Rhon BrenzaRhon Brenza ChicagoPosts: 2,773Member
    edited 3 June, 2010
    well, one of my suggestions has now been acted on ::o The Community Homepage can now be YOUR Homepage. Load the Community Homepage. Scroll down on the left side past your family members. Past your Gifts received. Past the New Shop Items. You will find a box to check to make The Community Homepage YOUR Homepage. After refreshing the page, Iog out. The next time you open up Dogster.com and Login... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH! You are whisked off to the Community Homepage. One suggestion down, 1000\'s to go! :))!:))!:))!:))!:))!:))!
  • Jo WiggintonJo Wigginton Posts: 211Member
    edited 3 June, 2010
    I can\'t change my primary photo. I\'m clicking the radio, pressing select, the page reloads yet the photo stays the same? I guess I\'ll try again in a few minutes :?
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    edited 4 June, 2010
    Haha, love what HQ did with the packground. :)
    edited 4 June, 2010
    I see a tennis ball and a frisbee in the grass!! Oh someone PLEASE THROW IT FOR ME!! :q:q :))!
  • edited 4 June, 2010
    Overall, I\'m not pleased with the changes. I have tried to give it some time, but it\'s making me nuts. The animated ads make loading the pages take forever, the expanding ads cover pertinent info/links. The search functions were poor to the point of useless before and remain so even after the upgrade. In Forums, we still can\'t see the post we\'re responding to - that\'s pretty basic stuff. I\'m not sure what Dogster was aiming for, but I hope this isn\'t it. I\'ve seen lots of rearranging but very little improvement in the site. Sorry to rant like this, I know that renovating a site while keeping it operating is difficult, but I\'ve just about hit my limit of frustration. And as I write this, the Beneful ad expands and covers emoticons and half my post so I can\'t check for errors without scrolling down to close the freakin\' ad window!
    edited 4 June, 2010
    With the addition of the tennis ball and frisbee in the grass (now i'm REALLY looking for a pile of poo), my window now scrolls left to right because they have exceeded the width of my screen (and i have dogster at "normal" size. It's a little irritating. Between the upgrade that did NOTHING beneficial for the community (i mean come on, people have been giving you very clear ideas of what makes dogster awesome and what makes it a very difficult to use web-community... you had ideas of what WE your DEVOTED USERS would like changed and very little--if anything, came to pass) and the ...questionable sponsors i have a very icky feeling about dogster right now... i'm hesitant to leave because i like the COMMUNITY but decisions being made by HQ right now (and not listening to the people who have supported dogster for years) make me feel uneasy about dogster. It's sad.