HQ, The Home Page Is Just no Fun Anymore

Linda WoodyLinda Woody Posts: 299Member
edited 6 September, 2010 in Plus Informational
We Loved logging in- and first thing we's see, was the polls! We loved reading the polls- then we'd go back to homepage and see HELLO, Sammy, Vinnie and Casey. Then we'd check out the bark board. Then we'd look at mail- ALL of that is gone. We have to search, search. We log in, and you say hello to our human. We see advertisments after advertisments. We'll buy more zealies if that's what it will take to go back! This is not fun, and can't see DOTD or DOTW or the Dog Diaries. Now THAT was fun. That made our mom smile. Now, it's a drag- it's sad. Dogster is no longer fun. For one thing. and Dogster is no longer For the Love of Dog- because if it was- then there would be adoptions available to all doggies for good Dogster fosters and owners, and all you have now is petfinder? Sure, that's a good local place- but what if a doggie needs a home in another state? What have you changed this site into- advertisments ans Craiglists??? The way you had the home page set up was way better. This? I'm struggling through an ad. Personally, I don't care if you make the doggies pictures bigger or wider- they were fine before. :? SIGH

Comments

• LucyLucy JacksonvillePosts: 116,891Member ✭✭✭
    edited 31 May, 2010
    You need to click on the community in orange above and then click on the comunity home page..Everything is still there...Nothing has gone missing..You can still see what is going on in your pals and corral by clicking on the link above the writing..The DOTD DOTW AND Diary picks are all there.

Angel Minster Jr and Misty, Lucy, and newest Kitty Sammie, Newest Seniors Nikki and Beau...

• Charlotte VenableCharlotte Venable SpringdalePosts: 2,450Member
    edited 31 May, 2010
    I hate the new look to the entire site. Dogster used to be this cute, quirky little site that had its own personality. This new format makes it look like everything else. If it had looked like this when I was first introduced to it, I would never have joined.
  • Lindsay WalkerLindsay Walker Posts: 27,783Member
    edited 31 May, 2010
    I personally love the look of the new site. It looks updated now. Although I never had a problem with the Blue and Brown layout this look's so much more professional and like a real, classy website. Sure I had to get used to different things, placement of things and a couple glitches but I am already used to it. I can still see adoptable pups and I love how you can get right onto Petfinder from the home page. Why segregate ourselves? We're all working towards the same goal right, we all want more pups to be adopted and more poeple to be educated. What HQ's trying to do is bring MORE people/pups to Dogster. It's silly how pups will complain how it's "so dead" on Dogster lately and then when HQ tries to make a big change to improve the website pups wanna complain. Now, I dont always take to change well but I love Dogster and I would love to meet new pals. I see this change as a win for us current members and a win for any new pups it will bring. |:| Lets all learn to embrace change! ... and if I still havent convinced you then how about, "If you cant beat 'em join 'em!" :))
  • Linda WoodyLinda Woody Posts: 299Member
    edited 31 May, 2010
    Nope, and I respect other Dogster members opinions. Argue with ME if you wish, but when we signed on, it was : Dogster: For The Love Of Dog. :-/:q Sadly, yet another wonderful site has fallen to the commercial demons.
  • Lauren M- TranLauren M- Tran ArvadaPosts: 8,143Member
    edited 31 May, 2010
    We don't like it either. It does not look friendly like it used to and it does not feel like home anymore. :-/
  • Mary HowardMary Howard Posts: 13,229Member ✭✭
    edited 1 June, 2010
    I like most of it after I found out how to navigate, But I hate the white group pages so so boring, maybe a light color background and a dark font.. the all white is blinding:(
  • Melanie BissonMelanie Bisson MoundPosts: 9,089Member
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Yeah, we agree about the personality being lost. Why do we have to go the segregated community part to see ONE dog of the day? Wasn't it fun to go to a dashboard that greeted you and automatically see who was updating, see new dogs and their clever diary titles, see which friends were adding pics, get a quick snapshot of what all your pals were up to? The new site has lost the emphasis on social networking, which was the main reason we were involved in Dogster. There are a million places to go for Dog information on the web, but very few where you had a community of people who became friends and some even like family, who you were constantly chatting with, cracking up, sharing life's trials and tribulations, spending scads of money to send virtual gifts to. I agree with Sammy. Something has been lost. It's just as well. We spent too much time here anyway. :(:((:-/
  • Teddy RheingoldsTeddy Rheingolds San FranciscoPosts: 1,743Member
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Hi everywoof, This is Ted from HQ. Thanks for sharing how you feel. I'm really sorry it seems like the fun is gone or we've "gone corporate." We're still the same people running the same sites for all of you. We're still goofy and would prefer a roll on floor with our dogs then working at a desk ;) Many of the changes were made for reasons that are different than being supposed. But also we're hearing what is missing or wrong and making a number of tweaks. The community page has already had a number of changes and we're working on making it so it is the homepage for people that want that. I think on reason pawple have always liked our forums, groups, pmail, gifts, etc. is that we put great effort into keep out trolls, flammers, biters, haters, and all of types of Internet meanines. For the last 6 years we've been of watch 24/7 to walk such folks out of the dog park. We've made tons of tweaks big and small to keep it for sympatico pups. A big reason for moving community to it's own section was to protect it more. The more traffic we get from around the world the different type of visitors we get. Our goal is to make people want to be part of the community. We want people who love the idea of sharing and having fun. As the Internet gets bigger and bigger this is a natural way to protect while still welcome. We're sorry if it doesn't feel like that. We'll be working hard to make it not feel like that. Many many woofs, Ted @ Dogster [email protected]
  • John VarsJohn Vars MinnetristaPosts: 1,016Member
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Hi, This John from HQ with a few more things. The Community bar should be functioning much better now. Let us know if it is not. You may have to do what we call a hard refresh (cmd-shift-r on Mac, ctrl-f5 on pc). Also, regarding adoption. We have not gotten rid of our your ability to add adoptable pets, but all we have done is added all of petfinder's listings too. The goal is to help dogs find their furever home. Whether that is through a petfinder listing or a dogster one is secondary to us. Adding a little to what Ted said... we do have a lot of people coming for information. They are a different sort of person than the community (and I include myself in the community). Our intention was for these people to get good, trustworthy information and allow them to join the community club if they want. But we didn't want to give them the keys to clubhouse on first visit. We have been trying to protect, nurture and cherish the community we have built - not put it in the corner. I, too, am really sorry if it feels that way - totally not intentional. If we allowed you to make the Community page your homepage (if logged in), would that be better than what we have now? Thanks for your passion and patience, John @ HQ
  • Jean DeSenaJean DeSena Posts: 7,304Member
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Trying to get used to the new changes as well & certain navigation quirks. I have a BIg, for me, problem in that I have \"LOST\" pals that I have had for years.:(( It is very hard to go back &find them again . There are some Old time dogsters & others that do not frequent Dogster as much but who we enjoy a good bark with when we can. I would check in with some pals I don\'t see & they would be glad to know they were thought of.:) Please help when you can. I know you have alot going on since the change. I would really appreciate any help you can give with this issue,thanks HQ!=; I would not want to have pals think I have forgotten them or their family members who are not the active poster.:-/
    edited 1 June, 2010
    @Darla Mae - Sorry about your lost pals! Can you give me a little more information please? How were you seeing them before (what page, url if you have it)? And where are you not seeing them now? Do you remember a specific pal that is lost now so that I can try and find out why they are not showing up for you. Sorry for the inconvenience. John @ HQ
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Sorry Our pals, Ted and John, but we\' not buying any of this stuff. Market it as you will, you changed Dogster to a commercial marketeting, money making website. Had we seen this new website, we never would have joined. Oh, use all the excuses you want. It\'s about income. Not about a community of dog people who love doggies. Go say what we have all been thinking. Oh yes, you might get a new audience- but with who? \"Oh new uh people that will adopt?\" Rubbish! You even took off Dogster Adoption. What, not enought money for you? Children can\'t pay for Plus or zealies- pretty much the same for teens and college students. :))! (Hey kids, we know you are some of the best caretakers) So, who are you left with? Is Money THAT important to a company in San Francisco? Are you really that broke? That you have to do this? :q
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong SpringfieldPosts: 6,559Member
    edited 1 June, 2010
    John. A redirect, or whatever the computer lingo is, upon logging in would be wonderful! This is the way it was before. Before logging in dogster.com was the public page and upon logging in dogster.com was our personal Dogster Page and stayed that way until we logged out. This worked well for all of us and it didn\'t need changed. The set up on our previous personal Dogster Page had everything in the right places and worked well for us. I was here during the last Home Page resign and we all had input on were stuff went. This is why it worked well for us all and why isn\'t isn\'t working well for us now. Stuff isn\'t in the logical right place anymore. I really miss the Welcome Dakota, Icebox, Hawkeye ... etc links at the top. This way the easiest to get to our pet pages.
  • Rhon BrenzaRhon Brenza ChicagoPosts: 2,773Member
    edited 1 June, 2010
    John, accessing the Community Homepage FIRST would be preferred by most members of the Community... but John, have you done ANY research on colors and their impact on viewers? The stark white is very hard on the eyes, the pale green is almost unreadable for those Dogsters that have older monitors, and WHAT\"S WITH THE ORANGE??? Why don\'t we compromise--new Community Homepage for those who want it as their MAIN homepage, but with our comforting, familiar D*gster pale blue background, cream text boxes and SLIGHT touches of orange. A blend of the New and the Old... =;
    edited 1 June, 2010
    @Dakota - we should have the option to make the community page your homepage in tomorrow morning. @Sammy - I am sorry that you don't trust us and that you are not buying it. I wonder what I have done to make you think that something I write is not truthful. But, yes, this is a business - no one has ever denied that. We employ people with families to support. Our server costs, employee health insurance and payroll are very expensive. We believe that it is the American way to be able to provide for your family by starting and growing a business from nothing at all. So yes, many of our decisions are business-minded just like I am sure happens at the companies that employ our members - maybe even yours. It is also true that not all decisions are business. Making decisions both on what is good for the business but ALSO what is good for your people/community/customers/neighborhood/industry/planet is super important in this world and super important to us. Lastly, it is simply not true when you think we are not being genuine with our motives on this. We are striving to make both a better experience for community and for information seekers. I doubt I can convince you of this, but I have been hoping that you will have seen how hard we are working (even over the long weekend) to make things better. And that this would be evidence of our commitment to the community. Sammy, I would be happy to talk with you on the phone so you can hear in my voice my seriousness and truthfulness on this matter. Let me know if I can call you and when (email john at dogster). Best, John @ HQ
    edited 1 June, 2010
    We agree with Dakota and WINNston, YES! If the homepage could be restored, I believe you would make a lot of Dogsters very happy. As for the color- honestly, any nice color would be okay. I leave that up to other Dogsters. And John, Sammy will email you and say he still loves Dogster- and we know everyone has to work hard and provide- he is kind of Grrrr lately, about the changes. We know one thing, anyone who works at Dogster does love animals.
  • Barbara LambertBarbara Lambert OrlandoPosts: 18,671Member ✭✭
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Yippee for the Community Homepage option! |$||$| Thanks John (and the rest of HQ who are working their tails off!) My only \"regret\" is that I live on the East coast, and have to wait an extra three hours for things to go \"live\" from the West coast. ;) I\'ve seen a lot of comments in various forums about the background colors...and I have to agree that the white is very hard on the eyes. Has there been discussion at HQ about some color adjustments? Still hoping to see a a few more tweeks, especially in regard to adoptions. Right now, the Adoption link takes you directly to Petfinder, and all the wonderful pets that are waiting for forever homes there. But, I\'d really like to see a more easily accessible option for searching for adoptable Dogster dogs. Having to navigate to the \"Adoptable Dogs\" stroll is a little too \"buried\" and difficult to get to...especially if you don\'t realize that that option is there. Me and two of my siblings are Petfinder pets...but mama liked the option of first looking for an adoptable dog in the \"Dogster pond\" before going fishing in the \"Petfinder ocean.\" Maybe there could be a direct link to that stroll on the Community Homepage. I gotta admit, I wasn\'t too keen about all the changes at first...but now that I\'ve had a chance to sniff around, and with the tweeks that have already been implemented, the new look is growing on me (kinda like grass! BOL!) I\'m not sure that the new logo and slogan will EVER grow on me....but, you\'re never gonna please all the Dogsters all the time. As long as I can still get to the \"dog park\" to play with my pals...I\'m pretty happy. :q (maybe you could consider a \"barking doxie\" emoticon....we bark way more those retriever type dogs! BOL!)
  • BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaPosts: 6,037Member
    edited 2 June, 2010
    I have to add my complaints to the rest. I have a well-documented resistance to change, and I accept that, so I thought maybe it was just me. Clearly it's not, so while certainly my dissatisfaction is not going to make things go back to the way they were, you can certainly sign me, Unhappy With the "New and Improved" Dogster.
  • edited 2 June, 2010
    Just little me barking but one more complaint I have is that of the 7 groups I belong to only 5 show up on the Community Homepage thing. And the two that aren't showing, I am an admin of! Wish I could get to them a little quicker with one click. :?
  • Jeannine PipeJeannine Pipe Mt LaurelPosts: 47,284Member
    edited 2 June, 2010
    I truly feel that when a member logs in, it should go to the community homepage. It should not be an option, but automatically redirected.
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Hi Cherokee, This functionality should be in today. You will have the option to make your homepage the community page. -John @ HQ
    edited 2 June, 2010
    @Zoe - I hear you on the group listings. We will try and make that better. How would you like to see it? We are also hearing concerns about the white background and how easy (or not) it is to read. At this point we are discussing and brainstorming options. A solution is not yet solidified. John @ HQ
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Also, when I log out, after ensuring the "remember me" is checked, it is not remembering me. Cookies are enabled for Dogster, worked fine before the change......
  • Donna HarrisDonna Harris PlanoPosts: 10,666Member
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Where will we find the option to make the community page the homepage?? thanks!
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Hi, On the Community page, on the left side below your pets and gifts you will see a check box to make the Community page your homepage. If you select this, whenever you click the logo etc you will see the Community page with your pets, greetings and all your pals. Let us know how this works. There is also an 'account' link on the top login bar. @Cherokee - on what page are you seeing the 'remember me' option not working? Woof, John @ HQ
    edited 2 June, 2010
    http://www.dogster.com/ When I start to type my email, it pops in, but it used to be if I came back to the site, I would automatically go to the homepage.
  • edited 2 June, 2010
    HQ, I realize some pups belong to lots of groups, but since that is My page and lists My Groups, why can\'t all the groups I belong to show up? :-k
  • louise nichollouise nichol Posts: 74,667Member
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Thanks John & Ted for the new "make this page your homepage" button! I actually had saved the "community homepage" in my favourites so it wasn't to much of a problem but i know many Dogsters will be much happier with this option :D I personally don't have no issues with the white background and i like the new fonts and green highlights. I'm used to the new look Dogster now and i really think it's great that you're taking on board all the comments and making tweaks here and there. =;
    edited 2 June, 2010
    @Cherokee - I got our best hound hunting down the login issues. @Zoe - all your groups are supposed to be showing up. 3 on top in a bigger format and then the rest in a list below. Weird that all of yours are not showing up. We'll look into it. We are also making it so it shows which ones you are admin for. @Tyler - Thanks! :) -John @ HQ
  • Terri LyonTerri Lyon HomerPosts: 71,120Member
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Thank you HQ, I've made the community page my home page! :D