A good little dog for me?

Jane JohnstonJane Johnston NMPosts: 2,957Member
edited 26 May, 2011 in Choosing the Right Dog
Hi, I am much in the same situation as Tobe. I am thinking of getting a toy dog maybe in the next couple yeawrs. I am getting older and would like a dog I could travel with easily. (Torie is 20 lbs. I contemplated flying wiht her last year, and just about had a nervous breakdown.) I want a dog that is under 15 lbs and maybe under that. I do not want a brachi dog. Getting along with cats is VERY important to me. Therefore I have ruled out anything in the hound. And I don't want to spend lots of time grooming. I am very interested in training so a sharp dog is important. A couple ideas I had were: Papillon, toy poodle (though I am not sure re: breeding of them) or poodle mix if I decide to go the rescue route), someone suggested Maltese or is it Havanese. Your input would be interesting. (BTW, if Torie had her way she'd get a Whippet. She loves Whippets! I think they a bit large and would not be so great with cats.) Thanks, --des

Comments

• Stephanie PykeStephanie Pyke OmahaPosts: 1,372Member
    edited 9 April, 2011
    Maltese and havanese are both brachys. there are a few you can be looking at. Italians are right in that 15 pound range. they are a tiny dog on stilts. Under 15 lbs: Smooth coat Chihuahua long coat chihuahua Min Pin Russkiy Toy Russkiy Toy long hair Prazsky krysarik English toy terrier Yorkshire Terrier papillion Phalene Toy poodle Peruvian inca orchid (amall) Chinese Crested Pomeranian Silky terrier Bolognese Toy fox terrier All of these have nice average length muzzles, though you might like the deer head version of chihuahuas better thatn the AKC stnadard Apple head. incas and cresteds are hairless breeds, bolognese is a smaller bichon style dog. russkiy, prazsky, min pins and english toys all look similar, thought the russkiy has a long haired type that is just lovely. Silkys are bigger than yorkies, and it is easy to confuse them. The others are fairly well known
  • Jane JohnstonJane Johnston NMPosts: 2,957Member
    edited 9 April, 2011
    You did a nice little list for me to research. I see some that are immediately out,imo. I am not a hairless fan for instance. And I can see some which would not be great with cats. However, it is still a nice list. >there are a few you can be looking at. Italians are right in that 15 pound range. they are a tiny dog on stilts. Torie wants one. I'm not sure the cats would be too happy. BOl! :) >Maltese and havanese are both brachys. Hmm, never thought of them that way but I guess so. I'm wondering if I was thinking of the more extreme brachys (Pugs, French bulldog, etc.) Some of these dogs are really on the rare side! --des
  • Jodi MahanJodi Mahan Posts: 574Member
    edited 9 April, 2011
    I have no idea what a \"brachy\" is but I can tell you this, I have 2 Maltese and a Havanese and traveling with the \"Malts\" is awesome! They are quiet and not big barkers, definately lap dogs etc....I also have a Havanese...now mind you I have only had her a week today and she is almost 11 months old but one of the things the AKC says about the breed is they are \"lively.\" Ya...maybe a bit too lively at times. I love the Havanese esp. after she settles down! BOL...but right now she HAS to be the center of attention ( think she has lacked that alot), they are known to LOVE people just like the Malts. I have a dau. and many friends with Shih-tzu\'s and they sure are nice dogs! I read on some dog sites that the best breeds to travel with are Maltese and Yorkies.....the Yorkie surprised me a bit because I have a dau. who has 3 Yorkies and while they are darling, loyal little dogs they are awfully \"barky\". We are getting older too and have done a little traveling and intend to do alot more and I have never for one day regretted having my Maltese...so I\'d definately point you in that direction.
  • Bunny_PrincesseLilyCGNBunny_PrincesseLilyCGN bathurstPosts: 9,421Member ✭✭✭
    edited 9 April, 2011
    If you want a dog with a similar training style to Torie ( I see she is Corgi) , I would go with a Pap. If you are willing to branch out to a dog who takes longer to train, how about a Chi? :) Princesse takes longer to learn something than Bunny does, but when she gets something, it sticks. She is very good with clues (not sure what the real word is ) . For example, now when hubby says " Are we going to bed?" to me, Princesse is up and off to her kennel for the night. Bunny waits to be told, "Time for bed" and then he is like " Do I have to?":)) Bunny taught Princesse to "go get her toy" by getting it everytime I said it to her, then one day she clued in and now goes to get first:) She is a very steady dog, not prone to reactivity ( unlike Bunny:-/ ) Princesse gets along very well with cats , even though we don't have one. :) She also travels very nicely in the car. She curls up and goes to sleep till we get where we are going. She is an alert barker, but if you rescue , there are many Chis that are not.
  • Katherine DutcherKatherine Dutcher Jersey CityPosts: 3,916Member
    edited 9 April, 2011
    Paps or chis would be fine. I dont think that malteses are bracyhcephalic, and I love brachys so Ive researched them pretty thoroughly. I really have not had the problems with my guys that you read about in brachy breeds nor have many of my friends and acquanintenances with brachys. However, i think most brachys are too big for you and of course not to your taste. I think a papillion or chihuahua is the way to go, but dont think a maltese or havanese would be a problem either they are sweet little dogs
    edited 9 April, 2011
    What is a "brachy'???
  • Kimi HKimi H SunderlandPosts: 2,257Member
    edited 9 April, 2011
    Lexi Hope, "brachy" is shorthand for "brachycephalic," which are dogs with short muzzles like Pugs, Bulldogs, Maltese, Shih Tzu, etc. They have some special breathing considerations because of the shape of the faces/noses that might make them a more difficult choice for an active owner in a hot climate. And some people just don't care for the look. ETA: Here's a great page about brachycephalic concerns in dogs.
  • Bella and Daisy BeautifulBella and Daisy Beautiful Posts: 5,136Member
    edited 9 April, 2011
    :? hounds can be great with cats. Bella is good with all cats and Daisy is good with dog savvy cats. If you and torrie would like a whippet, it could work. Especially if you get a puppy.
    edited 9 April, 2011
    Eppy...thanks so much for the info!!! Knowledge is power they say!:) Turner...yes I do get up early most every day...ya know the early doggie gets the first walk and treats at my house!! BOL
    edited 9 April, 2011
    Italian Greyhound sounds like a very awesome compromise if you want a tiny dog and love Whippets. They're wonderful! Papillons, of course, are also in the very upper echelon of small dogdom, not that I speak from a position of bias, oh no of course not! ;) :)) (PS most of the cat stuff is a product of training-- Eppy chases the cat sometimes! :r )
  • Megan PodziusMegan Podzius Baltimore/Washington DCPosts: 266Member
    edited 9 April, 2011
    You did mention that you dont want to do a lot of grooming and if thats the case, then a maltese/havanese/poodle type is probably not for you. Of course you can cut their hair down to a really short length, but the hair still gets tangled, and stuff gets caught in their hair really easily. Over all, the non-shed hypoallergenic dogs tend to need a fair amount of brushing. Papillons sound like a good choice for you though, or maybe a Cavalier. I'm a big fan of the Cav's.
  • Emily CEmily C Posts: 94Member
    edited 9 April, 2011
    Just wanted to say that both iggies and whippets are normally fine with cats as long as they're raised with them. :)
  • Julie SaundersJulie Saunders Posts: 1,322Member
    edited 9 April, 2011
    Torie, have you ever seen a Powderpuff Chinese Crested? They're born in the same litters with hairless Cresteds. They have full, abundant hair that needs regular brushing and grooming. But they're a fabulous option if you decide you like the Crested temperament and don't want a hairless dog. I agree though, if you want a training experience that's like what you have with Torie, then a Papillon is probably you're best choice. I forget, is there something specific you're looking for, temperament-wise? Many toy breeds will fit your requirements, so it comes down to general character and grooming preferences at this point. Are you OK with a little daily brushing? Because even if you go with a short haircut on a Maltese or a Poodle, you'll need to brush daily for upkeep.
    edited 9 April, 2011
    I live in NM so the Brachy breeds wouldn't be so good. IT gets VERY hot here (also I am not fond of the look in the extreme). Otoh, it rarely gets very cold. More stuff: I do not have kids, however, when I retire I plan to do some tutoring from my home. So they would have to do well with kids (over 7 usually). Whippets are a little large. I am wanting a dog you can take in the cabin of an airplane without much trouble. Torie wants one, as she would love to (try) and run after them. Her very favorite dog at the dp is a Whippet. I am not so sure re: IG. Of course, I have a Savannah cat, they are so amazing with dogs she can actually STOP Torie from chasing. Yes, we work on it, but Torie is not perfect. She will sometimes chase the cat. Hermione the Savannah, can just stop her by moving in a way that doesn't set the prey instinct. It is quite remarkable. (I have another cat who doesn't have these gifts. :)) Yes, a dog who could be clipped is ok (at least I think). I like a sort of puppy clip style. Hmm, not so much on the daily brushing though maybe. --des
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston Posts: 7,527Member
    edited 9 April, 2011
    I would knock the Italian off the list personally. They tend to be very fragile dogs in my experience, both physically and healthwise. I don't seem them as a breed who could be rough and tumble with Torie or Hermione, or a dog who could go hiking with you.
  • Candace SasserCandace Sasser StanleyPosts: 559Member
    edited 9 April, 2011
    I like the Toy Fox Terriers and Silky Terriers...what about a small Sheltie? They do shed...but aren't clipped and only need brushing once or twice a week. They're good little travel buddies and are very smart. Just an idea :D
  • Brooke PalmerBrooke Palmer Posts: 2,188Member
    edited 9 April, 2011
    I think a Pap would be a good fit. They have a lovely coat, but it's not TOO thick and fluffy and time consuming. They're also quite intelligent little buggers. I have a jumbo Pom (he's currently 15#). Very intelligent- he is a thinker and loves to learn. LOVED his agility class. From what I've read, it seems like Paps and Poms are pretty similar in the intelligence department. His coat certainly needs a bit of attention though.
    edited 9 April, 2011
    Sherpa, good point re: Iggies. I also may get another Savannah cat. They can get very large (upwards of 20 lbs). Both Torie and Hermione are rough and tumble. Torie has actually nipped (very occasionally certainly not an every day affair, but would be serious in a teensy dog). Torie herds everything. Sheltie-- nice dog but a bit on the large size. Also so much hair. --des
    edited 10 April, 2011
    I can't edit my last post now, but I thought it would be useful for people to know just what a Savannah is like because they are not typical housecats. They are some percentage Serval (a wild African cat). Temperament of a Savannah: "Savannah Cats are unlike any other breed. They are often described as being very 'dog like' in behavior. They are very outgoing and active, loyal, and get along well with both children and dogs. They are easily leash trained and often do very well with clicker training. They show their affection by giving a "head-butt" where they literally bump heads with you. They are also extemely intelligent and curious. They quickly learn to open doors and cabinets and make a game of finding the hiding place of their favorite treats. Another unique trait of the Savannah is their love of water. They find great delight in splashing in their water bowl or in the tub.. All Savannahs have very high energy levels and are extremely curious and playful. These traits are exaggerated in the earlier generations due to the inheritance of size and wild traits from their ancestor, the African Serval. They require a lot of attention because they have a tendency to get into mischief when bored." (I got this off a webpage but I have kind of seen it before.) All true of Hermione but she isn't very fixated on water. But you see it is a bit more like dealing with an active breed of dog in some ways. --des
  • Mike JacobsenMike Jacobsen Posts: 53Member
    edited 10 April, 2011
    Interesting and helpful posts, as usual. Just a few comments. Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are DEFINITELY brachy. Spend a few days with them and you will better understand some of the dimensions of "brachyness." Great dogs but definitely brachy. It does appear that members of the Bichon family require grooming, are intelligent, can be (different messages here) difficult to "potty train," are generally odorless, hypoallergenic and don't shed much. But Maltese and Havanese as "brachy?" For those not familiar with "brachyness," I recommend knowing more before you acquire a brachy dog. For example, some airlines are now banning flights by some brachy breeds. Their respiratory issues cause them to die from time to time when flying. If you plan on flying with a brachy dog, I think you need to know this.
    edited 10 April, 2011
    This is a great post, Guest. Maybe you should join? Obviously there are degrees of "brachiness", from some dogs I don't even think of as brachy to dogs whose health is seriously comprised by it. I had a Boston as a kid. Great dog and a wonderful kid's dog. But I dog I would never want again. They do all that "reverse sneezing" etc. The fact that I live in NM (average summer temp is 90+ and dry) is a big factor. I don't think they fare well. Interestingly they aren't as common here as they seem to be elsewhere (like Pugs and the like). Not that I go out a lot during the day, but it happens. I think flying the main problem is not the cabin but the cargo section, but I am not sure here. Thanks for all your comments. --des
  • Kelli RomanKelli Roman Southern CaliforniaPosts: 1,837Member
    edited 10 April, 2011
    Just a heads up... lots of the toy breeds also do the reverse sneezing, even the ones that aren't brachycephalic. Papillons also have A LOT of coat for someone who isn't into dealing with hairy dogs. I think a Chi would be a perfect companion for you. They're SUPER easy travelers and are fairly easy to train, especially given your training style.
    edited 10 April, 2011
    I just don't see a Chi being good with a Savannah though. Torie - I'm familiar with the breed, my friend owns them and hers are a match even for Tanuk! He won't go near them. I think a toy fox terrier might be better suited. Or, perhaps a really low key dog who isn't likely to be keen to play anyway. I could see a Savannah unintentionally hurting a small dog - or perhaps even thinking it's a prey item. Are yours leash or wheel trained? I've seen Hermione on Catster. |^|
    edited 10 April, 2011
    Eppy reverse sneezes at times. It's scary a bit but it's never caused her a problem. She does have a bit of coat to her but Papillons have a hairlike coat without an undercoat so they're not that hard to groom. You do have to keep on top of combing but you don't have to do it every single day unless it pleases you to.
    edited 10 April, 2011
    Thanks for everyone's great responses. Tanuk, >I just don't see a Chi being good with a Savannah though. It's a fair point. I am pretty sure Hermione would be great with any dog, as far as getting along. BUT she is not really gentle. Torie and Hermione are kind of rough. (I am sure it is why Torie does chase-- Hermione actually gets her to. Of course, like any cat she wants it on her terms.) >Torie - I'm familiar with the breed, my friend owns them and hers are a match even for Tanuk! He won't go near them. I think a toy fox terrier might be better suited. Or, perhaps a really low key dog who isn't likely to be keen to play anyway. I could see a Savannah unintentionally hurting a small dog - or perhaps even thinking it's a prey item. Savannahs do generally like dogs, if they are raised with them. I'm sure Tanuk has no idea what to make of this cat. I hadn't thought toy fox terrier but it might be an idea. I don't know how Padfoot (the other cat) would like that. I sort of like them I think they are good with tricks and that sort of thing that I like to do. I would only bring in a kitten so it would have time to learn to deal with dogs. >Are yours leash or wheel trained? I've seen Hermione on Catster. kitty I missed the end of that, I'll have to look out for you. I don't read catster everyday. Maybe a couple times a week. I go crazy with the people trying to write like they are cats. :) Leash trained, yes. But she is fearful of going outside. Her big exercise is wrestling Padfoot (the cat). When I clicker train Torie, she gets a session too. (Funny thing, Hermione is tiny, unlike many Savannahs. She is actually 5-7 pounds. It's amazing how she can stand up to Torie and the other cat, 17 lbs.) Eppie: >Eppy reverse sneezes at times. It's scary a bit but it's never caused her a problem. Well actually Torie does it at times. I think I was thinking more of the fact that this is VERY frequent with Brachy dogs. But maybe it isn't such a big deal. >She does have a bit of coat to her but Papillons have a hairlike coat without an undercoat so they're not that hard to groom. You do have to keep on top of combing but you don't have to do it every single day unless it pleases you to. Yes, I understand . My other cat has a thin hairlike mostly non-matting coat, I think a lot like a paps. Of course, he hates brushing. But he wouldn't be hard, if he didn't try and bite my hand off. BOL. :) --des
    edited 11 April, 2011
    Oh wow! Hermione is small! My friend has a earlier generation and a later generation and they're both VERY tall and over 15lbs, but skinny. I say Tanuk won't go near them because they want to play, but Tanuk isn't too touchy feely and freaks out with their play style, hehe. They love to wrap in his legs and he just stands there like a statue with a panicked look on his face.
    edited 11 April, 2011
    Hermione is very small, but I have heard of them actually smaller. Average is probably more like 15 or so. Tall though. She is all legs. Tanuk, all cats do the rubbing but I really think Savannahs do about ten times as much. She can't pass Torie without doing a rub or something. Torie is all for this and finds it fun. Savannahs do like to play with a dog, but it has to be a dog that would enjoy it and could handle it. --des
  • Michelle DayMichelle Day Posts: 2,243Member
    edited 12 April, 2011
    Paps are awesome. I never want to be without one! I brush Kit everyday to keep his coat nice. It's nothing too intense, just a quick comb, but he does tend to get mats (especially on/around his ear fringe and under his arms) if I don't keep up with brushing him. Also they can be high energy. Don't know if that's something you're concerned with or not. I've heard them referred to as "the border collie of the toy breeds" and my papillon is VERY high energy. They are also very smart, which can be an awesome combination if you're looking for a dog to do some kind of training/activity with but also means that if you don't give them something to do, they are great at finding ways to get into trouble. I think how any dog acts around other animals (cats) has to do a lot with how they are raised/trained. Kit does like to chase small animals outside (squirrels mostly). He's not good with cats. Actually, he use to be fine with cats until he got attacked by one and now he is not good around them at all. But he is AMAZING with my indoor rabbits, but that's probably just because I taught him that he has to be good around them. Papillons are my all time favorite breed. But I will say that I was not prepared at all for how much energy Kit has when I got him. I've raised or helped to raise a lot of puppies in the past, but none of them where even close to having as much energy as Kit has. He drove me pretty insane at first, but I'm use to him know and wouldn't have him any other way!
    edited 12 April, 2011
    Kitsune, you're a cute little pup! Torie was VERY high energy when I got her (even for a Corgi)-- a bit less so now. I do like hiking (not that I have been in a while and doing tricks and so on). I have been interested in a Pap for awhile but opened this up on other breed possibilities so that I could see if there was something I hadn't been thinking about. --des
  • Marian TwitchellMarian Twitchell Pocatello, IdahoPosts: 6,396Member ✭✭✭
    edited 12 April, 2011
    I'm going to make a suggestion...have you ever thought about a Boarder Terrier? They are awesome little dogs....don't let the "Terrier" part scare you off. These guys were breed to be good with other animals...unlike most Terriers...they shouldn't be other dog aggressive. Great with kids...They are a versatile breed too...hardy enough for hiking, biking,etc. or just happy to be a couch potato. Minimal grooming needs...pretty much a wash and wear dog. They are dang cute too.