She pees when she\'s excited

No Such PersonNo Such Person Lizard LickPosts: 284Member
edited 19 April, 2011 in Behavior & Training
The puppy is cute, and she doesn't belong to me, she is my mom's pom. But every time I come for a visit she pees and basically goes crazy seeing me. My mother says she doesn't go crazy the way she does for anyone else, and has developed a mean growl for strangers like the UPS delivery guy. She goes crazy when she sees me, doing flip-flops and I worry she might hurt herself in the process. I don't get it. What does it mean, and how do we tone it down?

Comments

• SayaSaya Posts: 3,981Member
    edited 16 April, 2011
    She might just be excited there's excitable pee and submissive pee. Saya used to pee with every person that she really loved and was excited for. I guess taking her outside to pee right before she goes to see you might help or greet her outside so the pee is outside.. Maybe try to ignore her when she acts so excited and when she calms down enough pet her? I dunno.. Saya excitable peed for a long time she stopped at one year, but did pee when she met someone she hadn't seen and when she saw my brother's girlfriend. She's will be two on the 20th and she hasn't peed over people she likes. The ignoring her when excited might help with the peeing too.
  • Mike JacobsenMike Jacobsen Posts: 53Member
    edited 18 April, 2011
    I just posted about my daughters dog peeing when she sees us on another thread. She has always done this with just us. She is now middle-aged but we played a major role in her puppy training. She adores us to the point of obsession sometimes. She just does it at initial greeting so we greet her outside. I do wonder if it should, or could, be corrected, or is a sign of some problem, but so far we just handle it with an outside greeting. Maybe it is a sign of love? :D
  • Mike JacobsenMike Jacobsen Posts: 53Member
    edited 18 April, 2011
    I just posted about my daughters dog peeing when she sees us on another thread. She has always done this with just us. She is now middle-aged but we played a major role in her puppy training. She adores us to the point of obsession sometimes. She just does it at initial greeting so we greet her outside. I do wonder if it should, or could, be corrected, or is a sign of some problem, but so far we just handle it with an outside greeting. Maybe it is a sign of love? :D
  • Julie SaundersJulie Saunders Posts: 1,322Member
    edited 19 April, 2011
    Ah, excited peeing. Now there's a flashback to the first three years or so of Lisa's life. She peed whenever over-excited, particularly when we kids came home from school every day. So let me recall my past experience with her and give you some tips. First of all, know that the excited peeing is not a housetraining issue. It is not really a training issue at all, actually. It's a situation where she just becomes SO EXCITED that she loses control of her bladder. It's a physical reaction, in other words. She may grow out of it someday, but at this point, as a young puppy and a small breed besides, it's really something you need to focus on managing. So take a look at what "triggers" her peeing. Is it just when she sees you? Or is it a reaction to something? With Lisa, the main thing that sent her over the top was reaching down to pet her when she was already excited. She run at you all wiggling and excited, then you'd touch the top of her head, and there it went. So the rule became, no touching her when you first come through the door. You could say "Hi" verbally or something, but otherwise you had to ignore her until she calmed down a bit. Then she could handle being pet and played with without losing bladder control. If there's no specific trigger and she just loses it the second she sees you, then there are a couple of things you can do. First, make sure she always greets you either outside or on an easy-clean surface for now. Then start changing your greeting behavior with her. Make you coming to visit into something very mundane and boring. Don't use any high-pitched or excited voices, no boisterous, excited hellos (even to the human family members, if possible), etc. Do not look at or interact with the dog. Just pretend she's not there - and that coming to visit is just the least exciting thing (if you can without offending anybody ;)) - until she has calmed down. You might even have the family crate her in a quiet room when you arrive, so you can get your excited/happy family greetings out of the way before releasing her into the environment. Anyway, once she's a bit more chill, interact with her in some way that's satisfying for her but low-key. Hopefully if you can make this a habit she'll stop seeing you coming in as such a Big Exciting Deal and stay a little more calm. I've never tried this, but you could experiment with some kind of greeting behavior that's less-compatible with peeing, like having her sit to greet. I'm thinking she might be less likely to pee from that position. If she still does, though, don't have her continue doing that behavior to greet. You don't want her sitting in her own urine, after all. Anyway, if you don't want to greet her calmly (and who can blame you? Excited puppies are so CUTE), then you can always greet her outside, where the pee won't be a problem. I recall many afternoons standing outside in the grass after school, calling Lisa to come outside so I could say hi without fear of repurcussions. :D Most likely she will grow out of this, but if she does it may take a while. Maybe a year, like someone else mentioned. Maybe three years, like Lisa. Maybe longer. I believe that's what happens with most excited pee-ers, though there are some who carry on with it their whole lives.
  • Dana BoulwareDana Boulware Posts: 4,989Member
    edited 19 April, 2011
    Used to have a Pom that did this. Even Kahuna did this. COMPLETELY IGNORE her upon arrival. Wait 20-30 min\'s until she forgets about you, don\'t look her in the eye or acknowledge her in any way, then cuddle. In a heightened state she can\'t help herself. When she\'s calm she\'ll have better control. Also don\'t amp her up when you do pet her, because again she may pee. Be very calm ;)