Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

Goals for the New Year...A list:

Tiffany MitchellTiffany Mitchell IOWAPosts: 6,792Member
edited 4 January, 2012 in Behavior & Training
I'm pretty sure we usually do one of these on here! :)):-$ Any goals for the year 2012? Any accomplishments you want to brag about for the year 2011? ;)

Comments

• Tena ParkerTena Parker PittsburghPosts: 3,333Member
    edited 21 December, 2011
    Awesome thread idea! Really great idea Emma :h:=D>=D> 2011 Brags: Shayne got her CGC and made LOTS of doggie friends successfully (including a few fosters), Rio earned a few top three finishes in frisbee events and has been an excellent demo dog for my training classes. 2012 Goals--For both dogs to step in the Rally-O ring during competition and have fun and to step in an agility ring for a competition and have fun. I'd like Rio to get his TDI and Shayne to make more doggie friends!
  • Jordan DuncanJordan Duncan ClaremontPosts: 1,008Member
    edited 21 December, 2011
    Great Idea 2011 Brags: GOT PICKED UP BY MOM!! I was adopted this year. Survived a very dangerous possibly life changing condition of my spine narrowing. Mom nearly had a heart attack thinking I'd be paralyzed. 2012 Dream: Complete training and maybe obtain my CGC. Be a good companion for mommy and master my separation anxiety and fears.
  • edited 21 December, 2011
    love it!!! 2011 Brags: Asher earned his ARCHMX Demon earned his ARCH Angel earned her CGC Mom earned her ANWI, became a member of the APDT Rally committee, a Level 1 APDT Rally judge and judged her 1st event 2012 Goals: Demon - ARCHX maybe ARCHEX Angel - ORT The Pug - RL1 maybe RL2 Merlin - some freestyle Ash - Become a member of our drill team Mom - CNWI and a Rally 2 judge
  • Jamie OJamie O SyracusePosts: 6,077Member
    edited 21 December, 2011
    2011 Brags: Earned her AKC RN in January. Earned her WCFO Freestyle W-FDX/MF (Novice title) in June. Earned her RL1 AoE in APDT Rally in August. Earned her AKC CA (Coursing Ability) in September. Earned 2 local titles in lure coursing WCE (Wylde Courser Enthusiast) and WCM (Wyle Courser Maniac). Continued to make improvements in her reactivity training. 2012 Goals: Continue to compete in WCFO freestyle (in both live and video competitions) and maybe get her W-FDM/MF (Intermediate title). Finish her RA in AKC Rally (hopefully in January!). Continue to compete in APDT Rally and work towards earning her RL2, RL1X, and the ARCH. Go lure coursing as many times as possible and earn her WCX (Wylde Courser Extreme) and maybe some legs towards her CAA (AKC Coursing Ability Advanced). And, as always, continued improvement on her dog reactivity.
  • Katie MoutonKatie Mouton KatyPosts: 170Member
    edited 21 December, 2011
    Love it. We'll I'm in college so I don't have a whole lot of time but a small accomplishment is better than nothing! 2011: Both dogs learned clicker training and responded beautifully to it! Madison is kind of a shy dog but we've been working on socialization and shes been making great progress. Much more confident in new situations great with little kids who want to pet her. 2012: For Ginger I recently saw a thread about trick dog titles so the goal is intermediate for Ginger. For Madison- Trick dog title novice and the C.L.A.S.S. title
  • Erica PrestonErica Preston Posts: 802Member
    edited 21 December, 2011
    Great thread idea! 2011: We're still working on proofing basic commands and LLW in preparation for CGC. But even bigger, this past year Lenny and I discovered Nosework. We (or rather he) took it and ran off with it, and we're still running! Our brag of the year: Lenny passed his ORT with a time of 5.8 seconds ;c; 2012: In 2012 I am hoping to have Lenny prepared for his CGC. After another obedience class I'm hoping this will be possible. Other goals for 2012 are to prepare and possibly compete in a NW1 trial and to try a basic agility class.
  • Katie HerrmannKatie Herrmann AuroraPosts: 3,681Member
    edited 21 December, 2011
    2011 Brags- I fostered for my second year, saving the lives of about 30 more dogs!! I fenced my yard in and the dogs are loving it. 2012 Goals- Desensitize Sarah to the nail clipper. Shape up Sarah's LLW Get Sarah enrolled in Nosework class (sampler class tomorrow night!) Get out and walk several miles every week with the dogs.
  • Brooke PalmerBrooke Palmer Posts: 2,188Member
    edited 21 December, 2011
    2011 Brags: Nicky going up to a stranger and wanting her to pet him :-O I think she reminded him of grandma and even the dog knows how awesome grandmas are =; 2012 Goals: Keep on keepin on with his reactivity- he's doing great!, hopefully getting back in the classroom in spring, refine his heel, continue trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong with teaching retrieve
    edited 21 December, 2011
    2011 brag: Winnie and I can now run an agility course off-leash! 2012 goals: Compete in an agility trial Earn our CGC and TDI
  • OnyxOnyx Posts: 3,322Member
    edited 21 December, 2011
    2011: Got basic obedience down pretty well. Started herding and is making great strides at that. 2012: Hoping to do some herding trials and conformation shows, move onto advanced obedience, and start bite work, agility, nose work/tracking, and dock diving. Also planning to get his BH. Gonna be a busy year!
  • edited 21 December, 2011
    2011: Adopted Zeph. Made huge strides in her other dog 'issues'. Skipped ahead to the 'advanced' (Pre-novice stuff) local obedience class after 3 classes Taught her how to play 2012: Improve her play and focus and get her to a consistent retrieve. Actually get her ILP rather than just stare at the envelope on my table. Attend out first Rally dealio. Continue training toward her BH and CD. Make myself get ready for the AD. Have fun in agility class. Drag myself south for herding.
  • Kim TollefsonKim Tollefson Posts: 1,932Member
    edited 21 December, 2011
    Fun thread !!!!! Maggie 2011 *Earned her MAD *Started training in Scent Hurdle *After a 3.5 year hiatus from obedience because of Maggie's ring stress issues, I finally put her back in the ring and she qualified and was High In Trial. Best of all, she was happy and wagging her tail the entire time. Maggie 2012 *Get that last leg for her CD *Compete in Scent Hurdle Bosley 2011 *Earned his first CDX leg. *Earned his AGDC title *Earned his SHD and SHDX titles becoming the first Bernese to ever title in Scent Hurdle. *Halfway to his CKC agility Championship Bosley 2012 *Finish his CDX *Finish his ATCh *Hopefully a AgMCh this year if we can get to enough trials
  • Leah StratesLeah Strates Posts: 2,684Member
    edited 22 December, 2011
    Greatest hits for 2011: Did loads of work on llw. Learned speak. Worked on fear issues. Changed to raw diet. Next year: more fun socializing with other dogs. Try to find somewhere to get involved in herding. And maybe local dog club? Sounds like we all achieved heaps this year!
  • Leah StratesLeah Strates Posts: 2,684Member
    edited 22 December, 2011
    And stop making double posts!
  • Sam SmithSam Smith Posts: 1,946Member
    edited 22 December, 2011
    2011 Charlie: Made large strides in his leash reactivity. Went from a reaction level of 10/10 to a reaction level of 3/10. Learned many more tricks(although mom can't remember for the life of her which ones were 2011 taught!:)) ) Got him desensitized to the Halti. Made large strides in his LLW training. Made many people jealous that they don't have a Charlie too! Bol. Maya: Learned to trust people again and allow people into the home again without signs of fear aggression. Learned how to jump back from stressers and/or anxiety/startlement. Paved the way for mom to work with dogs with history of forms of aggression or fear. Learned to make friends and not be the Fun Police with other dogs. Learned to not feel the need to hide under tables with sudden movement or raised voices. Was a happy, trusting, loving dog again by the time she went to the rainbow bridge. Mom: Was a first time foster parent for a rescue. Fostered a Beagle with serious resource guarding, impulse control problems, escape artistry, and what was possible fear aggression with humans. I was the first foster parent who ever had him NOT to get bit by him. Taught him to trust people again; to give more clear warning signs instead of serious bites with minimal cues; taught him to bark when uncomfortable and sit, instead of bite; reinforced that NOT escaping meant good things happened; taught him to be okay with people and dogs around his food dishes; taught him how to play gently; reinforced that patience and calm behavior meant rewards and play. Learned how to properly use a clicker. Educated others on alpha rolls and the dominance theory versus positive reinforcement. Helped train and socialize a husky who would bite first, think later when greeting new dogs and would bite her people because they were alpha rolling her, and she wouldn't listen - taught her owner how to use positive reinforcement and bond with the dog and help the dog learn to greet other dogs PROPERLY so that she wouldn't be rehomed - she's now a very happy, behaving husky who is learning to make new friends. Made the previous owner of my Rottweiler Maya be there when I had to euthanize her to reinforce that neglect only ends badly and he needed to start working on how he was with his dogs. 2012 Charlie: Be a loose leash walking dog more consistently! Learn to react 0/10 times and to ignore other dogs on leash. Learn many more tricks and perhaps earn some trick dog titles. Work on more outside obedience and handler focus with distraction training. Work on training to earn CGN and hopefully be done Therapy training to apply next year. Possibly join some obedience classes to reinforce outdoor obedience and distraction training. Mom: Learn to be a little more consistent with the outside training, bol. Learn to stop letting people get to me when they try to tell me how to train my dog(look at how far I've come!). Learn to forgive myself for not being able to give Maya more than I had been able to. Work more with rescues in rescue efforts and education.
  • edited 22 December, 2011
    Wiley resolves for 2012 that he will lose those last pesky 5 pounds...|$| Squ'mey resolves to find them!~b~ Together they resolve the enigma of the interlocking lid on the dog food tub shall be revealed:))
  • Claire RobisonClaire Robison Oregon CityPosts: 4,926Member
    edited 22 December, 2011
    BOL, Squ'mey! :)) for 2012, I want Bruno to achieve his CGC, and I want to try him in agility or rally-O. Also working to desensitize him to being examined by a vet- working on this with "fun visits" every week or so. Goal is to have a FULL vet exam sans muzzle or restraint or sedative sometime mid 2012.
  • Sue GreenSue Green Madison WIPosts: 209Member
    edited 22 December, 2011
    Goals: Obedience work from the ground up. Work on my bad handling habits. Proof on animals, especially horses and pheasants. Hopefully, we'll do lots of camping.
  • edited 22 December, 2011
    2011: Ghost finished his Champion title, made good progress in basic obedience, completed one leg of his herding capability test, and is doing well with nosework. Goals for 2012: Pass ORT1 and trial NW1 early in the year, go for his Grand Champion title, go to Europe for breed evaluation, start tracking, resume herding, get his hips and elbows scored and depending on scores, buy a bike to start endurance training.. and grow into his big feet. and the rest of the dogs: goals are to tolerate him for yet another year..
  • Lindsey NocommentLindsey Nocomment Seattle, WAPosts: 704Member
    edited 22 December, 2011
    Squ'mey :))! 2011: started nose work and obedience (great improvements here) and she learned how to "close it" (shutting doors and cupboards and drawers for me), hands up (which is exactly what it sounds like), shake and probably a thing or two I'm forgetting (she wasn't trick trained when she first came to us) and we really improved off leash reliability! 2012: Well seeing as it is possible that Ellie will not be with us for all of 2012 I have been trying to prepare myself for that. I would love to do agility with her as I think she would not only love it but excel, but due to the potential of her leaving, I won't start it :(( Ugh, it makes me so sad to think about. So on a happier note, we will likely continue nose work and advanced manners and work on solidifying recall in high distraction areas. I've been blessed to have had Ellie for over a year now and have loved working with her and will keep at it until she is ready to go "home" (our home has been the most stable thing in her life thus far, but the goal is that she will be returning to a steady forever home when the time is right)
  • Kena JohnsonKena Johnson FairbanksPosts: 558Member
    edited 22 December, 2011
    Brags: Novie-I GOT ADOPTED!!! Saleega-I GOT ADOPTED!!!! Buddy-Putting up with these two!!! Goals: Novie-Continue training, and possibly CGC and Therapy Dog~a~ Saleega-Be better Off Leash and Therapy Dog~a~ Buddy-Work on adjusting to these two better, Therapy Dog~a~
  • Kena JohnsonKena Johnson FairbanksPosts: 558Member
    edited 22 December, 2011
    Brags: Novie-I GOT ADOPTED!!! Saleega-I GOT ADOPTED!!!! Buddy-Putting up with these two!!! Goals: Novie-Continue training, and possibly CGC and Therapy Dog~a~ Saleega-Be better Off Leash and Therapy Dog~a~ Buddy-Work on adjusting to these two better, Therapy Dog~a~ ETA- Mom-To start her own Dog Training business!!! Still need a name though... :-k Don't know why there's a DP...Weird
  • StellaStella Posts: 6,822Member
    edited 22 December, 2011
    :-k 2011: Adopted Rusty. Such a sweet dog! 2012: Have him not lick the slider panes??? :)) Rusty will start Obedience class, hopefully get his CGC sometime that year, and learn to share his toys . He's willing, so the sky's the limit for what he is capable of!
  • Tiffany MitchellTiffany Mitchell IOWAPosts: 6,792Member
    edited 24 December, 2011
    oh Rusty- I just saw this today at a store: "If the Sky is the Limit, why are there footprints on the moon." Just a random coincidence, bol! Thought I'd share. :) Great lists. Love all of the different goals and my but aren't we an accomplished crowd!! I'm in awe of the awesomeness~! Anyone else??
  • Sherry BodinSherry Bodin Hood CanalPosts: 2,746Member
    edited 24 December, 2011
    Maggie: 2011 - Finally finished her CTL-3 in CPE agility! No other trailing news as we never did get a CD Q :( 2012 - Go to CPE Nationals! Maybe a CTL-4 (depending on trials that I can actually go to). & just because it is always on my list - finish her RAE in AKV Rally. Porter: 2011/2012 - This is more me related...but I finally figured out that he really just wants to be my pet. He loves to play with me, but not too big on the competition, so I have "retired" him to summer agility only and he is quite happy with it. Tika: 2012 - Her ASCA CD (or a single leg depending on judges/trials). Begin agility training and depending on trial dates in 2012 even be trial ready by the end of the year!
  • Tiffany MitchellTiffany Mitchell IOWAPosts: 6,792Member
    edited 30 December, 2011
    Brags for 2011: Tucker- ADOPTED!~ ok, not so much a brag as a yippee! :) Moved into a new house with some acres. Worked on recall, which of course Emm rocks at. Tuck, still working on. Went to a seminar and workshop (BAT and Nosework respectively). Started an agility class. Looking forward to 2012: Work on skills for Tucker, namely getting his recall up to snuff. Pick up agility and rally-o again for Emm. Starting NW class, so maybe ORT later this year. We'll see what else follows. Also, maybe another foster dog and/or another member of the family. :) The important thing- keep trying new things, and have some fun!!;P :P Happy New Years Dogsters! :P
  • Alex OldenburgAlex Oldenburg Mapleton / Mankato / St. ClairPosts: 1,332Member
    edited 31 December, 2011
    2011: -Earned State Champion in 4-H in Showmanship, Jumpers and Agility! -Earned first rally and obedience legs in AKC at first show! -This is just dog related... but anyways: my team taking first in the state for Dog Quiz Bowl in 4-H! -Setting it up for my therapy dog group to come to my college for stress busting! 2012: -Finish AKC beginner obedience and novice rally titles -Show in an AKC agility show -Do well and make it to state in all of our new levels of 4-H competition -Get Mya to hold a dumbell! -Try and make it to enough therapy dog visits to earn our first titles in that (50 visits) because I will have my license soon! :D -Be able to trust Mya more off-leash
  • Keri CopelandKeri Copeland ManchesterPosts: 15,561Member
    edited 31 December, 2011
    2011- Roxie learned to NOT jump up on strangers in the park.. And that is enough for me. No titles, nothing like that.. But she learned how to be a GOOD DOG, and that will do :) Beanie learned that she can be offleash and NOT run up to people barking :)).. ON a serious note she has come on leaps and bounds with her fear issues and is pretty much an all round fantastic dog :) Goals for 2012- Improve loosh leash walking for both dogs!!.. And hopefully we (boyfriend and I ) will be able to finally move out and take Trixie with us, leaving Roxie to lead a happy life as an only dog (without the drama that is currently our lives with crate and rotate ). And who knows, perhaps there will be a puppy addition by the end of the year seeing as how we wouldn't be living with Roo anymore!
  • Alexa TravisAlexa Travis Birmingham, ALPosts: 4,692Member
    edited 31 December, 2011
    2012: Stop peeing in the crate. :q
  • Eric EngleEric Engle IndianapolisPosts: 113Member
    edited 1 January, 2012
    2011: Has gotten pretty solid on a lot of her obedience. Completed two basic training courses. Found her training style and currency :)) 2012: Agility honing is our biggest goal for 2012. Continue agility training with our club to prepare for trialing. Get her CGC. Rally-O trial in March. Possibly obtain her RN. Herding Instinct Test in February. Starting Herding Classes. Dock Diving this summer (As Piper would have it NO other way :)) )