Akita pigment changing color from black --> pink --> black

akita manakita man Posts: 1Member
edited 22 February, 2012 in Akita
4 months ago, my Akitas nose, corner of eyes, and mouth started changing from pink to black We were concerned about autoimmune disease: namely VKH and were supposed to go get a skin biopsy to diagnose it However, a month ago, they started reversing back to black again and we did not bother. Once again, his pigment is going back to pink. From what I understand, autoimmune disorders involving Vitilligo/loss of pigment are permanent. Anyone have this happen with their Akitas due to allergies or some other reversible cause. Thanks

Comments

• April ShuylerApril Shuyler Posts: 640Member
    edited 22 February, 2012
    Lobo has an immune disorder known as Pemphigus Foliaceus. It's actually common in Akitas. Not "common" in the sense that it's seen in /many/ Akitas, but in the sense that, if your dog has it, your dog is more than likely an Akita or has Akita in him. Lobo's on medication for it, but it is a lifelong thing that he will always struggle with. Always. From what I know of it, it looks different for every dog, but typically attacks the facial area, the paws, and the "personal" places. Take him to the vet and check it out. Most immune disorders are fatal if not treated. Pemphigus Foliaceus is also fatal if not treated and medicated.