Just for fun: How does your dog greet you?

Jessica VanderhoffJessica Vanderhoff Posts: 626Member
edited 27 September, 2012 in Behavior & Training
Greeting me at the door, I think, was actually how my relationship with Kodiak started to change from "this is my boyfriend's dog" to "how did I ever live without you?" It was total, over-the-top excitement. He would sprint back and forth for a while, run back to lick my face, do a couple laps, come back for an ear scratch. . . you get the idea. Joyful puppy exuberance. It made me feel very special. He's always been totally inconsistent, though. One day he will glance up at me and continue in his nap, another day he will throw his ears back, bark/howl/roar, sprint to the door as fast as he can, and leap up to put his paws on my shoulders and coat me in kisses (we've relaxed on jumping, because he never does it with strangers). Then he will follow me around the apartment, whining as if it's causing him physical pain to be ignored. As soon as I stop petting him, he'll paw at me urgently, or give me sad puppy eyes. He sees me every morning, he doesn't spend much time alone, and I always get home around the same time, so this totally cracks me up. What about your dogs? Are they pretty consistent, or does anything go?

Comments

• Tammy TaylorTammy Taylor Posts: 225Member
    edited 16 May, 2012
    Maci gets excited but usually says hi quickly then gets to the back door cause she wants supper now. Harley gets all wiggly and runs to get something to greet me with, usually the kitchen towel. He has gone all the way upstairs and brought down a kingsize comforter before :) He always needs a tummy rub too.
  • Claire OClaire O Posts: 19Member
    edited 16 May, 2012
    I love it! It always feels nice, especially after a long day! Do you find that even if you've only gone for a little while, they greet you the same way as if you've gone away for hours? For me, it's super intense tail wagging! It's almost as if she's going to wag her tail off or break it! There's also jumping and some soft, high-pitched barking but this occurs less often. Lots of licking (she's pretty small so the licks are centred around my knee area), leaning and she'll rub herself all over me! I try to bring down the energy level by ignoring her for a little while until she calms a bit while I put things away. Then she proceeds to follow me around the house with full-on eye contact (I wish this 'heel' translated outdoors!).
  • Rhonda DunnRhonda Dunn RamonaPosts: 646Member
    edited 16 May, 2012
    I work a 3-11 shift M-F. When I leave in the afternoon, I give the dogs their grilled turkey filled kongs and leave the tv on and walk out the door. When I come home at night I see them throughthe door and they somehow know I am coming and all 3 are waiting patiently at the door waiting for me to open it. Callie and Huck are sitting there with a toy each and Wyatt is just laying there waiting. When I walk in the door Huck and Callie pick up the toys and start squeaking them and bringing them to me and Wyatt is running around me. I sit down and ask them how their afternoon went and play a little tug with their toy and then say ok, lets go out and we go out for our potty walk. I love their greetings, it really makes my night.
    edited 16 May, 2012
    Whole body wiggles....wagging tail.....big slobbery kisses all over my face. I know she is a puppy and you are suppose to ignore her to show her that it is not a big deal..........but tell me HOW!!!:)) I just lap up those kisses and say Phooey!:))!
  • Leah StratesLeah Strates Posts: 2,684Member
    edited 16 May, 2012
    Well, it depends on how long I've been gone. This morning I was out for half an hour, all he did was wag his tail and carefully inspect my pants for interesting sniffs ... he always has to do that. But man, if I've been away all day he totally spazzes out, does crazy laps of the lounge at full speeds, beats up his toys ... if I've been away on holiday he actually jumps on me. :)) One time he grabbed my leg and hung there ... I was worried it would lead to a bit of humping but nope, he just needed to cling on. :)) Bit sad!
  • Brooke PalmerBrooke Palmer Posts: 2,188Member
    edited 16 May, 2012
    Nicky's tail goes 100 miles a second and he stands up on his hind legs and paws at the air and then play bows and does a few zoomies. Paris jumps straight up in the air to get in my face because she's the only one in the world worth giving attention to in her mind :)) She'll even jump on Nicky's back when I'm trying to pet him to try to deflect my attention.
  • Cassandra HattCassandra Hatt OntarioPosts: 167Member
    edited 16 May, 2012
    Bailey usually sprints to the door and sits in front of me with her ears completely back and tail wagging super fast. Sometimes when she's REALLY happy she'll lift her paw up, because she knows if she does that she gets a treat or petted:)) it's the cutest thing ever. Sometimes she will just sit on the stairs with her tail wagging, and when I say "Come here Bailley!" and bend down with my arms stretched out she'll come running. But all-in-all she's pretty consistent!
  • tony songtony song Posts: 55Member
    edited 16 May, 2012
    My dog likes to kiss me and tries to jump into my arms.Just like we haven't saw each other for a long long time.
  • DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    edited 16 May, 2012
    The whole herd runs up to me and wags, sniffs, whines, and slobbers me. BOL
  • Rachel LaforgeRachel Laforge Posts: 1,642Member
    edited 17 May, 2012
    Oh they are typical Boxer wiggle butts!! They wag their whole rear end doing the kidney bean. Both try and jump up and lick my face. Kashmir does will sometimes get excited and "tell" me about her day. Most of the time she has a lot to say :))!
  • Kasie NaklickKasie Naklick Posts: 355Member
    edited 17 May, 2012
    It depends. If I've just come home from work, Noah will be excited and happy but mostly he wants to sniff my clothes to see what other dogs I've been around while at work. If we've left him somewhere for a day (or even handed him off to someone else for an hour), he goes completely out of his mind when he sees us again. His butt wiggles (his whole body actually), he whines, he licks and generally carries on like we abandoned him for 10 years and have just now returned for him.
  • Jessica VanderhoffJessica Vanderhoff Posts: 626Member
    edited 17 May, 2012
    I'm enjoying reading these :-) It sounds like Harley is doing the equivalent of waving a hankie! :-P Keeva, I have to agree. If there's no overexcited peeing or bad behavior, you just gotta drink it in!! It's good for the ego to be met with that kind of enthusiasm :-D So far it seems like most dogs have a rhyme or reason to why their hellos are more or less enthusiastic, like how long it's been. I've noticed that when Kodiak sees one of us unexpectedly, he totally flips out. It's funny to watch people's reactions, because it looks quite aggressive- this wolf looking dog (massively huge, by city dog standards) giving a big deep howl and straining at the leash like he's going to eat me. Sometimes I'll let him knock me over on the sidewalk just to freak people out :-) Of course the jig is up when he starts burying his nose in my armpit and rolling over for a belly rub. But then I could come home after being at work all day, and he will begrudgingly walk over, sniff at my sweater, and go about his business. Granted I'm in the expected place at the expected time and J is already there with him, but that's still the case on the days he freaks out! It's very funny.
  • Tammy TaylorTammy Taylor Posts: 225Member
    edited 17 May, 2012
    Kashmir - LOVE the description "doing the kidney bean". That is exactly how the butt wiggling, twisting to get close to you looks like.
  • Alexa TravisAlexa Travis Birmingham, ALPosts: 4,692Member
    edited 17 May, 2012
    Mulder will walk up, wag his tail a few times, then go off and do his own thing (unless I have groceries, in which case it is a requirement that they be inspected first). Sally usually can't be bothered to come downstairs or get off the couch... ho-hum. When I let Ridley out of his crate, he tries to climb me like Everest.
  • Lucille PLucille P Posts: 3,390Member
    edited 17 May, 2012
    I get the full body tail wag. It's hilarious...she wags so hard that sometimes one of her front paws will come off the ground as she goes side to side. Then she HAS to quickly find a toy to stuff in her mouth (She was a very mouthy pup so she's been trained to do that when she's excited rather than mouth people). Then she runs around with the toy sometimes jumping off things like the footstool until I let her out. It's the same every time, unless I am laden with shopping bags. Then the wiggle happens but no toy grab...EVERY bag must be inspected in full within seconds. There just might be something in there for her, dontchaknow. :D
  • Krista LynnKrista Lynn Posts: 5,021Member
    edited 17 May, 2012
    Durring the winter she greets me like it was the worst thing in the world that I ever left her! How could I do that! There was no one to love her! And she stands on her hind leg (sometimes paws at my leg) to be picked up, hugged and so she can give me kisses. In the summer she greets me like it was the worst thing in the world that I ever left her in the house. And just runs to the back door so I can let her back out. No jumping up to get picked up, no hugging, no kissing...just open that beeping door!!
  • Jessica VanderhoffJessica Vanderhoff Posts: 626Member
    edited 17 May, 2012
    Ah yes, the inspection :-D Kodiak does a sniffsniffsniff and then plants himself directly in my path, sits pertly and stares at the bag with total "I KNOW I AM NOT ALLOWED TO BARK BUT I WOULD LIKE THAT VERY MUCH PLEASE GIVE IT TO ME focus. I think he figures it's better to be good for no reason than miss out on a potential treat or toy.
  • Sarah LanglySarah Langly N.Posts: 2,475Member
    edited 17 May, 2012
    Although Moose is in a crate, he's super excited to see me walk in. Usually his tail is thumping away, making lots of noise up against the wire crate. When I open the crate door he will normally come out with a toy in his mouth, wiggle like crazy while I hug him. He'll then lead me to the back of the house where his couch is and I sit down on the couch while he climbs in my lap with his toy. Sometimes when I open his crate door, he'll be lying down with his tail thumping away but he won't come out. I'll climb in enough to give him belly rubs and then after a few minutes of that he'll come out with a toy in his mouth and lots of wiggles.
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoPosts: 11,036Member
    edited 17 May, 2012
    Bianca comes to the door with her tail wagging and pushes past anyone who is coming in the door in front of me to reach me, sniffs me and licks and that's about it. She's doesn't jump up on me or anything like that though, I think her previous owners were really strict about jumping. Unless I've been out of town or something in which case she comes running, whining/moaning and bouncing around like crazy.
  • StellaStella Posts: 6,822Member
    edited 17 May, 2012
    Rusty is usually sleeping on one of the couches (I peek in the window sometimes), does a yawn & stretch at the door, and jumps in the air. He's not allowed to jump on me, so he grabs a toy and runs around with it, furiously wagging his tail. I toss the toy a few times & we go outside to do his business. After that, I sit down to fuss over him. He does the famous Cocker lean into me and accepts my accolades. :)) Dahlia would dance like a maniac, whine, and demand that I give her attention. I could be gone an hour or ten hours; it was still the same.
  • OzfozzOzfozz OshawaPosts: 9,366Member ✭✭
    edited 17 May, 2012
    Cobain will come up and do a polite greeting - nuzzling, tail wag, happy face - for a few seconds and then dive straight into my shoes. I currently work in an area where food is often dropped onto the floors. So I come home with loads of it packed into my shoes. Sanitary? Of course not, but he's been my shoe cleaner for years.
  • OnyxOnyx Posts: 3,322Member
    edited 17 May, 2012
    Onyx will dash past me when I open the bedroom door then stand at the end of the hall like, "You coming or what?" until I follow him. Once we're outside he's all tail wags and half jumps. He'll run ahead then dart back to say hello again about five times.
  • Leah StratesLeah Strates Posts: 2,684Member
    edited 18 May, 2012
    LOL Kashmir, "Kidney bean." :))! Yeah, JT has to carefully inspect groceries too, but he usually can't get to them coz I always dump them on the bench before letting him inside (he stays in the fenced yard when we're out, with big old padlocks on the gates.) But I do take him to the butcher's to get his food and he always carefully inspects what I have bought him when I set the bags down to un-tie him from the front of the store, he watches eagerly through the window too, I don't know what the butcher thinks lol with this big black dog pressed against the glass observing the proceedings. Probably that I'm strange. He also has to check shoes, particularly vistor's shoes, he spent like twenty whole minutes snuffling around my mother's ballerina flat once . . .
  • Samantha CahillSamantha Cahill Chesapeake BeachPosts: 238Member
    edited 18 May, 2012
    Once Okami realizes it's me coming through the door, she will run and grab one of her toys, lay her ears flat against her head, start wagging her tail furiously, and then she will growl at me. It's the funniest thing! :)) I've never had a dog that growled out of happiness, but she's so stinking cute when she does it. When she doesn't have a toy in her mouth, she'll make this half "awooo" sound and half growl noise, bol! Then she'll run around like a nut for a few minutes and whenever she comes back to me, she will briefly grab my hand with her mouth (lightly, of course), lick my hand, then run off again :))
  • Gina BakerGina Baker CarrolltownPosts: 1,004Member
    edited 18 May, 2012
    I used to get knocked down and thoroughly slobbered up, but since Tohbi's gotten older (and had knee surgery), I usually just get pushed around. Then barked at and 'chewbacca' talked at for about three solid minutes. Apparantly, I need to be scolded for ditching him.
  • Mindy MalletteMindy Mallette Posts: 24,408Member
    edited 18 May, 2012
    I get swarmed....Savvy and Dubs usually lead the pack and Savvy will try to walk between my legs for a full body hug. I am just tall enough to straddle her, so I stand on my toes and pat her head as she passes through. Dubs - in the meantime - will climb on me and then dissolve into wiggles. Behind them Cookie will jump around whining and wiggling until I can get a hand free to pet her. And Samoa is more reserved...he sits back and wags and waits. He grins and his eyes shine. Sometimes he offers me a stuffed toy.
  • edited 18 May, 2012
    Dar is gated in my bedroom if I leave for a long time, like work. When i come home he is by the gate all wiggley trying so hard to sit. Then I open the gate and he zooms around the living room grabbing a Toy or chewy stick along the way. Once I sit down he proceeds to launch himself into my face for a quick lick and around the living room he goes again. After a couple times he calms down a little and wiggles in and out of my lap a couple times before he finally calms down enough to chew on a bully stick. Which he proceeds to do for at least a half hour :)
  • Emily CarringtonEmily Carrington Posts: 425Member
    edited 18 May, 2012
    Olive does what I can only describe as "the wiggle dance". She wags her tail and her head in opposite directions, mouth wide open, grinning -- it's the cutest thing, she can barely contain herself.
  • Mike JacobsenMike Jacobsen Posts: 53Member
    edited 19 May, 2012
    Our newly adopted, 2 year old, SP is the most friendly, well mannered dog, I've experienced. He's been with us about 2 weeks now. Greets us with a smile, wiggles, and, if allowed, a "hug." And then follows us to a chair and politely approaches for some "love." Sometimes, MUCH LOVE. In my daughter's words, "he is a snuggle bug." He likes to tuck his head under your arm, for example but always politely. If you say "no" or "laydown," he complies. Final words, I've never seen a dog do this and I was raised with many dogs, inside and outside ... when you are "talking" to him, particularly "face to face," he "smiles" and moves his jaw up and down as if he, too, is "talking." Does it pretty much every time when we have "serious discussions."
  • Lee WLee W Posts: 2,593Member
    edited 19 May, 2012
    I tell people my dogs are what I like to call violently affectionate:)) They know better then to assault me at the door. Sabi meets me and sits patiently quivering until I put my stuff away and take my coat off. As soon as I say ok she attacks, spinning around me and shoving her head against me. She moans like a bear and tries to push me down with her head. When she was younger she would spin in circles. Buddy does much the same while leaping around. Shadow grabs at my hands and hops on her back legs as well.