tired of chicken

L HL H Posts: 176Member
edited 22 April, 2013 in Raw Food Diet
Hello,its been a month and a half. Right now i am introducing turkey but i need bone content for the pup to easy his transition. I swear my other dog can eat anything without bone and she never get loose stools. Only at the beggining,so i think i can transition her with no bone,just the normal ratio. What really annoys me is that she begs for human food. But i dont blame her. Can i get chicken bones at the butcher? Or what other bones can i give him for the transition? And should i go ahead and feed my female only meat and no bone? Yesterday i gave him chicken breast and turkey with almost no bone and he had a very soft stool.

Comments

• Jenna HesselsJenna Hessels Posts: 35Member
    edited 20 April, 2013
    Bone content is a must.. 10% of diet. You could try getting whole turkey carcasses? When I switched my pup over I fasted her for a day and then fed anything I wanted.... loose stools for a few days and then she was fine. :)
  • Kathy YataKathy Yata Posts: 10,342Member
    edited 20 April, 2013
    If you only have boneless turkey then just use half bony chicken and half turkey. You could give a big turkey wing tip to them once a day and trade for something after they have wrestled off enough bone. I don't think a turkey neck would work as well as the bones are better covered by meat. You are going to get inconstant poop on raw. I fed daily bone for over a year and both of us are just fine with the softer darker red meat no bone poop now. I would feed daily bone until the usual meats and organs have all been introduced. If her poop is uncomfortably hard then feed her less bony bits along with the new meat. Thighs instead of wings or drumsticks. Small necks plus meat instead of backs. Some here have even cut bones in half so that drumstick only has half a bone. If I am lucky enough to get a small dog I would either find a source of chicken necks and give half of one a day or invest in a lot of cornish game hens, cut into bits and count on giving one a day for several months at least. Perhaps my future dog would need less bone sooner, perhaps not.
  • L HL H Posts: 176Member
    edited 21 April, 2013
    I can get chicken carcasses on the butcher, and will check on the chicken necks. also will get thigh,i had already got some and had cut them into separate pieces. But i want to know,if its normal if even with having bone and stuff he gets soft poop on new meats? My Chi,i will not stop giving bone in its entirely,but will feed her the normal ratio,just a small quantity of bone per week or how you just say,meats with less bone. For the up i will use the carcasses and necks. Another thing,how to conserve bones? is it ok to thaw and refreeze them on the fridge? i had a chicken wing on the freezer but let it uncovered,the meat became very red and bones black ::o
    edited 21 April, 2013
    It is normal to have soft poop with new meats that is why you offer just a bite the first day and increase bite by bite as the poop shows you the gut is adjusting to the new meat. As you increase the new meat you are taking away the old so the size of the meal stays the same! Not the bone, only the meat. This was the part of feeding raw I had the most trouble with. It might be easier to have the constant bone, perhaps a 2x2" bit of chicken ribs or piece of a chicken neck for one meal a day that would add about 30% bone to the diet daily and use boneless chicken now substituting a bite of the new meat daily. Not each meal, a day. If your little guy is getting about 4 ounces a day you might feed this way. Breakfast might be 1.25 ounces of chicken Lunch might be 1.25 ounces of chicken Dinner might be .5 ounces of chicken neck+.5 ounces of chicken+.25ounces of turkey the first day. Next day the same for breakfast and lunch and dinner would be .5 ounces of chicken neck+.4 ounces of chicken+.35 ounces of turkey. I wish I could open up the freezer and toss Max a joint of pork or such once a week but with small dogs you weigh carefully and feed small amounts. In time if you toe the line and don't rush and have to go back to bony skinned chicken because his gut got overwhelmed you likely will be feeding a meal of liver a meal of kidney once a week and a whole chicken neck every couple days but for the near future count on daily bone and changing the protein slowly.
    edited 21 April, 2013
    Another thing. How do know if your dog can't eat a bone? I mean when do you know you should take it away? Mines don't swallow or try to,the small chicken bones. But they can't chew on turkey ones(yet for the puppy maybe later he will) but how do i know he is eating it or can't? I hear crunching,but if i see he has been there too long then i take it away.
  • Stacy TaylorStacy Taylor Posts: 136Member
    edited 22 April, 2013
    Hank is four months old and can eat a chicken leg bone, thigh bone and wings just fine. I hear crunching too and he's just working it down. It can take him half an hour some days to completely eat the bone.
    edited 22 April, 2013
    Yesterday when i wrote that post he was chewing on one. He would have eaten it if haven't been so paranoic. So i will ket him chew. My other dog got turkey today and yesterday and is doing great. She ate all around the bone and marrow. That bone was hollow. They are both doing great on turkey now,today later on i will only feed turkey to him and see how it goes. If irs okay tomirrow i will introduce goat. Btw,are these good for prorein sources and to be rotated?: Chicken,turkey,goat,beef,quail,fish(canned sardines and salmon in water) whiting, and eggs. Can't give pig because it can gave Trichy here. And lamb is too expensive..waaay. too expensive. the other meats are based on the cost and that i can buy them cheap on supermarkets.
    edited 22 April, 2013
    Those are excellent proteins! I would feed goat over lamb anyway as it is leaner. Whiting? If it is a lean fish then it is protein but not much else. Not much in the way of omega 3s and as with all fish, low in minerals and vitamins. Use it but not as a major part of the diet.
    edited 22 April, 2013
    This is the link on ND about a whole raw whiting: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4155/2 Total Omega-3 fatty acids 254mg Total Omega-6 fatty acids 18.4mg That is the quantity of O3s. Is that ok?. Sardines and salmon in water. are those good choices?/ I can get the sardines with no salt,don't know on the salmon. Also I can get those on sale too,and Veal as well.
    edited 22 April, 2013
    I just found put that 159g of raw salmon has 107g of sodium. canned,Brwnswick has 63g per container and 220g of sodium,but that is apparently 7 containers that have that amount. and it also has 1 gram of omega 3