Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

raw becoming more popular?

Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
edited 10 May, 2013 in Raw Food Diet
Mentioned Treader's diet on another forum when asked and so far two people have responded saying they feed or have fed raw. ...I was expecting them to be kinda weirded out.:))

Comments

• Carissa MaleckiCarissa Malecki Posts: 7,383Member
    edited 8 May, 2013
    Yes definitely. Remember when there was no raw forum here and it was basically taboo to suggest or even mention raw in the F&N forum?
  • SayaSaya Posts: 3,981Member
    edited 8 May, 2013
    Was it a dog forum or normal type of forum? Today most forums I got to have raw or home made section or few people who feed the diet.. I've told some people I knew about it and luckily they don't seem to mind.. I know a breeder who buys hearts in bulk for the dogs. haha I've met their dogs and very happy and healthy.
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    edited 9 May, 2013
    The forum actually had nothing to do with dogs. I'm the only person who really talks about dogs on there. :))
  • kristen smithkristen smith Cold SpringPosts: 108Member
    edited 9 May, 2013
    The raw feeding group on Facebook went from 6,000 to over 10,000 in a little more than a year. I think the recent recalls scared people into looking for alternative feeding methods....Thank God!
  • Rebecca LandonRebecca Landon Posts: 5,368Member
    edited 9 May, 2013
    Which raw group on facebook? The one is RIDICULOUS! I left because if you suggest or even say that you do anything contrary to what they believe, they attack you and then the admin deletes all your posts. Someone had asked about a whole cow they had processed. She was told not to let her dog chew the leg bones, at all. I mentioned that I often purchase cow femurs for my dogs to strip. You'd have thought I suggested she feed her dog Ol' Roy with the way I was attacked! I was told to "read the files." I did. No citations or other references to back up what was posted, but it basically said wolves in the wild won't touch those bones. Ever. Yeah cuz the magic invisible human in the wild takes them away. Whatever. It was nuts. I'm a member of a couple other, more tolerant and open-minded raw feeding groups, but I love the interaction!
  • L HL H Posts: 176Member
    edited 9 May, 2013
    Can you suggest some groups? I am on the Raw feeding PH on facebook and Raw Tips. They are very nice,i joined the yahoo one and the first post i made,asking about stuff and how i started,the post never came out,it never got approved. That made me furious and do i moved on.
  • SayaSaya Posts: 3,981Member
    edited 9 May, 2013
    Raw Feeding (RF) is one bam bam talking about I think.. Group I'm on complaining about how ridiculous that group is. Look at the rules they don't allow people who feed pre made raw, supplements, veggies, fruits, grains. God forbid you give your dog caned sardines! ::o I know there is people who are not into veggies, fruits or grains, but this rule sounds bit much.. God forbid your dog has joint issues and need joint supplements or fish oil.. Some supplementation might be needed. I mainly follow prey model raw, but sometimes give a treat that has veggies and fruit. My home made treats has fruits and veggies help stretch the treats longer and the fruits and veggies are from my garden. This is some of the rules.. "This group is an associated group from the very large raw feeding group on yahoo groups. This is for feeding a carnivore. This means, we do not promote the feeding of commercial dog food, pre-made raw food, supplements, veggies, fruits, or grains. If you want to feed that stuff, please join another group. Please note: those attempting to hijack the list with their own agendas will be immediately removed. This list is for feeding a carnivore. It is for that and only that. No exceptions." I mean come one not everyone is comfortable with feeding whole raw yet so they feed pre made raw or half pre made and half raw or whatever.. I have honest kitchen zeal on hand in case of power outage Saya does fine on it and nice in case need to travel on road a lot or camp etc. Makes quick small meal if in hurry then pm a bit of raw or caned fish. I enjoy this raw forum, but the FB raw groups I'm on is Raw Feeding Lifestyle (RFL), Feeding raw, and Raw Pet.. These three seem good and bit more casual. Raw pet even has even part time raw feeders can join. Which is nice not everyone can afford to have big freezer to feed full raw so to me part raw is great... I've been kinda out of action from FB groups so not sure if those group are still good, but from what I see they're still nice. Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I heard it's bit elitist they delete things if they don't agree with it.
    edited 9 May, 2013
    They do, Saya. My post saying I let my dogs strip cow femurs got deleted. And their response to everything is "read the files" but none of it has anything to back it up. And yes, they are very anti-grinds because your dog should chew. But not legs. Cuz in the wild they wouldn't touch the legs. If I wasn't a raw feeder, they would have completely turned me off the idea of raw.
    edited 9 May, 2013
    Another Good fbook group is Raw Feeding FRIENDS
  • Natasha ANatasha A Southern BCPosts: 2,456Member
    edited 10 May, 2013
    Yep, Raw Feeding FRIENDS is a good one, as is Raw Pet, and for the more prey-model minded folks, Crispy's Crew started up recently and is pretty decent.
  • Tammy giffordTammy gifford anchoragePosts: 1,079Member
    edited 10 May, 2013
    I run a RAW group on facebook for Alaskans. It's pretty quite but a great place to share tips on where to find cheap meats.
  • Gabi RowleyGabi Rowley Posts: 4Member
    edited 10 May, 2013
    While the (RF) group on FB is very one-sided, they are a great source for information. I like their group, but I like feeding whole foods.
  • kristen smithkristen smith Cold SpringPosts: 108Member
    edited 10 May, 2013
    Yep, that is the group I was talking about on Facebook. The admin is constantly telling people to "read the files". They are a tough group and I rarely post there - mostly lurk to see if I can learn something new. I will have to check out the Raw Feeding Friends group. But either way, I'm just thrilled that more and more people are going the way of raw - whether it be prey model, barf, or any other modified version. Anything is better than kibble.