Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

Do you always keep watch?

L HL H Posts: 176Member
edited 15 May, 2013 in Raw Food Diet
I sometimes find boring or can't always stay with them while they eat,if they stay alone is for very short periods of time and i go back to sit with them I am lucky,they don't fight as each one concentrates on its food,if one ends before the other they just go to me,lay diwn or walk away :) So how do you guys do? I always bring my celphone to pass time,or a book.

Comments

• OnyxOnyx Posts: 3,322Member
    edited 12 May, 2013
    I often don't watch, especially when it's a whole prey gorge meal that takes over 30 minutes. I would never leave two dogs eating alone together though, even if they'd always been fine.
  • Christine VChristine V New EnglandPosts: 7,242Member
    edited 12 May, 2013
    I'm usually within earshot, if not in the room. I don't just sit and stare ate them, I use the time to check e-mail or read or something. But I know my dogs are thorough chewers who tend to take their time, so I don't worry too much. Especially if I'm feeding something really easy to eat. I did it last night with Bravo turkey blend and a chunk of a beef roast. No biggie, but I wouldn't have done it if she had a complicated meal or something she'd never eaten before. I wouldn't leave two dogs eating together unattended either. I generally don't even feed dogs together unless I know they could approach eachother and not fight - ignoring eachother is not the same! Fighting aside, though, I want to be sure each dog finished all of their meal, because it's vital to control portions as well as balance in the raw diet. If I could have left my 3 to their own devices, Vance would have eaten mostly meaty meat, Ember mostly bones, and Fox a lot of organs and veggies.
  • L HL H Posts: 176Member
    edited 12 May, 2013
    Mines used to be a little skittish when i started and he was just a wee pup*only four months now but so intelligent* now thry keep distance and respect eachother's space. My chihuahua just wanders off to me or to another room,same with terry,sometimes out of nowhere he runs up to her and barks like"its mine" or she growls a warning and thats it. I don't correct because those are natural behaviors. If they are eating peacefully and i know they will take time chewing i go and feed the other animals or do other quick stuffs. But they are never unnatended for one,for two they are too comfy eating around me that separating them is not that good of an option :p Sometimes thry do eat wothout one of them and me around which is great xD.
  • Tammy giffordTammy gifford anchoragePosts: 1,079Member
    edited 13 May, 2013
    We used to when we first started but Crash has been RAW fed for 4+ years. I don't watch him anymore
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    edited 13 May, 2013
    I used to watch. Now I just make sure to be nearby, and if I need to get up to use the bathroom or something I make sure to keep an ear out.
    edited 13 May, 2013
    If you are leaving them alone for any length of time, they are by definition unattended. There is a lot of room for error there, especially in your case because your dogs are immature. Their size, eating habits, and behavior in general will still change, often dramatically, over the next year and a half or so. Guarding behavior may be normal, but that doesn't make it safe. It's also very normal for guarding behavior to lead to an actual fight.
  • kristen smithkristen smith Cold SpringPosts: 108Member
    edited 13 May, 2013
    I don't necessarily stare at them while they eat, but I am in the same room (kitchen) with them. My computer desk is there so I'll be on it reading the news or something, but I never leave them. They only get something big and complicated if I'm going to be in the kitchen for awhile.
    edited 13 May, 2013
    I try not to leave them either,at least not much,i did today and one of them wanted to follow me so the other decided to sneak a little from the other dog. She just returned to her piece and continued chewing happily while Terry enjoyed the stolen good xD But i don't stare at them...thats like being a creep i just stay at my celphone
    edited 13 May, 2013
    And that's part of what I'm saying. Your dogs have now had an unbalanced meal today. Terry over-ate and your other did not get enough food. No big deal for just one meal, but if that's happening all the time, they'll come up with deficiencies and weight problems.
    edited 13 May, 2013
    Oh my. No. That only happens like...once a month and it is usually my error to leave them alone. And if Terry over eats i just give him a tiny snack for dinner or nothing*he eats twice* if P.J has had little i just give her more or feed or give her dinner*she eats once a day with some snack at night* both are given one full meal in the morning and a snack-sized dinner at night. I try to keep balanced meals for them so they don't over or stay hungryt.
  • Stacy TaylorStacy Taylor Posts: 136Member
    edited 14 May, 2013
    I watched my sister puggle last week who's on kibble and was worried she might want Hanks raw meat but she was fine. I fed them both at opposite ends of the kitchen and just kept an eye as I was cleaning, making meals etc.....
    edited 14 May, 2013
    some dogs don't even know that raw meat is food XD I have a plastic shower curtain cut in half and i use that to feed them inside when i can't be checking on them out,or can't actually feed them out.
  • Kathy YataKathy Yata Posts: 10,342Member
    edited 15 May, 2013
    Max won't eat if I am not settled down in the area. He has had a couple of redos in the 5.5 years he has been eating raw and I would rather be there if he has another, they can be scary. I had to take away bones he tried to eat when he should have been pulling the soft stuff off a couple times as well. When there were 3 dogs here I separated them at chewy and meal times. I fed the dogs well away from each other when they were on 10 seconds kibble meals even.
  • Tess TessTess Tess Posts: 161Member
    edited 15 May, 2013
    Yes. It only takes them like 3 minutes. They get meat chunks and chicken leg which takes them a few chomps and swallows. I give them big bones - like Pork Shoulder bones and such - as chew toys and no, I don't watch while they wrestle with it. I just come back later and pick up what they didn't eat.