Is this truth or another fat lie from companies?

L HL H Posts: 176Member
edited 1 June, 2013 in Raw Food Diet
My chihuahua,p.j just turned 2 years old this month and i started thinking,if she was eating kibble,this is the period in which I would switch her to adult food....yet on raw nothing changes. Truth,all dogs need high protein and puppies need 10% of they're body weigh(I assume this is only on raw?) But when they become adults they will need less food but continue to need the same nutrients and high protein levels,yet on comercial food the older the animal,the less protein it needs,which is in fact a lie as old animals tend to need food high in protein and easy to digest. Scary thing is that puppy food,protein wise is the best,but it also contains high calcium and others that can...or maybe thats another myth,be harmful to adults. So,are commercial food compsnies just liying about each life stage needing this or that? Or just another lie to sell moer?. Of course old dogs need more stuff for the joints and sometimes digestive aids but on raw this can be targeted with only the food. Puppies need a lot of protein and food intake which is present too on a natural diet. What do you say about this? I wouls love to know more on the topic.

Comments

• Christine VChristine V New EnglandPosts: 7,242Member
    edited 13 May, 2013
    The idea that a dog needs a specific life stage food (or breed specific food, or coat, energy level, size, etc, etc specific food) is a marketing gimmick. When it comes to life stages specifically, labeling has to do with what feeding trials the company has put the food through (and passed). If it's only put through feeding trials for puppies, it can only be labeled as puppy food. Only an adult trial, it can only be labeled for adults. If it's put through puppy, adult and senior feeding trials, it can be labeled all life stages. The rest of the specifics (size, etc) are just gimmicks with no official qualifiers.
  • L HL H Posts: 176Member
    edited 13 May, 2013
    So in other words. Its a scam. I know the breed specific stuff is pure bull. But life stages makes no sense at all since on a natural diet they just eat the same stuff all the time. So they do food trials and that is how they decided its good for that life stage? Thats all?.... I would love to know more about those things,i do have a website in spanish to promote healthy eating and am always on the lookout for info and to learn more for my two pups. Commercial food companies are full of lies,kibble keeps teeth clean,its complete,etc. There are so much things.
  • Tess TessTess Tess Posts: 161Member
    edited 15 May, 2013
    No, it is not a scam. And I'm a raw-feeder. There is a difference between Puppy Food and Adult Food and it is not the "protein percentage" (well, I can't speak for the Orijen-type foods out there). The main difference is the calories per serving. The main source of calories of quality dog food is the Protein source, therefore, increasing/decreasing calories involves increasing/decreasing protein content (not percentage). But because you need a certain amount of carbs to keep that kibble mold (breading), the protein percentage may be affected. Puppies and pregnant **** require a higher caloric intake than other dogs. In kibble, simply feeding more food may not be the answer to increasing calories (although, it can be) because then the dog is also taking in more carbs with the protein. So, that's why, special puppy formula are made so that there is more calories per serving but there is not more carbs per serving (which causes the protein percentage to be higher compared to other formula). Other specific puppy requirements - like the calcium/phosphorous balance for proper balanced growth, etc. are also factors in the design of Puppy food. In raw feeding - the way we increase caloric intake is just to give the dog more food. This increases the protein intake without having to worry about carbs. The responsibility of proper balance of minerals in growing puppies is left to the person feeding the pup. For example, if you have a giant dog, you need to pay very close attention to how much bone-to-calories you are giving the dog to prevent growth imbalance.
  • Tess TessTess Tess Posts: 161Member
    edited 16 May, 2013
    I just re-read the post above and I can't edit it anymore... Major Correction: Instead of: (I can't speak for the Orijen-type foods out there) I meant: (I'm only speaking about the Orijen-type foods out there) Meaning - I am only talking about High Quality Dog Food and not the crappy dog food usually found in the grocery aisles.
  • Melinda McCallMelinda McCall Posts: 310Member
    edited 16 May, 2013
    As stated before, there is a difference usually, calories, fat, protein, and often calcium / phosphorus ratios. The reason why they have these foods is because for most people they do not wantto have to think about it and just replace with an adult food thats less calories etc when the dog gets older.. as the metabolism slows down, less of these are required, so for some people its easier just to get a different food, rather than take the time to figure out exactly how much to feed and monitor weight on the same food once a dog reaches maturity. Its not 100% needed, especially if you know what you're doing. but, I think most people dont :)
  • L HL H Posts: 176Member
    edited 16 May, 2013
    So,its not a total scam after all :D. Only the breed specific food is. and the things about complete,blahblahblah. Off-topic PD: Addie..What did you use to take that picture? ITS SO GORGEOUS and in motion!!
  • Christine VChristine V New EnglandPosts: 7,242Member
    edited 16 May, 2013
    I'm not saying that puppies don't need have greater caloric need and more specific calcium ratios. I'm saying there is no AAFCO requirement that a "puppy food" fill those needs. Life-stage labeling is based solely off the feeding trials the food has passed.
  • Rebecca LandonRebecca Landon Posts: 5,368Member
    edited 17 May, 2013
    Not a scam. Kibble fed dogs eat the same thing every day--it HAS to be balanced a certain way to prevent excesses or deficiencies. The variety of raw virtually eliminates this worry.
  • Kristen GuthrieKristen Guthrie FremontPosts: 21Member
    edited 1 June, 2013
    In the case of dry kibbled diets there are particular breeds, ages, and conditions that warrant "life stage" or "custom" formulas. One example is giant breed puppies. These dogs need a more slow growth formula to ensure that the bones form appropriately over a period of time to prevent weak or diseased bones. It also prevents future conditions like hip displaysia. Raw food does have some of these issues in very particular situations, such as a pet needing a low fat diet when suffering or having had suffered from pancreatitis. So the point is to do your research and choose the best choice for you and your pet. Always invest in the nutrition for your pet, it will be paid back to you in fewer vet bills and a much happier companion!