5 year old blues?

Jennifer C-Jennifer C- Posts: 2Member
edited 14 July, 2013 in Australian Kelpie
I have had my Kelpie since 8 months and he has been quite the mischievous baby. Full, and I mean FULL, of energy and loyalty? I can't leave the room without him already missing me. He is five years old now and I've noticed that within the last few weeks, he's been acting like an old dog. He has white whiskers already underneath his chin and I teased him about getting to be an old boy but its become quite noticeable the last few weeks. He sleeps a lot and instead of coming up to me when I was working to see what I was up to, he now just lays in the room with a tired look and watches. He loves to be outside but last night I brought him out to sit with me on the front porch and he didn't even lay down. Just stood and stared and then nudged the door to go back in. I'm thinking it could be the hot temps. we've been having. 90 degrees and up. Perhaps that is the reason for his sluggishness? Any thoughts and comments on this are greatly appreciated....

Comments

• Leah StratesLeah Strates Posts: 2,684Member
    edited 14 July, 2013
    My kelpie is six and the same - white whiskers and quite lazy. He likes to sleep all day and while he still loves his walks he isn't as active as he used to be. I think this is quite common with the breed as working dogs are often retired around this age. If the change has been sudden though I'd recommend a vet check just to be sure.