long lasting & safe chews?

L HL H Posts: 176Member
edited 9 January, 2014 in Raw Food Diet
Apart from raw bones what can i give as entretainment for crate time?. In my list so far i have: kongs. Elk antlers and any product from busy buddies,or Buster cubes. I want stuff that last but are also safe. My dogs are not power chewers but i do want enticing things to entertain them. One is a 4lb chihuahua and a yorkie,10 lb. The chi is very small and two years old,the York is only 11 months old.

Comments

• Obi BarbarisiObi Barbarisi Posts: 553Member
    edited 30 December, 2013
    I would go with bully sticks (braided ones last longer with us), ears, noses, tracheas..(he likes treats in his with pb sealing up each end). I would really double think the busy bones with all the icky stuff they put in them (colors, BHT, BHA, ETC)
  • Obi BarbarisiObi Barbarisi Posts: 553Member
    edited 30 December, 2013
    Oops I read it wrong! Disregard what I said about busy bones. Oh! What about Himalayan chews?~d..
  • Christine VChristine V New EnglandPosts: 7,242Member
    edited 30 December, 2013
    Second bully sticks. I know some small dogs balk at them at first, but if your guys are used to elk antlers they should be ok. If not, you can soften an end in warm water, so it isn't as daunting to dig in. Beef cheek rolls are the new big thing. http://www.nutra-9.com/Bones-Chews-and-Bullysticks/Bully-Sticks-and-buffalo-Beef-Chews/6-Vanilla-cheeky-Rolls.html We can't keep them in stock. Neither can anyone else - Next shipment is due sometime early next year. Then you've got trachea and ears and all that jazz... Since your dogs are small, they may last a while. Larger dogs will crunch them up pretty quickly.
  • L HL H Posts: 176Member
    edited 30 December, 2013
    I am looking for things i can get off line and at stores,bully sticks are one of the things i can get at stores. What about nylabones durachews?. From what i have heard it is certainly a very bad option for kibbke fed dogs and a no no to raw fed ones.
    edited 30 December, 2013
    Trachea are available in most stores. I find independent retailers almost always have superior chews for little if any more cost than the big-box stores like Petco. As are beef cheeks, although you will only find them at independent retailers. I would skip Nylabones. No bearing on diet, although I can see how a dog used to crunching up and consuming bones may be more apt to crunch up and consume a chew in an unsafe way... I just don't like the ingredients of the edible variety, and the nylon bones aren't very popular with most dogs. I mean, it's a hunk of nylon. Who wants to gnaw on that? Occasionally I get a dog who's really in to plastic that likes them, but they're the exception, not the rule.
    edited 30 December, 2013
    I will be visiting NY and Newark next month,we will be staying in Wayne. How do i find retailers stores in those areas? In new york it will be only things close to time square so i will not really search a lot. Everything i plan to get will be durable so that i can get a replacement yearly when i travel.
    edited 30 December, 2013
    Btw. I was thinking of once they get the filling out of bones like these*the ones i sometimes feed for entretainment* I could just re-fill them with anything i want and keep it frozen when not in use. Would this be ok?. My dogs don't chew on them when they know they cannot eat them and just take out the marrow. So i think it would be ok. http://www.dadyma.com/archivos/204dee06d9d97fb.jpg http://carnesgonzalezshop.com/156-large_default/ternera-roja-hueso-blanco.jpg
  • Kathy YataKathy Yata Posts: 10,342Member
    edited 30 December, 2013
    Those bones are very hard on teeth and the sharp edges could be hard on gums, I am not a fan but yes you can refill them over and over again. You wrote that your dogs are fine with them, just writing that for other readers. Thin cut ones get around lower jaws which cannot be a good thing at all. I like using a wide variety of kong type stuffy chews. They last nearly forever and are easy on teeth. I have read of a diabolic way of using those holy roller balls, find a really large biscuit and insert, hard for dogs to figure out how to smash the ball to get to the biscuit. I have done that with kongs too. The dogs figure it out but they sure have fun learning how to do so.
    edited 31 December, 2013
    Treats will be purchased online because i am not counting on finding any natural ones xD. While i make my own out of fridge dried meats. These are the brands i can find here: Loving Pets. Taste Of The Wild. Smokehouse. Dogswell vitallity. Natural Balance. *LIT treats* Red Barn. Natural Balance-Healthy bones.
    edited 31 December, 2013
    You're not going to find much that will safely last a full year. Deer antlers are about it, unless you want to assume the risks of marrow bones. I suppose certain Nylabones might too. I honestly wouldn't want a chew that lasted more than a week or two. That's an invitation to bacterial growth. I regularly wash my treat-dispensing toys for that reason. As far as finding retailers, if you go to the website of the brand you're looking at, most will have a button to "find retailers" or "find near you" that allows you to search by zip code. Of your brands: Dogswell vitallity. Natural Balance. *LIT treats* Red Barn. Natural Balance-Healthy bones. Not really reputable companies or quality ingredients. I won't -not- feed Natural Balance if I get it free, but I would never pay for it. Red Barn I'd have to look in to. I'm not fond of their treat rolls at all since they're just loaded with sodium, but I'm not familiar with all their products. You could not pay me to give my dogs anything from Dogswell.
    edited 31 December, 2013
    Soo. i will go with elk antlers and kongs. some refilled bones once in a while. The same day i do laundry i will wash their toys too. I also don't like none of those companies,they are just loaded with carbs like potatoes and yams,sugar,salt,etc. i would better buy online,the brand i will get treats from Nature's variety,the freeze dried ones. in the meantime i will make my own by fridge drying them,i already did so once but the rack's holes are too big i need to buy another one.
  • Jeannine PipeJeannine Pipe Mt LaurelPosts: 47,284Member
    edited 8 January, 2014
    We get bully sticks from Bestbullysticks.com All USA product, and no additives, they also have many other chew items. Be careful of bully sticks from stores, some are from China.
  • chandan singhchandan singh Posts: 14Member
    edited 9 January, 2014
    you should use a Dog Squeaker Toy. Squeaky toys are very usual among dogs attributable to several reasons however the foremost crucial and necessary reason is that the concept of capturing and tearing down a rubberized prey in conjunction with a squeak has an avid attractiveness of all its own to most of the dogs. the character of the squeak additionally provides a bearing.
  • Nestle ArcherNestle Archer Posts: 155Member
    edited 9 January, 2014
    Harley is teething and we soak her rope toys in water and then throw them in the freezer for a couple hours before bed time. They freeze up and turn into nice teething rings / chew toys. Not sure if that's an option or if t just works with Harley since she's still a puppy.