Extremely energetic Australian shepherd puppy

Renee WeiRenee Wei Posts: 3Member
edited 8 March, 2014 in Australian Shepherd
I have a 3 month old Australian Shepherd pup Harley. I know Aussies are famous for being an active breed, but he still surprised me with how much energy he has! We recently started taking him to a closed park nearby and the two of us makes him dash in loops, up and down a small hill. He can do 20 loops in full speed (for about 15 minutes), and then play with other dogs for at least half an hour. And he goes home and still runs around the house and never gets tired! Is this normal for a 3-month puppy? Are we over-excersizing him? When are they going to grow out of this phase? It's very cute but it's tough to handle! Thanks so much in advance! Renee

Comments

• Jess DavisJess Davis Posts: 833Member
    edited 8 March, 2014
    It sounds like a lot, but it may be appropriate. If you want to tone it down a bit you can work on teaching him to settle indoors and saving the hijinks for outdoors. Remember that dogs will learn to expect as much exercise as you provide for them, so without a bit of structure you'll get a pup who requires hours of walking a day. I found the 1 year milestone marked a bit of a shift in my (very energetic) Aussie's activity level. It was further improved around 2 years, then 3. You've got a ways to go yet!