Can a dog be trained to walk with manners in a collar and pull in a harness?

Keyla HigginsKeyla Higgins Posts: 4Member
edited 13 November, 2014 in Sports & Agility
I have a 10wk old puppy and I know he is far to young to be pulling more than a teddy bear but, I would like to train home to eventually bikejor. I was wondering if I could train him to walk respectfully when the leash is clipped the collar and pull when clipped to the harness or is there some other basic thing to train for? I live in east tn so it's hard to find people who know this stuff. I am not sure if there are any groups around here.

Comments

• Desiree RamirezDesiree Ramirez Posts: 42Member
    edited 8 November, 2014
    Absolutely! A lot of working dogs know when they are going to "work" when their working harness/vest goes on. Beo knows that when I bring out his harness we are going on an adventure and that different leashes mean different things. Repetition, the right equipment, and rewarding them for the behavior you want in each circumstance are the key things. You could also start training with different commands. I know someone who skijores and they trained their dog to respond to mushing commands for exclusively that.
  • Meredith MapesMeredith Mapes PalmerPosts: 1,351Member
    edited 13 November, 2014
    Definitely! My sled dogs are trained to pull in a harness, but to walk nicely on a leash. I make sure they're only pulling in harness though, I never put a harness on them and expect them not to pull. And several of them know that when the leashes come out they get to go for a walk, but they're not allowed to pull when we're just walking somewhere.