Belgian Tervueren in large apartment

Jason YuJason Yu Manhattan NYPosts: 9Member
edited 26 May, 2015 in Choosing the Right Dog
Its been 2 months since I had to put down my husky and I'm looking to get a dog around summer or fall. I had my heart set on a German Shepherd but anyone who rents in the city knows the dreaded "Aggressive Breed" list. A Belgian Tervueren is on no ones list and I've always liked the way they looked but have only had 1 encounter with them. I wanted to ask if anyone out there has a Belgian Tervueren in a apt and if you do how is it. I have a handful of friends with German Shepherds that do well in their apartments. A little info about myself, I work from home, am gone for no more than 3-4 hours a day, if going to my main clients office the dog comes too. Mainly looking for variations in personality from a GSD. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Alexa TravisAlexa Travis Birmingham, ALPosts: 4,692Member
    edited 26 May, 2015
    The average Terv is going to rank a lot like the "average" GSD in terms of apartment suitability- that is, they'll do fine so long as you give them the attention they need. Your bigger problem with them will be to not let your work-at-home schedule lead to separation anxiety/barking issues. I'd put Tervs in the "more sensitive" category compared to most GSDs in this regard, and SA issues are something that can be a real pain in an apartment setting and should actively work on being avoided. Other than that? If a Terv is otherwise the right dog for you (is it?), then you should be fine.
  • Jason YuJason Yu Manhattan NYPosts: 9Member
    edited 26 May, 2015
    Thanks Mulder that seems to be what I'm getting from the interweb. I plan on visiting and speaking with breeder a few times to make sure. While doing some google research it seems like the Tervueren is in a similar category as the Belgian Malnois just a long haired variation. If thats the case, i do not want to live in a apartment with a Mal that doesn't have a job.
  • Alexa TravisAlexa Travis Birmingham, ALPosts: 4,692Member
    edited 26 May, 2015
    To be fair, Mals and Tervs are generally pretty different. Depends of course, there will be some overlap, but most Malinois are much higher drive, higher impact dogs. Modern Tervs have largely been bred for show and companionship, I think you will find they have a much better in-home demeanor than most Malinois.