Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

which dog should I get?

finanto kertofinanto kerto Posts: 5Member
edited 7 June, 2015 in Choosing the Right Dog
I am looking for a dog that is small to medium size, can be taken on mile long walks, does not smell too bad when wet, does not drool, is highly trainable, is safe around infants, does not tear up the house, does not wander but stays put, does not run off suddenly at the sight of another dog or cat, does not bark much or can be trained not to, does not poop or eat (okay, I can compromise in the last 2). Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• louise nichollouise nichol Posts: 74,667Member
    edited 1 June, 2015
    Most of those 'wants' you list are training issues. Dogs do not come 'ready made' and a lot of hard work has to go into the training before you get a dog that ignores other dogs/people, doesn't chew, has good recall etc. If you want some ground work already in place I'd suggest looking for an adult rescue dog.
  • Eloise SenyanEloise Senyan Mount OlivePosts: 43,425Member ✭✭
    edited 1 June, 2015
    I would suggest a stuffed toy dog or a pet rock. =;
  • Evelyn CummingsEvelyn Cummings Posts: 11,879Member
    edited 2 June, 2015
    Have you ever had a dog before???? WHY do you want a dog?? I agree with the previous two posters... the issues you state are nearly ALL training issues and don't just suddenly appear in a dog, it takes months and months of serious training for these results.
  • finanto kertofinanto kerto Posts: 5Member
    edited 2 June, 2015
    Thank you for your replies. I doubt these criteria have anything to do with training: medium size, can be taken on mile long walks, does not smell too bad when wet, does not drool, does not wander I realize that I will have to have it trained to get the other results. This is my first dog but I am in my 50ies and very responsible. thanks again
  • Nicole KoleszarNicole Koleszar Posts: 2,761Member
    edited 2 June, 2015
    A dog that does not smell too bad when wet, does not drool, does not wander does not exist. All dogs drool, some just do it more than others. The only way to prevent a dog from wandering is proper containment, supervision, and training. How much a dog smells can be helped with proper diet and grooming but sometimes dogs just stink, especially when wet.
    edited 2 June, 2015
    Sorry guest, but both wandering away and chasing after other dogs or animals ARE training issues as well. Furthermore, training is something YOU need to do, if you send the dog off for training it will be wonderful at responding to the person who trained it but will also be wonderful at ignoring you and not responding to you UNLESS you actively participate in the training. I have taught obedience classes for the past 45 years and I do NOT train your dog...I teach you to train your dog and the results are dependent upon how much time and effort YOU put into the training. Nearly ALL successful training classes are run this way. As I previously mentioned, if I train your dog it WILL listen to me and obey me but will not work for you unless YOU do the training. Dog ownership requires as much work and attention to training as it does to selecting the right breed candidate. NO dog is born trained and if you believe you can make a list and find the perfect dog you will be sorely disappointed. I suggest you begin by studying different breeds which appeal to you and making a list of those with the qualities you want (the pros) as well as those traits the breed has which are not going to work for your situation (the cons). Don't just rely on one or even two sources to make your selections...ALL breeds have pros and cons, you need to narrow them down to cons you can live with and work with.
  • DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    edited 2 June, 2015
    I don't mean to be rude, but everything you describe you don't want is everything a dog is. Have you thought about getting a cat?
    edited 2 June, 2015
    I cannot believe how unbelievably unhelpful this group is. It is almost like everyone is offended that I want to select by desirable traits before selecting an animal. So you say that some dogs drool more than others but then fail to tell me which ones those are. What would been helpful is to get your advice but ALSO to tell me which breeds most likely fit my preferences. Not sure what is going on but I guess I will have to go elsewhere to get the advice I am looking for. Thanks
  • Charity YoungCharity Young RollaPosts: 1,059Member
    edited 3 June, 2015
    Guest, I would recommend an adult Golden Retriever. :) ETA: Ah, but they are on the larger size. Now I can't think of any because I'm more of a big-dog person...hum. Actually, a poodle may be a good fit. And you could consider a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel, they are cool dogs. Other breeds to check out, maybe the French Bulldog and the Pekingese. Good luck in your search. Hope you come back to see this post, and sorry about the response you've already gotten. Once upon the time we could get into some good discussions on dog breeds here. Of course all dogs don't come ready make, and regardless of the breed you choose it will need to be trained. I think we all know that already. Good luck again. =; ETA: I just gotta say, it's been a while since I've been on Dogster, and I am disappointed with the responses on here. Pretty sure most of us know that specific breeds are bred for specific reasons, and that's why people usually want specific breeds, not just any dog off the street. Yes, they still need to be trained, but certain breeds are more prone to certain behaviors, and it used to be cool to get into discussions here about which type of breed would be a better match for people. Just saying. Rant over.:f
    edited 4 June, 2015
    Twister... Working in a shelter environment I have had to rescue far, far too many dogs whose owners started out with the rigid requirements such as the OP has listed and the belief that a dog can fit a list of dos and don'ts or be trained to do so. Dogs are living, breathing creatures and do not all fit in the same mold, even those within each breed will vary off the norm. Believing that someone can train your dog to fit such specific requirements will only result in unhappiness and dissatisfaction for both the dog and the owner. Training is a daily part of dog ownership and a perfect example would be a toy or mini poodle whose owner does not work on barking control on a daily basis...the barking will quickly be totally out of control and the dog impossible to live with. As per your suggestion of a Frenchie or a Pekingese neither would survive doing daily mile walks...with their breathing issues they would collapse the first time the temperature rose above sixty, or was below freezing. And, you have obviously never dealt with Frenchie drool? It is thick and foamy and sticks to everything it comes in contact with, including human skin and clothing. This is why it was suggested the OP do some research and come up with a list they may be interested in...then we could offer better responses re their requirements pertaining to that particular breed. There is no way any one of us can offer a list of all the medium sized dogs that don't drool, bark, run away, bite children, smell, etc.
    edited 4 June, 2015
    Erm, wandering is a training issue. No dog, or very few anyway, are going to naturally stay by your side and/or in your yard/home without consistent and on-going training. Same with running after other dogs, believe me, that is hard work and again, takes on=-going and consistent training. You will not just have a 'ready made' dog that will meet all your criteria. I'm not suggesting you're not up to training your dog in any capacity, but just pointing out that a dog doesn't come with those traits.
  • Moss GrossMoss Gross Posts: 6Member
    edited 5 June, 2015
    What does this look like when I post? %:D%
  • Maliya DreverMaliya Drever Posts: 12Member
    edited 5 June, 2015
    I bought Dr.Goodpet drops for itchiness, it seems to be doing the trick! Thanks for the other suggestion though, I'll definitely remember that in case I need something different.
    edited 6 June, 2015
    I cannot believe how unbelievably unhelpful this group is. It is almost like everyone is offended that I want to select by desirable traits before selecting an animal. So you say that some dogs drool more than others but then fail to tell me which ones those are. What would been helpful is to get your advice but ALSO to tell me which breeds most likely fit my preferences. Not sure what is going on but I guess I will have to go elsewhere to get the advice I am looking for. Thanks
    edited 6 June, 2015
    finally a useful response. thank you
  • Charity YoungCharity Young RollaPosts: 1,059Member
    edited 6 June, 2015
    Toto, seriously, this is why discussion is important instead of just dismissing someone! No, I've never had a Frenchie, I suggested them because they seem like they would make a great small pet, and I just suggested a few off the top of me head so the OP could have a least a FEW breeds to look into. I didn't expect that all would meet every requirement. I don't think there is anything wrong with having certain requirements, so long as you are willing to compromise them if you find a dog that may meet some but not all (such as the long walks). Seriously, that's what this group USED to do, with different dog owners weighing in on their own experiences to help others make the right choice, not just attacking them for having preferences. Ya'll didn't simply tell the guest to look up a few breeds and then ya'll would make suggestions. You mocked him (re "get a pet rock"). And most of ya'll when you try to "educate" the OP on "realistic dog-ownership" just come across as really rude and snobby. I agree with the guest. I'm disappointed with the attitude that permeates dogster now, and I won't be back anymore. You think the guest is too strict with preferences? Well, no one can live up to the requirements expected of dog owners on this site. ETA: Every breed doesn't need to be suggested. Just a few. But noone would even suggest ONE. Certain things the OP didn't want (like high prey drive) could rule out entire groups like hounds and terriers. That can help someone narrow their search.
  • Alexa TravisAlexa Travis Birmingham, ALPosts: 4,692Member
    edited 6 June, 2015
    OP also made a tacky joke that they wanted a dog so impossibly perfect that it doesn't eat or crap. It offers a bad rub. Honestly OP sounds like they want a no-input dog, which frankly doesn't exits in ANY breed. Not sure what they wanted to hear based on that.
    edited 7 June, 2015
    Twister said, " Ya'll didn't simply tell the guest to look up a few breeds and then ya'll would make suggestions." Please refer to my responses... after clarifying that the OP really DID know that dogs aren't born trained and that sending a dog out for training isn't going to work, I suggested they make a list of breeds they were interested in, both pros and cons, then come back for our input, not only once but in several posts. Along with the others, I got the distinct impression the OP believes a dog can be made to order, much like a piece of furniture, and it doesn't work that way, as we were trying to point out!!! NO dog is born perfect and with their list of requirements it seems unlikely that any breed we can suggest will be a match, and then it will be OUR fault for suggesting that breed when it doesn't work perfectly. Ultimately, the dog will be the one that ends up suffering when it doesn't live up to their rigid expectations.
    edited 7 June, 2015
    I also did make a suggestion that the OP look for an adult rescue. They shouldn't look at puppies IMO, until they understand that half their requirements are training issues. With an adult rescue they may be more successful in finding a dog with at least some basic training in place. And to be honest, stating this is how the forum/advise is now is not exactly true as this is the liveliest a thread has got in MONTHS.