Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

NorCalPups

PawPawrazziPawPawrazzi San FranciscoPosts: 7,342Member ✭✭
edited 14 July, 2015 in Choosing the Right Dog
Your thoughts Dogsters? Reputable, ethical? http://www.norcalpups.com

Comments

• Nicole KoleszarNicole Koleszar Posts: 2,761Member
    edited 16 June, 2015
    No information on health testing, the puppies' parents, or the breeders. Pass!
  • Heathyr GillHeathyr Gill Posts: 915Member
    edited 16 June, 2015
    I find it weird that a 'moderator'... especially the one who posted would have to ask this question. I'm not trying to be rude, but this person has always come off as extremely well educated in the doggy world. As for this site...nope...nope...nope. They say this about Cavalier King Charles Spaniels "The Cavalier are in general healthy puppies, without many issues", except this breed is generally not as healthy as it can be. The site's goal is to sell puppies at any costs. A responsible breeder would not be selling their dogs through this site.
  • PawPawrazziPawPawrazzi San FranciscoPosts: 7,342Member ✭✭
    edited 17 June, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback Lily! Isabelle, thank you for the compliment, however, I do feel I always have more to learn about the doggy world. I am certainly no expert. I do, very much, value the opinions of members of the Dogster Community. I have learned so much from the Community, and as a result, feel I am a much better caregiver to my pets. This is from NorCalPets FAQ: : 1. ALL breeders are USDA Certified & Inspected 2. Breeders must have puppies vet checked and current on all shots 3. Puppies parents must be current on vaccines, health checked and free of any congenital defects. 4. Facilities must be kept in clean form and available for inspection at any time. 5. All puppies must be de-wormed every two weeks 6. All puppies must be home-raised with tender loving care. 7. All breeders must have 5 years experience before we sell their first litter. I personally don't see how this operation can verify that the thousands of breeders on the site qualify under these guidelines. Is this Web site considered a puppy "dealer" or "broker?" I am looking for the correct terminology for these type of Web sites. I am asking for your feedback, because I don't really know much about these Web sites that feature thousands of puppies and hundreds of breeds. I am hoping that some of the responsible and ethical breeders in the Community will enlighten me. And for the record, I am not looking to buy a puppy. I just rescued Hank a few months ago and I have my hands full! BOL! ~d..
  • FlickaLucasClNerysCeltSaxonFlickaLucasClNerysCeltSaxon Norman OKPosts: 56,680Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 June, 2015
    Whilst I an not a dog breeder.. I have in the past been around some of the best working dog breeders in the UK and some in Germany. This site raises every red flag I possess ! They simply CANNOT verify as you have mentioned. It would be interesting to see somehow if they have any connection with certain puppymiller farmers of the Mid West and NE. Whatever... I wouldnt touch these people with the proverbial Barge Pole(probably an English phrase !! ) Rule of thumb.... advertising access to "thousands" of pups... not rocket science... not reputable... just my thoughts.

Flicka (My Beautiful Angel) & Lucas (My Gentle Angel) & Cleo (My Beloved Angel) Nerys, Celt & Saxon
    Flicka's Page
    Lucas's Page
    Cleo's Page
    Nerys's Page
    Celt's Page
    Saxon's Page

• Steve_GreenSteve_Green CrystalPosts: 73,141Member ✭✭✭
    edited 18 June, 2015
    I think Flicka is on the right track... I have absolutely no proof of this, but there is little doubt in my own mind that this is just a broker for a network of puppy mills. Notice that the "breeders" page lists no breeders at all, just a big blank white space. And a quick visit to the search engine shows hits for norcalpups.com on a slew of sites that are all basically just advertising. Somebody is definitely in this for the money, and putting money into it. Nothing wrong with that, except when it's done at the expense of the welfare of the animals, not to mention taking advantage of people in the process. This website just doesn't pass the smell test! :-/
  • Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc BangorPosts: 109,052Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 June, 2015
    Oh I am not in anyway an expert on dogs, though I have adopted many... But 2 things stood out when I visited the site. The first was the Disclaimer page.. Basically a page to cover their own butts in case a pup is not the perfect dog or does not come with registration papers The second was the size and breeds of the dogs... they deal with just a very limited number of small breed dogs.. Are there that many legitamate breeders of these types of dogs or are they offering to sell puppies for anyone who just happens to breed these specific types of pups

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

• HersheyHershey San FranciscoPosts: 67,658Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 June, 2015
    I hope you get the feedback from legitimate breeders that you're looking for, Lori. Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near an outfit like this, for all the reasons already listed.

Hershey
    My motto: When you're chocolate, life is sweet!

My Welcome Page

Winkie's Welcome Page

• Den VukDen Vuk Posts: 5Member
    edited 29 June, 2015
    Fully agree
  • DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    edited 30 June, 2015
    Looks like a puppy mill to me. Too many breeds. I agree with Lily. Run the other way.
  • PawPawrazziPawPawrazzi San FranciscoPosts: 7,342Member ✭✭
    edited 14 July, 2015
    Thanks everyone! =;
  • scott777scott777 Posts: 5Member
    Remember it's always better to get your puppy or dog from a rescue or shelter. There are so many dogs that need a family. I've included a link below that has 1000's of Dog Rescue and Shelter listings from all 50 states.

<a href="http://www.scottspuppypalace.com">Dog Rescues and Shelters</a>