How do you prevent a dog with white fur from getting stains around the mouth?

Lately its been a little hot at home, and I've been drinking a little more water than usual. Now the fur around my mouth is beginning to turn brown. How can I prevent this from happening?

Best Answers

• Christina SandersChristina Sanders Sherwood ParkPosts: 87Member
    Accepted Answer
    I have this problem and Mommy has tried many things to stop it. The best have been to put me on purified/distilled water instead of tap water and to change my kibble so it's comprised of only the white meats. By keeping me away from tap water my hairs are no longer being stained around my mouth as there are no more minerals in it. Since I've been off of red meat kibble I don't get stains when I am eating my food. Those two things have made a huge difference! It might work for you too.
  • Michelle SheldonMichelle Sheldon PhoenixPosts: 1,176Member
    Accepted Answer
    And the mail reason you get those stains is because the fur ends up in their mouth. You can also have your groomer just trim the fur right there around the mouth short. I am a groomer and this is what I do with white dog with stains. Its fast and easy and you can't tell its been trimmed.
  • Airaka AndrewsAiraka Andrews saint louisPosts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    The pet stores sell a shampoo that will get all the stains off your white dog. It does really work!