are you thinking of having your dog's microchip removed?

I'm very concerned with the link between microchips and cancer. Does anyone here have an experience having a microchip removed?

Best Answers

• Sarah PowerSarah Power Posts: 10,826Member
    Accepted Answer
    After reading up a bit on this in another forum I am part of, I learned that its a very rare thing, only four in over 10 million HomeAgain brand chips have been confirmed connected cases of cancer/microchip implant in dogs. So in my opinion, the benefits far outweigh the risk.
  • Carole TrammCarole Tramm Posts: 4,348Member
    Accepted Answer
    If your dog has been chipped recently with "Home Again" brand, I would have it removed; a vet tech I know's clinic stopped chipping dogs with Home Again once they got word that the company could get ahold of just about any information on the owner about it such as credit card numbers and even social security card numbers. Not to frighten you, just a warning. The chips are about the size of a grain of rice, so I wouldn't think removing them would be too big of a hassle as long as it hasn't 'traveled'. If you're looking for an alternative to microchipping and can keep your dog confined well, you could invest in a slip-on collar (one that's adjustable) and put a "Top Tag Pet ID" on it...we've had Daddy for almost a year now with his adjustable slip on collar and he has yet to get it off. There is the worry of if (s)he gets stolen, but if you have dated pictures of them at your residence with your family and adoption papers/puppy contract, you have proof that he's yours.
  • Ashley KuehnAshley Kuehn Queen CreekPosts: 23Member
    Accepted Answer
    microchipping is the best option!!! I work at a shelter and I couldn't tell you how many lost pets were found because of that microchip. Even YEARS later, people were reunited with their lost family member. I have recently also heard of the link to cancer, but have never seen a dog that got this due to the microchip. I have all my pets chipped, and always recommend it to everyone I know.