How do I know if it is time to put my dog to sleep?

Alycia BresinaAlycia Bresina LakewoodPosts: 1Member
My 6year old pitt was diagnosed with lymphoma 3 1/2 months ago. Her health and apatite are fading, but she still seems so happy and full of life. Today her eyes were almost swolen shut and have turned red. I think it may be time to put her to sleep, but how can I suggest that to my boyfriend? We love this dog more than anything, and I would never want her to suffer, but I would hate to end her life too soon. What do I do?

Best Answers

• JULIE REYNOLDSJULIE REYNOLDS St. LouisPosts: 10,984Member
    Accepted Answer
    I lost my Angel to lymphoma. :( It is so hard. She was still wagging her tail when she saw me even on her last day. But she had stopped eating and got very weak and started stumbling on her walks. I loved her more than anything and I just thought, would I want to live in her condition? And my answer was no. I promised her when she got sick that I would not let her suffer and I didn't. Plus I thought, if I didn't do it, she was just going to starve to death, and I couldn't do that to her. I'm so sorry you're going through this. *hugs*
  • karen birtchkaren birtch woodstockPosts: 5Member
    Accepted Answer
    does she look like shes in pain? or is she just trying to make u happy and not make you sad. Give her some time but i doubt she will get any better spend time with her and take pictures and videos. it seems like shes just trying to make you happy. sometimes you have to put yourself in her pawprints. im sorry for u and ur lovely dog but this is all up to you, i can only suggest. god be with u and her on her journey.
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    I'd say that the time comes when your dog is in pain and/or is suffering and there is no way to stop the pain and/pr suffering.
  • Tiffany MitchellTiffany Mitchell IOWAPosts: 6,792Member
    Accepted Answer
    This is what I read sometime ago: Make a list of the top 5 things your pup loves to do, when they are not able to enjoy these anymore, it will help to let you know they are ready to go. Hope this helps... God Bless.
  • Blair HillBlair Hill NewtonPosts: 934Member
    Accepted Answer
    If it should be that I grow frail and weak And pain should keep me from my sleep, Then will you do what must be done, For this -- the last battle -- can't be won. You will be sad I understand, But don't let grief then stay your hand, For on this day, more than the rest, Your love and friendship must stand the test. We have had so many happy years, You wouldn't want me to suffer so. When the time comes, please, let me go. Take me to where to my needs they'll tend, Only, stay with me till the end And hold me firm and speak to me Until my eyes no longer see. I know in time you will agree It is a kindness you do to me. Although my tail its last has waved, From pain and suffering I have been saved. Don't grieve that it must be you Who has to decide this thing to do; We've been so close -- we two -- these years, Don't let your heart hold any tears. -- Unknown