What are the dog laws in my state?

I live in SC and I didn't know what info. that I might need to know as far as the laws.One thing I heard was you can't leave your pet in the car at all-even with food,water,and air...So idk....

Best Answers

• Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    Call the sheriff's office and ask him. That's what we did to find out whether or not it was against the law for a dog to ride in the back of a pick-up truck.
  • Shannon FordShannon Ford RichmondPosts: 527Member
    Accepted Answer
    You need to know your county laws more so then the state laws. And also the laws in any of the counties you and your dog go to a lot. Call the sheriff's office or police station (depending on what you have) and ask. Make sure you call the non-emergency number and make sure you tell the person that you are making an "advice call about dog laws". That way s/he knows where best to direct your call. You might also want to try the local animal control office. Also check out this site http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/laws.html#anchor_13053 (sorry don't know how to make clickable links). It is about SC animal laws but it can be a little hard to understand. But I didn't see anything about leaving your dog in a car. I would still call just to make sure.
  • Chris & Brian CrawfordChris & Brian Crawford Posts: 1,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    In most places, animal laws depend on your county or city more than on the state, so I would check into your local laws instead of state laws. One place online that you can try is Municode, here - http://www.municode.com/Resources/OnlineLibrary.asp Simply click on your state, and then select the county or city you live in. This will bring up the complete text of your local codes. If you need additional information, the place to get in touch with is your local (again, county or city) animal control department. If you live in an area that does not have animal control, you would contact the sheriff's office instead. You can usually find contact information for both, and maybe even information on animal rules, by looking for your county/city's website and searching that site. Most areas have their animal rules on their county websites, at least in an abbreviated version.