i want to be a vet soon, and i wanted to know what type of animals i should be studying about. pleas

Meredith mMeredith m Posts: 2Member
vet, animals, what a vet studies

Best Answers

• Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    The best thing you can do is to inquire at your local college that offers veterinary courses and accreditation. That will give you an idea of what you should be looking for in terms of courses and reqirements. Also, check out this website: www.avma.org. They are the American Vet Association and they have some good links about studying to become a vet. Best of luck to you and congratulations on deciding to make your living helping animals!
  • Accepted Answer
    As far as "what type of animals [you] should be studying about," that's a decision YOU need to make. In vet school, you will have to take courses that cover (almost) all types of animals. Avians, Canines, Felines, Equines, Porcine, Ovine, Bovine, ... the list goes on. But you can "specialize" in your education. You can choose to focus on small animals, large animals, exotic animals, equines, etc. Likewise, you can also specialize in a particular subject like nutrition, behavior, reproduction, oncology, orthopedics, etc. Like Jack said, it'd be a good idea for you to research AVMA, or your local VMA, and vet schools you are interested in to 1) see what they have to offer and 2) see what exactly is required. Best wishes to you and your ventures! Kudos to you for wanting to dedicate your life to the health and well-being of animals!!! I think you will find it most rewarding.
  • paula Allenpaula Allen Posts: 83Member
    Accepted Answer
    I think it's great that you want to be a vet! A good place to start would be to get a few books about first aid for dogs and cats. It will teach you stuff that will be helpful to you even if you don't become a vet, and it's a good way to start to learn some of the basics about pet health care. You might find this article about becoming a vet interesting: http://www.talktothevet.com/faqvetcareer.HTM Good Luck!
  • Annie SiresAnnie Sires Posts: 27Member
    Accepted Answer
    I have two vet friends. One is in clinic work, helping small mammals and food inspections (He's in the military and that's what vets do in the military) and taking care of the military working dogs. My other friend demonstrates sonogram machines to veterinary clinics. She will be doing a trial for another kind of machine in the next couple of months. With that, she will be helping clinics that are participating in the trial to ensure they are doing the correct usage of the machine and that the results are properly categorized. In the past she has worked with the government (read: paperwork and rules) side of Vet med. So, the questions you should ask are: what kind of animals would you like to handle? Do you actually want to do clinic work? I myself worked at the National Zoo for a while. I would work at a clinic for a while and see if it's for you. then you can look at other options and see if those are for you! And good luck!
  • Karen MordenKaren Morden Port HuronPosts: 1,174Member
    Accepted Answer
    I'm glad to hear that you are going to be a Vet. In school you are ask to work on a variety of critters. So when you are in school you may even have a change of heart to what you really want to work on.Going in it could be large animals andonce you get there it could end up being exotics and you could end up at a zoo. I don't know what state your are in but in Ohio we use to get alot of students shadow for a week to figure out if small animals is what they really wanted to do.So if you are still in High Schooll then you may speak with your counselor to find out if they offer this through your school.You may also get a job working any where in the animal field. I started by working at a kennel that not only boarded but also did grooming and training and exercised dogs.You could do some in home dog sitting or be a neighborhood person that walks dogs for a buck or two then donate it towards the humane societies or put it away for your school fund. Best of luck to you!