What dog do you think would be OK to stay in a small room, go out once or twice a day and be alone

I am going to collage and I want to know what kind of dog to get so I will always have a friend.

Best Answers

• Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    You'll probably get the best answer by researching breeds yourself. Since we don't know you or your personality, we can only give suggestions. Consider the suggestions, but ultimatly, it's your decision and your research. Now to think of a suggestion to give.... Hmmm.... Pekinese, maybe? They're low energy I think.
  • Christy FChristy F Oak Forest/LakewoodPosts: 37Member
    Accepted Answer
    Honestly, that is not a good lifestyle for any dog. It may be best to wait to find your canine friend when you can devote a little more time to him/her. Certain dogs can become destructive when left cooped up and alone for long periods of time and most dogs will need to urinate more than once/twice a day. But if you find that you can be home a bit more and devote more time, an adult small breed of some sort (low energy) would be best. I have a Bichon that likes to play actively for about 30 minutes all together in a day, and sleep, cuddle, and sit for most of the day. But my Pit mix on the otehr hand needs to run and play for probably two to three full hours a day and be occupied a lot longer than that for down time... they're both adults, so I'm thinking most larger breeds are not good for being in a small place for such a long time.
  • Accepted Answer
    Well it depends on what apartment you are going to be living in. Most complex's allow most breeds within particular weight limits. But they will let you know. Now if you are going to be living in a dorm dogs are USUALLY not allowed, unless in disability situations and then I'm sure they allow service dogs. (such as seeing eye dogs) In that case your best bet for a companion or friend is to get a room mate. This is the second time I've seen a question like this today, it is pretty much common knowledge that pets are not allowed in dorms on campus
  • Accepted Answer
    I absolutely do not think it would be o.k. for any dog breed...I am not even sure if I think it would be o.k. for cat.
  • Alex OAlex O Posts: 175Member
    Accepted Answer
    I think you're failing to recognize the dog's needs, and you definitely need to reflect on what role it should play in your life. I'm sorry, but it's selfish to want a dog that you plan to leave alone for half the day in a small room just so it can be around for you when you want it. My advice to you - don't get a dog. Get good human friends.
  • Rick/Sherry GoldsteinRick/Sherry Goldstein Posts: 12Member
    Accepted Answer
    Dogs are somewhat like people, they need contact, affection and love - place yourself a dogs position and visualize what it might be like to be locked into a small room for hours on end with nothing but the sound of your own breath. That should give you a pretty good idea on how a dog would feel. But if you yourself need contact, affection and love and really want a dog - and they do have to be left alone for hours - be sure your new little guys gets plenty of exercise, leave the T.V. on to the animal channel and supply him/her with lots of toys....
  • Cressida MagaroCressida Magaro Posts: 1,569Member
    Accepted Answer
    If you are living in a dorm on a college campus (are you the same person that asked a similar question before?) then you won't be permitted to have a dog. College is really not the best time to own a dog. You move around a lot, you don't have a steady source of good income (dogs cost a lot of money--what will you do if your dog swallows a sock and you need to come up with $1500 for surgery to remove it?), college is 4 years but dogs live for 15 years, so what happens after you graduate? It's very uncertain. It's really best to wait. See what pets your dorm allows you to have (many allow fish and some allow reptiles or small animals like hamsters) and try that out first.
  • Chris & Brian CrawfordChris & Brian Crawford Posts: 1,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    I know you really want a dog, but I don't think that your college lifestyle would allow for a dog - at least it wouldn't allow for a dog to be cared for in the way that a dog needs to be cared for. Dogs are very social animals and they will get into mischief when they are left alone for long periods of time and don't get enough exercise and mental stimulation. Any dog, even a small breed, is going to need to go for walks at least twice a day, and spend time training and playing games. It sounds like your schedule might be too busy. Keep in mind that even when you're back from school, you probably need to do homework, have a job, have friends over, etc. and may not really have the time for a dog. Honestly, I would get a pet that doesn't require the amount of attention that a dog needs. Cats do a lot better in this type of situation and you don't need to walk them - but they do need play time and affection, too.
  • Accepted Answer
    Given the lifestyle you'll be leading, perhaps it'd be best for you to wait until you're a bit more settled before you even think of getting a dog. You might want to consider a feline companion, as they do well on their own. Cats make wonderful companions! Trust me, I never ever thought I'd ever be a "cat person." But I got "suckered" into taking one several years ago, and I wouldn't give her up for anything in the world! It's not good for (or fair to) ANY dog to be confined to a small area with such minimal attention being given. That's my not so humble opinion.
  • Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    I hate to discourage you, but I also believe that this is far from an ideal sitation for a dog. First, what you're talking about is the best case scenario. In the best case, you'll be spending 1/2 a day with the dog, but in reality, it will more than likely end up being much less than that by the time you add up your studying, social life and maybe even a part time job. Having a dog is a HUGE responsibility and getting one to be your friend may SOUND like a good motivation, but it really does put your desires before the needs of the dog. Honestly, I wouldn't want you take on the responsibilty of having a dog in college for a lot of reasons. It is a burden of responsibilty that you don't really need right now in your life, and it isn't fair to the dog you'll own if you can't spend more time with it. You could volunteer at a local dog shelter. You can spend time with dogs and even possibly help foster them after you get more responsible and stable. Enjoy your freedom!
  • Kathleen CoxKathleen Cox Southern, CAPosts: 260Member
    Accepted Answer
    Go to college - focus on your study habits, friends, etc. When you are finished with college, then it will be time for a best friend. Dogs, and cats too, need human love, devotion, nurturing time, constant attention and companionship. It would not be fair for a dog to have to live by your hectic college schedule. You will not have time to devote to any pet when you are cramming for finals, meeting new friends and all the other wonderful things college offers for the humankind. Be fair - wait and get a pet when you have the time to properly care for it.
  • Karen MordenKaren Morden Port HuronPosts: 1,174Member
    Accepted Answer
    It is not a good situation to have a dog in. If you really wnat a companion and you have really thought about the life long commitment then you should consider a cat.They don't follow to many routines and they can use a litter box if they need to go potty.you will not even potty train a dog on those sort of hours. I would also reccomend that you volunteer at your local shelter in your spare time,walking dogs and maybe even bathing them for the shelter.That way you will get your dog fix and have a buddy to go home to.
  • Jade JarockiJade Jarocki Posts: 107Member
    Accepted Answer
    I dont think thats really good for any breed. You need to have time to spend with it.
  • Karen VigilKaren Vigil RenoPosts: 1,251Member
    Accepted Answer
    Hmmmm, well I guess we need to re-home all four of our dogs because they are home all day alone without human contact. They do have each other but I have to disagree with what is being said here. I have a girlfriend with one dog, she also works all day and he is just fine home alone. I guarantee out of the almost 380,000 dogs on Dogster most of the owners are working during the day. To me the big question is; being that your a collage student are you home in the evenings to take care of a dog? Will he/she be left alone a lot more than you think? Your young and a dog can be a lot of work, time and a huge commitment, especially at first. Since I don't know you personally I'm not going to judge you or your situation but I hope you stop and think about how a dog can cramp your lifestyle somewhat. He/she has to come first in your life not your friends are partying. You can always volunteer at a nearby shelter and make all kinds of doggy friends, without the same huge commitment.
  • alyssa redmorealyssa redmore longmontPosts: 78Member
    Accepted Answer
    you may want to think this thru a bit more. dogs and college lifestyle DO NOT MIX! you are going to be so busy going to class (on very odd schedules) and meeting new people, not to mention the homework load, that your poor pooch won't be able to top your priority list. what if the dog doesn't like being left alone so often and barks all day while you're gone? your neighbors will complain and you'll be forced to move and/or give the dog up. no one wins there. senior year or grad school might be okay as your schedule is calmer and you'll likely have more income to handle pet related expenses. please, please, please reconsider the decision to get a dog right now. go to college. enjoy it - don't worry, you'll make friends! add a dog to your life later - many will be waiting and wagging. :-) good luck!
  • Erin DeVeberErin DeVeber London / UWO areaPosts: 373Member
    Accepted Answer
    There are a lot of people who have answered this question who do not believe that college is a good time to have a dog. This is true for most college students, but not for all of us! I am a second year Mechanical engineering student with a dog, and some of my friends have dogs also. (I had a dog befeore Tesla, but she was old and died of cancer). Having a dog works well for me because I am not the typical "university student" type. To be quite blunt, I do not have a very active social life. I've got a couple of good friends, but most of my time is devoted to studying and playing with my dog. I also run each day before class, and I will take Tesla with me when she is fully grown. My schedule is such that I am never in class for more than three consecutive hours, and I live 10 minutes from campus. Take a few months, evaluate your lifestyle honestly, and then if you still want to be responsible for another life, start researching breeds. Even inactive dogs need lots of love!
  • christina pricechristina price Posts: 56Member
    Accepted Answer
    no dog wants a life like that! how would you feel if you were put in a room and left there? but instead of a dog you should get a cat. they don't mind thins like that.
  • Kathleen DonovanKathleen Donovan Posts: 4,178Member
    Accepted Answer
    NONE! All pups need companionship, love, excersize, interaction with humans and other pups. Buy a rubber plant.
  • Brittany TurnerBrittany Turner OlathePosts: 5Member
    Accepted Answer
    I would go to college and evaluate if your lifestyle could handle all that comes with pet ownership. Both my boyfriend and I are college students who work full-time. We have two dogs together. They are MinPin, Yorkie and Doxin mix. We got them at the same time and they are from the same litter. We leave at different times for school/work so our puppies aren't left alone for a long period of time. The pups get out and play during our lunch breaks, and so on. What you need to figure out, is when you get home from school or work, are you going to want to come home and relax? Or are you going to want to clean up after a puppy full of energy because he/she has been alone all day?
  • Barbara LandkammerBarbara Landkammer San PedroPosts: 4Member
    Accepted Answer
    I suggest you wait....what you are describing is no life for any dog in fact this borders on animal abuse. Get a Parakeet