Passing away of childhood pet, grieving period?

My childhood pet, Lucky, passed away in Jan. 2008. I've been living out on the West Coast since Aug. 2006 and haven't been back to see him. I didn't get a chance to see him before he passed away, and I feel so guilty about it. I miss him so much and there are times when I think about him and I start crying. I know it varies for each person but when does the sadness stop and I can actually look at other dogs and watch the Dog Whisperer without having to choke back tears at times? It might sound like a dumb question but I wanted to get some advice from you guys. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Best Answers

• April PlourdeApril Plourde Posts: 248Member
    Accepted Answer
    I recently lost a childhood pet as well. These things take time. Don't bottle in your grief. Talk about Lucky with your friends and family, and remember the good times you had together. Take care of yourself :-) Dory's Mommy
  • Angie AllenAngie Allen ShelbyvillePosts: 5,110Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Although they were not my childhood pets I recently lost 4 of my babies in Nov. '07. I have had a really hard time with their loss. I have found that making a scrapbook of them helps, Dogster is GREAT, if I had not found Dogster I really would have lost my mind!! The grieving process is different for each person, try to think of the wonderful memories you shared and know that although you had not seen Lucky in awhile he knew you loved him! Lucky is now young again running and playing with all the other pups at Rainbow Bridge and watching over you! This was not a dumb question...I totally understand where you are coming from. You will be in my thoughts and prayers!!
  • Amber HernandezAmber Hernandez Sugar LandPosts: 470Member
    Accepted Answer
    The first thing I did was type down all the things I loved about him. What things around me reminded me of him, little things that you never thought about...like how THIS place in your home was best for sunbathing, or how he looked so silly after eating his birthday treat, or how he reacted to neighbors, birds, other pets, (right now I'm on the verge of tears and this was Summer of '06!). I still have the links to two things I wish I did: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/Org/PetLoss/ To me, if there is anyone I'd ask WHY to, I'd be a vet orientated hotline, (I constantly asked why about the condition that took my cat). I'm confident they could answer a ton more than that there too. I wanted answers...even from the horses mouth: http://www.dawnallen.org/ I'm skeptical at heart, but after his death I still wanted a connection. I suggest to always keep a picture up at your home; facing Lucky will enforce that he's always there.
  • Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    First of all, don't beat yourself up for feeling the emotions you're feeling right now. Lucky's death is traumatic, and there's no reason why you shouldn't be greiving as much as if he were a person. If other people around you don't understand that or try to make you feel badly about that, that is their problem. Everyone feels differently and recovers from a loss at different rates. I can tell you that when my dog before Jack passed away, it took me months before I could even look at another dog, and nearly a year before touched another dog. I can also tell you that, sadly, while there will ALWAYS be pain in his loss, there WILL be a day when you wake up and think of him, and it is more about how happy he was or how happy he made you and your family and a happy memory, rather than the sadness of his death. Hang in there.....you WILL feel better. In the meantime, just try to let it run its course without being hard on yourself. :-)