My pekingese Duke is having issues with walking. He just won't walk with his leash. Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    If he is afraid of the leash: Associate the leash with positive things and experiences. As a start, place the leash on the floor and leave it there for the dog to investigate when he is ready. You probably should watch, so that you can encourage him to do so and give him treats when he does. Use your calmest, but most confident, voice. After a few days of that, pick the leash up in front of him. Verbally encourage Duke to sniff it and give him a treat for doing so. But don't put it in his face. Just hold it out and talk to him in a confident and calm way. After a few days of that, snap the leash on him, verbally encouraging him all the way. And give him a treat for letting you put his leash on. If he isn't afraid of the leash, just do this next step. If he is, follow the above instructions and then do this step. So, he won't walk with the leash. Bring a treat. When he won't walk with his leash, start walking away. If he resists, coax him along with a treat and lots of verbal praise.
  • Nancy HolwellNancy Holwell Posts: 61Member
    Accepted Answer
    I found a good article with tips on leash training. It starts: "First, remember that until your dog learns to walk loose leash, all walks are training walks. Keep these training walks numerous, short, and positive for your dog. The article is rather long so I will give you a link to the entire article: http://dogtime.com/good-leash-behavior-aspca.html