I am looking for the "grandfather law" petaining to pets

Tina DillmanTina Dillman Cusseta, AlPosts: 3Member
my mother is getting a larger dog for protection, lease has no weight limit.Attorney said is ok to get large dog. before landlord changes the lease to a weight limit, I am searching for something that will allow my mom to keep the large dog AFTER a weight limit is added to the lease "Grandfather Law", but cant find it pertaining to dogs. Can anyone help?

Best Answers

• Tiffany MitchellTiffany Mitchell IOWAPosts: 6,792Member
    Accepted Answer
    Hopefully someone can answer about the law part. Does it have to be a large dog? Can your grandmother handle a large dog? Taking it for lots of walks, etc. I only ask because there is no way my grandmother could handle a large dog. She has a schnauzer that is devoted to her, barks at people approaching the house and is a great companion since my grandfather died.
  • Kim CamarataKim Camarata New OrleansPosts: 99Member
    Accepted Answer
    I also do not know about the legal aspects of this issue, but your grandmother getting a large dog is a bad idea. Unless she can take the dog on runs or at least two brisk 45 minute walks a day, she should not have a large dog. It could be detrimental to both her and the dog's health. Consider a medium size or small dog. Also research breeds to find out which ones would suit her energy levels.
  • c renee adairc renee adair The Sooner State!Posts: 5,058Member
    Accepted Answer
    Well, since your lease has no weight limit, your Mom can certainly get a large dog & not be in any violation of her lease. Once the specifics of the lease change, those restrictions would certainly apply to new tenants and usually the tenants under the old lease would be grandfathered in (allowed to be held to the old contract standard), but that will depend on your situation and the landlord..... you would want to consult an atty. to be sure.